stripe invoice payment script required

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Karimbo, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,766 180
    Hi I need some sort of payment portal that's independant (runs on it's own ideally) which I can use to perform invoice payments using stripe.

I used cardsave up til recently, when their costs for corporate cards just got a bit ridiculous (2.8% for some corporate cards).

I could put in a url for card payment at the bottom of the pdf invoice for customers to pay by card. It's a secondary option where I state that bank transfer is preferred.

I'd say around 60% of payments are made by bank transfer and the rest are all card.

Stripe have an invocing option where I can send a custom link for customers to pay by card. But I can't block the email link from being sent to the customer after I create the e-payment url. So this could increase the ratio of card payments.

I was thinking if I could get hold of script that will allow me to send a link the the customer with the invoice number, order total, customer email pre-filled (and non-editable). where they proceed with the details and enter the payment details into stripe. That would ensure the stripe payment page remains in the background and doesn't eat away on the bank transfer payments.

Is there any option like this available?

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,184 261
    I believe stripe have this built into their payment gateway called "Stripe Checkout"

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  3. Karimbo

1,766 180
  4. Ecommerce-Help

Ecommerce-Help UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 5
    Invoice Ninja can use Stripe.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 By: Ecommerce-Help Member since: Jan 7, 2020
  5. Karimbo

1,766 180
  6. Ecommerce-Help

Ecommerce-Help UKBF Contributor Free Member

42 5
    I thought there was an opensource self hosted version of Invoice Ninja.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 By: Ecommerce-Help Member since: Jan 7, 2020
  7. Karimbo

1,766 180
    I'll look into the invoice ninja open source (self hosted) script.

The one in codecanyon isn't great, it's localised to the US. One of the customers enquired about UK localisation in the comments and the script writer just said "it's up to the customer to do" which is a bit of a nuisance.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  8. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,383 1,761
    You are worrying about the wrong things if you are worrying about $10 per month.

Lots of accounting systems have stripe integrated into their invoicing, e.g. KashFlow and Xero.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  9. dotcomdude

dotcomdude UKBF Regular Full Member

321 42
    Wave does invoice payment via Stripe

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 By: dotcomdude Member since: Jul 27, 2018
  10. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,695 1,851
    He's worrying about exactly the right thing.

A piece of software like that is worth, what, £100? £200?

By charging $10 per month they're asking for $1,200 over the course of the next 10 years. That's taking the p*ss. You could probably get a custom script done for less than that ...and you own it forever!

People need to wise up to the subscription con! Unless there's some ongoing service, paying by subscription almost always works out more expensive - a ton more expensive. That's why crafty companies have been moving over to that model.

Worrying about the wrong things?! How quickly we forget the lessons the previous generations have taught us. Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves.

And it's exactly that vulnerability the con artists are exploiting - modern stupidity of looking at the short term.

A friend of mine wrote this article for Hackernoon - it should be compulsory reading for anyone in business.

When faced with a subscription service we should always ask ourselves about Total Cost of Ownership and, something people don't seem to consider, the risk of being held to ransom. Yes, I'm talking about hosted solutions and where the risks of external hosting are probably higher, not lower, than hosting it yourself!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Posted: Jan 19, 2020 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  11. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

630 124
    I think part of the attraction of subscription services to buyers is that they are frightened of running their own IT, and this way someone else takes care of it. In small businesses its often because they do not have (enough) in house IT to run things. In bigger ones its CYA by the people who should be taking care of it (if anything goes wrong its the suppliers fault).

The CEO of a big transport company (one of the biggest in the UK at the time) once told me that they regarded their IT as a source of competitive advantage (their own software which made them more efficient). A far wiser approach in my view, and an opportunity many miss.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  12. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

630 124
    Also, option value: you have more options in the future if you control everything. You can move to different software more easily, you can modify it, etc.

Then there is the risk of a service getting discontinued - say, it gets taken over and the new owners want customers to move to their equivalent. They save money that way - its called "synergies".

Finally, people are not looking at the long term. They think its a waste to spend a £1,000 to save £20/month when that is in fact a 24% RoI.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  13. Karimbo

1,766 180
    I think clinton said it best. I did my accounts for y/e 2019 recently and I reviewed all my spending throughout the year and I came to the realisation that I was overspending close to £1000 on unnecessary charges a year.

Moving from worldpay to stripe saved me £320. Mobile phone from the o2 to sky £100. And various other expenditures.

If you have the attitude of "what's £8 a month", over several different things it will add up massively.

Posted: Jan 19, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  14. Karimbo

1,766 180
    Invoice Ninja was a bit overpowered for what I need. I dont need an invoicing software, something to just generate an e-checkout page.

I have recently found this https://tillypay.com/ this will do the job for me, no need to tinker with any scripts

Posted: Feb 1, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  15. Hello-Internet

Hello-Internet UKBF Contributor Full Member

36 3
    Posted: Feb 3, 2020 By: Hello-Internet Member since: Jan 16, 2020
  16. Karimbo

1,766 180
    why the lol?

its free, theyre stripe fees (provided at cost), they'll charge high users later.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  17. Hello-Internet

Hello-Internet UKBF Contributor Full Member

36 3
    You can use Stripe (Checkout) and do the same thing and keep all your data within the Strip platform and create Invoices and Recurring payments.

Posted: Feb 3, 2020 By: Hello-Internet Member since: Jan 16, 2020
  18. Karimbo

1,766 180
    I guess i need to get a coder to script this for me. Hopefully $50 should cover the basic functionality i need.

Tillypay is fine for now, its already saving me money. Up til now, ive been creating a stripe invoice, it sends an email to the client automatically whdn its created and client just pays by card. With tillypay i can make card payment the last option and push for bank transfer as the preferred choice.

Posted: Feb 7, 2020 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011