Strange?? Scam??

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Falkirk300zx, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falkirk300zx

Falkirk300zx UKBF Contributor Free Member

55 2
    Today I received a call from a chap from Kids Safe and I'm sure he said they were a charity and wanted £300 for the bronze package to supply a board game to a local school of my choice.

I suspected that this may be a con/scam of some sort, so I told him I'd look at their site and he said OK and we would talk on Friday. After a quick online search, it turns out that there is a charity called Kidsafe UK and this company is called Kidsafe. However, looking at the sites there is a disclaimer from one company in regards to the other.

Kidsafe claim Kidsafe UK is a Ltd company

Kidsafe UK say that Kidsafe is a Ltd company

Any thoughts on this?

PS I'm not giving any money!

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
  2. Moneyman

Moneyman UKBF Legend Free Member

2,729 785
    A lot of these help the.... by being on a board game etc are to be looked on with scepticism. Normally it is 80%+ to the guy who makes a cheap game to donate to a school nobody plays it and the charity get a few pence. How many board games cost £300 and how many companies will be on one game.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 By: Moneyman Member since: May 3, 2008
  3. mkb

mkb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 1
    Sounds mighty suspicious to me but maybe thats cos I now view all unsolicited sales calls with extreme scepticism ;)

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 By: mkb Member since: Dec 5, 2008
  4. chalkie99

chalkie99 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

842 252
    Typed "kids safe scam" into Google and came straight up with this thread on the Money Saving Expert forum.

Might be worth a read.

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 By: chalkie99 Member since: Nov 14, 2008
  5. Falkirk300zx

55 2
    That thread came up when I did my original investigation.

It would appear that one company is using the particulars of another, although on paper they clearly state the opposite.

Just wondering if anyone else had been contacted!

Posted: Jul 29, 2009 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
  6. Macaque

Macaque UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I got a call from Kidsafe yesterday. The chap on the phone definitely said that they were a charity (I've since found out that they're not).

He mentioned the Green Cross Code campaign and the old Tufty Club campaign and implied a link between Kidsafe and those organisations. I agreed to donate enough to supply equipment to a single school.

Last night I searched the web for information and found the link above, which referred to a scam a couple of years ago.

Today I received a "pro-forma invoice" from them (quick eh?) and a pamphlet. There is no registered charity number on either of these.:( I also looked at their website "kids-safe"

It seems I bought some safety board games for a school (for £300) from a limited company, not a charity, which has no affiliation with any of the safety campaigns mentioned in their sales call.

I phoned Kidsafe, explained my concerns about the way they do business and cancelled my sponsorship.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: Macaque Member since: Apr 28, 2010
  7. Falkirk300zx

55 2
    I am surprised that they cancelled your sponsorship without question!

If your new in business, the easiest way to dodge these people (and other cold callers) is to get use to saying "The owner isn't present, can I take your details and he/she will phone you back". Then that allows you to clear your head and allow you time to do background checks!

If your an old hand, everybody gets stung once....

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
  8. mofisto

mofisto UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Avoid this company at all costs. I used to work for them and while i cant prove that its a scam outright, the practices they employ seem to lead to that conclusion. Also avoid safe4kids. Its a separate company run by the same people.

I will post more info in the next few days.

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: mofisto Member since: May 3, 2010
  9. TestAPlug

TestAPlug UKBF Newcomer Free Member

270 35
    I believe in charities. Giving is great. £300 for a board game are you mad? Why not donate a board game to the school of your choice and cut out the middle man. Also get the local paper to cover the story. Everyones a winner except the scam artists. KEV

Posted: May 3, 2010 By: TestAPlug Member since: Jun 2, 2008
  10. mofisto

mofisto UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Not really got time to write much, so here are a few points about the company.

1/ We were told to claim that we were volunteers,so that the company was more likely to come across as a charity. In fact we were paid both a salary and 30% commission.
    2/ Told to say that Kidsafe was a non profit making child safety organisation. Again this is simply not true.
    3/ As was mentioned before our sales pitch included reference to both the tufty club and the green cross code. We had nothing to do with these campaigns but they were mentioned to try to give kidsafe legitimacy.

Posted: May 29, 2010 By: mofisto Member since: May 3, 2010
  11. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,112 3,369
    The Tufty Club? Is he still living in the sixties?

Posted: May 29, 2010 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  12. madbutcool

madbutcool UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I have been a supporter of Kidsafe and their sister organaisation for a few years, and I have to say that there are some dodgy companies out there that you should definately avoid, but these are the good guys.

I checked them out first and they have always done what they said they would, and I will continue supporting them, as my kids school loves the games they get.

It is easy to tar all companies with the same brush, but not all are the same, I have been ripped off before, but not by these guys.:)

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 By: madbutcool Member since: Jun 21, 2010
  13. adamsim

adamsim UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Thanks for your viewpoint madbutcool. However I think it's worth pointing out to everyone else that this is the only message you've ever left on this messageboard.

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 By: adamsim Member since: Aug 25, 2010
  14. the locksmith

the locksmith UKBF Newcomer Free Member

205 42
    I've had calls from this crowd and other very similar outfits about once or twice a year for the last God knows how long.

They :
    Always withold their number.
    Are unwilling to give a contact number to phone back.
    Nearly always say that it's a follow up call to thank me for previously agreeing to support "XYZ" campaign for schools etc etc. and that they now just need to finalise the invoice details.

On occassions they have become quite nasty when I tell them that I have in not agreed to anything of the sort.
    Usually they don't have my name, so I simply tell them that if I have agreed to something, then they will be able to tell me who they are talking to !

That usually results in them hanging up.

If feel sorry for the genuine charities looking for a few quid but I'm afraid this lot are doing a lot of damage to charities in general.

Posted: Aug 25, 2010 By: the locksmith Member since: Mar 31, 2010
  15. snoweyl

snoweyl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    All of the above threads are very interesting. We too have been contacting and stung by the above company. I have spoken to Trading Standards regarding this company. They don't say they are a charity but imply they are at first. When questioned why they are not registered they say it's because their staff are unpaid volunteers. Hmm!!

The games are rubbish, I cannot see any school using them and legally you are paying for what you get. If you want to give to a local school, Trading Standards suggest you donate locally.

Posted: Sep 1, 2010 By: snoweyl Member since: Sep 1, 2010
  16. mae1

mae1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I have given £200 to this company to sponsor a nominated school to receiving board game safety packs. They did not arrive, when I had to chase twice they only got 12 when they said that the school would get 60. Please be wary of this company. They are not a charity I've checked they are a ltd company. Making a profit it would seem out of small businesses and not delivering on their word. They also told me that they work as volunteers. I'll certainly be more careful next time.:(

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: mae1 Member since: May 23, 2012
  17. Falkirk300zx

55 2
    mae1, when anyone asks about charitable donations, tell them it's your employees who create a shortlist and then they decide who the business gives donations to. Ask them to send in their details and it'll be handed over to the staff for consideration.

Those not wanting a paper trail won't do it!

Posted: May 28, 2012 By: Falkirk300zx Member since: Mar 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.