Startup idea for finding and vetting factories in India

Discussion in 'International Business' started by ChrisGoodfellow, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisGoodfellow

ChrisGoodfellow UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

143 43
    Hey,

I came across a startup called Supplycompass that's been set up to match UK companies with clothing manufacturing factories in India (and later China). They're really early stage and so far only seem to have a few sites listed, but it struck me as a great idea, particularly given the number of people on the forum asking about this.

What do you think?

More details from the founder here.

Thanks,

Chirs

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 By: ChrisGoodfellow Member since: Jul 10, 2014
  2. Madison Welch

Madison Welch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    Seems at pretty early stage to me, too. But looks somehow professional.

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 By: Madison Welch Member since: Mar 7, 2017
  3. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    @Madison Welch Yep. Looks like they put a decent amount of money into the case studies.

4. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,085 1,092
    Hello Chris.

The enquiries that appear on this forum (regarding all types of import) are from smallish buyers. A smallish buyer needs a smallish sourcing agent, whom you will also find on UKBF.

As far as I can work out from the site (so far as it is) in essence this company is trying to set up as a large sourcing agent, so will be of little interest to smallish buyers. They say they have 'amazing' factories who can supply apparel, leather goods, furniture, plastics, consumer products. Reads as if they will create storybooks about each manufacturer. It's cheery and enthusiastic and 'modern'. Also looks like they are building up significant costs already - look at their recruitment adverts :- Buzz Creator; The Creative One. Someone has to pay for these people who are not contributing anything towards sourcing

Don't think they will have appeal to larger buyers (through this site), who expect an agent to source based on the enquiry, not based on house manufacturers. I wouldn't use them.
    G

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  5. ChrisGoodfellow

143 43
    It's a good point. sometimes you look at startups that have received a bit of investment and see hires like this. I think the difficulty is getting enough factories on their books, particularly if they put this much effort into profiling each of them.

Hopefully there's an opportunity/ edge when targeting smaller businesses.

6. UniHost2u

UniHost2u UKBF Contributor Full Member

35 3
    do you need for other country like bangladesh.
    please let me know.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 By: UniHost2u Member since: Mar 3, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.