Starting up a new drinks brand - few issues

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by JoshDrinkingA, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Gavin @ Eooro

Gavin @ Eooro UKBF Contributor Full Member

31 4
    My wife is going through this at the moment with her drinks product.

You cannot just stick liquid in a bottle (even water) and sell to a customer.....you need to get the whole "recipe" and "production process" approved.....only then can you finalize labeling and only after that can you then think about production.

You need to work with a food technologist...talk to the food standards agency...they might put you in touch with a food college that has lab facilities and the people to help you.

As part of the recipe process you will get into things like 1) citric levels 2) bacteria, acceptable levels for human consumption etc 3) how you fill the bottles, are they serialized...if so how? 4) your supply chain, are the ingredients acceptable and certified.

... its fascinating actually.....but a lot of work. and it will cost you at least £5k before you even fill your first bottle.

Also, your own bottling production line alone might cost up to £50-100k... so outsourcing that is probably better.

I could not believe how difficult it is to get a product to market, I have a lot more respect now for the people on Dragons Den that have got their product to supermarket shelves.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Gavin @ Eooro Member since: Nov 14, 2017
  2. Noah

Noah UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

968 228
    Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  3. Noah

Noah UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

968 228
    Ah yes - the joys of SALSA accreditation - once you have HACCP nailed down, of course.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  4. Gavin @ Eooro

31 4
  5. JoshDrinkingA

JoshDrinkingA UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    I see what you're saying and you obviously know how it's done!

I do know a few people who have done similar things on a much lower budget though. Not quite sure where you've got 5k from.

If we were to outsource and go for a minimum order then things like production process will be fine and recipe as well. 500 minimum order at 0.5 a bottle lets say.

That's 250 quid to have a product which has gone through a safe manufacturing process with an acceptable recipe. I know there's other things to add on top of that but it can be done a lot cheaper than 5k.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: JoshDrinkingA Member since: Jan 9, 2019
  6. Gavin @ Eooro

31 4

if you know of somewhere that has a MOQ of 500 please PM me the details, my wife is looking for somewhere to run a batch this year.

The £5k was a quote from a food technologist... who is campus/college based... cheaper than most apparently because they also get to train students in the whole process as they are doing it....who/what do you use?

7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

11,277 1,188
    Producing the product can be the cheap part of the process.
    How much are you budgeting for marketing?

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,410 651
    A former customer of mine built a (non bottled)drinks brand to a level of success where they sold for good money to a well known brand

In their 10 years they were constantly investigating the viability of bringing production in-house, each time concluding that it was more efficient to outsource

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  9. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    Hi mate, yeah, when I was getting quotes for plastic minimum orders were 75,000. However glass and cans were much much lower.

Once you have your recipe and somewhere to make it though, I don't see where this cost is all coming from? What was the OQ for the 5k and the route your wife was thinking of going down?

10. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    Marketing would definitely be the main expense, agreed.

11. Mr D

11,277 1,188

I suspect the same could be said for most small companies that do not already have production facilities set up.
    When we investigated a potential product a few years back for the food market the cost differences external and internal were massive.
    And the only advantage we could find for in house was to directly control quality rather than someone else controlling quality.

Posted: Jan 11, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,410 651
    Interestingly quality control was one of the key drivers for outsourcing.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  13. Mr D

11,277 1,188
    Sorry, should have emphasised the directly bit.
    Giving up the quality aspect to someone else is harder for a perfectionist.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017