Starting up a new drinks brand - few issues

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by JoshDrinkingA, Jan 9, 2019.

1. JoshDrinkingA

JoshDrinkingA UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Starting up a new drinks brand.

It's starting off as mixed drinks including alcohol.

Few problems which I was hoping to get some help with are:

If it's fizzy what's going to be the cheapest way to get it pressurised (believe that's what it's called).

Do we need to use preservatives?

The plan would be to do it all from home (mix everything at home and bottle it ourselves, and if it takes off then look at alternative methods). Also at the start we'd be using like spirits that are shop bought/wholesale bought, is this okay?

Any other tips? Cheers.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: JoshDrinkingA Member since: Jan 9, 2019
  2. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,763 929
    You've all sorts of licensing issues to overcome before you even start to make a drink.

Any tips? Do a lot more research.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,500 3,291
    1. Continuous carbonation or a bright-tank.

2. Alcohol is a preservative.

3. Almost certainly not, without the necessary licenses and local council approval of your kitchen.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  4. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    A lot more research needs to be carried out. What would we need in terms of licenses?

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: JoshDrinkingA Member since: Jan 9, 2019
  5. BusterBloodvessel

BusterBloodvessel UKBF Regular Free Member

128 46
    What is going to be unique about your products?

Buying spirits off the shelf and bottling them up at home doesn't sound like it's going to be cost effective, or actually have much appeal to anyone to me.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: BusterBloodvessel Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  6. NorfolkGuy

NorfolkGuy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 5
    Having ran a mobile bar business for 15 years and currently a director in a local gin distillery, I mean this in the nicest way but you sound completely out of touch with the realities of this kind of business. Maybe try drinks but without the booze?!

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 By: NorfolkGuy Member since: Sep 12, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. blueprinthub.co.uk

blueprinthub.co.uk UKBF Contributor Free Member

83 11
    I'm pretty good with business strategy (and I mean practical, not the purely theoretical).

I know of a few brands that have started very efficiently by getting a microbrewery to manufacture their product for them and market it under their own business to save them from having to get a license right off the bat.

They still own any IP and recipes, and confidentiality agreements are in place.
    The microbrewery is paid for manufacturing the product and doesn't then get any other form of payment (since there is no need).

This has turned out to be a mutually beneficial arrangement.
    The microbrewery is able to plug some spare capacity while enabling the smaller business to begin very efficiently.

Also prevents using larger manufacturers with massive minimum order quantities.

The microbreweries generally have people on site who can talk to you about what you see the end product bring and how to make it.

Good luck.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: blueprinthub.co.uk Member since: Jun 5, 2018
  8. Leonardo Gonzalez Dellan

Leonardo Gonzalez Dellan UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 2
    Health can be the biggest issue. If you are looking to start a drink business then you should improve the health measures otherwise there is no chance for you to sustain in this competitive marketing.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: Leonardo Gonzalez Dellan Member since: Aug 3, 2018
  9. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    I can appreciate your comments, however, I'm here asking a question about a sector i'm interested in, how you can tell that I'm out of touch with a business which I've barely even started in is beyond me. If you wanted to come into my current business' sector then I'm sure you would have questions too, and at the start be out of touch.

Thanks anyway.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: JoshDrinkingA Member since: Jan 9, 2019
  10. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    Cheers, really helpful response - exactly the sort of thing i've been looking at since posting this thread.

11. Noah

Noah UKBF Ace Free Member

1,122 282
    It's called "carbonated" because the "fizz" is CO2.

I suppose you could make it fizzy with something else, maybe SO2, but that's more of a niche market.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: Noah Member since: Sep 1, 2009
  12. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,169 1,553
    In my local supermarket last week they introduced a few packs of 'low alcohol' gin & tonic bottles.
    Whether that's an emerging trend - or an experiment by the supermarket with a new to them drink.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    Yeah, the one thing i'm not too sure about is how to keep it fizzy if we were manufacturing it ourselves. Which it looks like we won't be but that's what I was unsure about.

14. Noah

1,122 282
    Either you're confused, or I am. You keep it fizzy by keeping the CO2 in solution under pressure, usually by sealing the container; surely you have had the experience of opening bottles and cans of fizzy drinks?

Alternatively you could keep it fizzy in an open container maintained at near-freezing temperature, but that sounds expensive.

15. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    Yess of course, I thought that mixing the drinks ourselves might mean that pressure would be lost and therefore we would need to add more pressure to the bottles/cans. Maybe just otherthinking it.

16. Noah

1,122 282
    Right, I see the problem : Your plan is to take packaged goods and furtle with them to produce something different, and then package that.

This might be acceptable at the early development stage, possibly even prototype, but as a production method it's madness.

17. JoshDrinkingA

10 0
    Totally agree, it would only be for development stages.

18. Noah

1,122 282
    Sodastream

19. blueprinthub.co.uk

blueprinthub.co.uk UKBF Contributor Free Member

83 11
    No problem.
    If you need a hand, let me know.

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: blueprinthub.co.uk Member since: Jun 5, 2018
  20. ltdstartup

ltdstartup UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Good Luck quick story the founder of Glacéau vitamin water was in a gym in New York with his bottle of water and his vitamin bar just had a brain wave why not put the vitamins in the water, 5 years later sold the brand and product to Coca-Cola for 4.1 billion Dollars, one of his initial investors was 50 cent the rapper he actually sings about making a mint from Coca-Cola in one of his songs.
    So my advice go for it simple ideas can sometimes be the winners but I do agree with most of the comments above research is the key before even beginning your idea, most idea's fail before they start at little loss due to the research but too many fail after great financial loss due to no research

Posted: Jan 10, 2019 By: ltdstartup Member since: Jan 10, 2019