Starting two unrelated ecommerce businesses

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by Sade, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sade

Sade UKBF Newcomer

11 0
    Hello everyone,

I am new here but been a lurker for a while. I have learnt a lot already and feel better equipped to jump into the business world - thanks to all the wonderful advice. I have a question though - I have spent some time researching one of the businesses I am due to launch and I have invested some money already. However, I have recently stumbled on another business idea which I believe would be more successful than the first idea. Is it okay to continue developing both? Is it normal for people to run two unrelated ecommerce businesses? Thanks.

Posted: Sep 23, 2011 By: Sade Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  2. VastWeb

VastWeb UKBF Newcomer

2 1
    Hello there, i think this depends on many factors, for example the nature of the businesses, the cost etc... Personally i will stick with the first one based on your researches and the money spent... hope this helps...

Posted: Sep 23, 2011 By: VastWeb Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  3. j600com

j600com Contributor

752 201
    I have clients who run 4 or 5, but this is usually after launching 1 first (e.g not all at once). ECommerce takes time and attention and you don't want to spread yourself too thin. You'd be best doing one, getting your processes spot on and then replicating after you've gone through the teething problems/got your head around selling online.

Posted: Sep 24, 2011 By: j600com Member since: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Paul Norman

Paul Norman Contributor

3,388 1,145
    I do run two, unrelated, retail businesses with a large e-commerce element.

However, I do not run them alone, and there are people in those businesses focussed 100% on them, and I think that is important.

What you are trying to do is possible. The question you must satisfy yourself over is whether business two will dilute the effort going into business one.

I would be inclined to press on with your first idea, and once it has some momentum, add your second, especially as by that time you might be able to hire some staff to assist.

Posted: Sep 24, 2011 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  5. Sade

Sade UKBF Newcomer

11 0
    Thanks for all your responses. I have decided to press on with my initial project and once established, pursue the other one. In the meantime, I 'll use any downtime to research the new idea. Thanks again.

Posted: Sep 24, 2011 By: Sade Member since: Sep 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.