Starting New Business (Hygiene Supplies)

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Mjf, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Mjf

Mjf UKBF Contributor Free Member

71 1
    Looking for some advice, always wanted to go out on my own, so I'm starting a new business supplying hygiene products. Core targets will be schools, nursing homes, hotels etc.
    Any advice good or bad is welcome or contacts much appreciated

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Mjf Member since: Feb 23, 2010
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,144 1,801
    The places you plan to target may already have a contract for the service. May even get dozens of enquiries from your competitors every month.
    So stand out. And not just on price - businesses that always choose the cheaper option are not necessarily the best customers to get. Someone else starts up offering cheaper and you lose your customers en masse.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,356 994
    Buy high, sell low. Or is the other way round?

Seriously though, it's hard to know what to advise without knowing what your relevant experiencing / knowledge is and what your perceived areas of weakness are.

It's better to start with some specific questions & let things grow from there.

My first question to you - what will be your USP?

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  4. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

863 212
    A lot of your core targets will have central purchasing functions, with recommended suppliers. If you can break into that and put up with the petty regulation and admin that goes with the territory you can do well, but you have to put the effort into getting the requisite conditions to become a supplier in place which may not be easy as a new business.

If you are targetting the small independent business sector you are up against the free delivery sell it all merchants - so a bit of a mountain to climb if you choose that route.

A potentially good market is the construction industry - but again, many will have centralised purchasing so canvass the site managers for details of their buyers - and beware of any Building Industry discount schemes - or should that be scams????

A lot of the early work will be form filling and bowing and scraping... but every chance to build a framework to develop a business from provided you understand the mindset of buyers who want everything recorded on paper in their required format, and want it delivered yesterday.... sorry... the day before yesterday, so sort your warehousing and delivery functions well.

Best of luck

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  5. Brilliant_Trading

Brilliant_Trading UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 2
    Hello ,

Although we are supplier and sourcing company in China , however , we can not provide any help to you .

Good luck , because hygiene products is not easy to sell by our experiences .

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Brilliant_Trading Member since: Aug 19, 2019
  6. Worrall

Worrall UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 6
    I think you will find as a start up company that this is a particularly difficult market to break in to. Schools, nursing homes and similar are very careful who they deal with due to regulation and compliance issues and will normally be contracted to someone like Wallace Cameron who will do regular checks and keep everything up to standard for them.

The only way you'll be able to compete is on price and to be honest I don't think your kind of targets will risk their reputation to save a bit of cash.

I'd say stick to the smaller type businesses that you will be able to approach directly and may get some success with, but you'll then be competing with the likes of AOS who can supply all the general office supplies and hygiene products a business needs cheaply with free next day delivery.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Worrall Member since: Aug 21, 2019
  7. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

318 98
    I do a little bit of this as an accidental side line to my shop. My best customers are independent hotels/guest houses, clubs (as in golf and bowling clubs) and cafes.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  8. jamieclick

jamieclick UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

696 77
    My key advice would be to plan out your strategy upfront!

There are loads of tactics out there, Facebook Ad's, Cold Calling etc but they are just that, tactics and should be part of a bigger strategy.

One strategy which I KNOW works, and have seen it work in every type of business you can imagine!

Feel free to give me a shout if you need any more help with this, I've loads of materials and info I can share with you around this :)

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: jamieclick Member since: Oct 9, 2009
  9. Mark T Jones

3,356 994
    How about you share it here - which is the whole point of a forum?

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  10. jamieclick

696 77
    I'd be more than happy to but there's no way to upload files is there and I didn't think I was supposed to share links to my own blog?

11. Mark T Jones

3,356 994
    You don't need to share links (there is a link in your signature) - just give a basic insight to the one way that always works

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  12. jamieclick

696 77
    Haha, I've just read it back and it does sound a bit cryptic, that wasn't supposed to be the case

If you look at another post I've just commented on you'll see I've gone into quite a lot of detail, but that's because I know that industry and am able to help without knowing more details.

The strategy I use in everything is the Customer Value Journey, there's loads of information out there about it, but more than happy to jump on a call with anybody to talk through it also.

13. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,533 2,130
    The magic solution as sold in WH Smiths "1000 ways to become a millionaire" Snake oil rings a bell

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  14. Mr D

16,144 1,801
    Great, feel free to share this strategy you know works.

You can copy and paste from your files. Or you can leave people hanging and forum readers just use other people's strategies.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  15. jamieclick

696 77
    Have put more information above, my mistake on my first reply for sure!

I use a lot of worksheets so can't really copy and paste but there's loads of stuff on the web anyway about the Customer Value Journey...

16. Mr D

16,144 1,801
    Ok thanks. Have never heard of it despite working in many companies across multiple industries.
    Will check it out.

17. jamieclick

696 77
    There are many variations of it and different names but it's been proven to work in any sector.

There is science behind it and it works :)

18. Mr D

16,144 1,801
    Can have magic behind it for all I care. I don't usually look at the theoretical underpinnings of why something works. The horseless carriage, the magic communications device ringing in the hallway, the cow producing milk from grass...
    Simply use the product that works (or in the case of milk, enhances a cup of tea).

19. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,893 979
    Plenty of money to be made.

Don't sell too cheap as people will assume it's watered down crap.

Some people like watered down crap because it's cheaper, so you'll need to offer different strength products.

Ensure that you have COSHH sheets at hand for all your products.

Offer something your competitors don't. For example, could you do same day delivery for orders over £50 if ordered before say 11am?

Money can be made selling to the public at car boots. Have a Facebook page where people can leave reviews and see that you are a proper business. This will help alleviate any concerns the public might have from buying from you at a car boot.

Hifoam and TFR to garages, car washes etc are very profitable.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  20. Mr D

16,144 1,801
    Have seen blue roll go quickly at a car boot. Handy stuff in the home too. :)