Starting a new job as FD - do's and don'ts

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by rlellie14, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlellie14

rlellie14 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    Hi, I'm soon starting as an FD with a family business, t/o around £5m having doubled in recent years. The current FD is retiring after 30 years and I will have around 3 or 4 reporting directly to me. There are around 70 people in the business overall. This is my second job since qualifying as an ACA.

Just a bit of a light hearted question really as I've got my own ideas but has anyone got any do's and don'ts when going into such a role? I've had good experiences from past role and I'm not the type of character who would do a Brian Clough/Leeds Utd but be interested to hear what peoples experiences are. Obviously we all dream of having a fantastic, motivated, happy, helpful, friendly team around us. How best do we get there?!

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 By: rlellie14 Member since: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Clearaccy

Clearaccy UKBF Regular Free Member

100 13
    2011 members first post!

It depends on what kind of person you are. Have you thought about taking a management/leadership course?

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 By: Clearaccy Member since: Apr 11, 2017
  3. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,690 1,263
    If you're in a tea round, actually make a drink every now and again. Everyone hates a boss that expects everyone else to act as their personal tea boy / girl.

Be friendly. Don't try to be friends.

Don't screw colleagues ... sexually or otherwise.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  4. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,335 966
    are you speaking from bitter experience;)

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  5. makeyourbusinessbetter

makeyourbusinessbetter UKBF Regular Free Member

136 32
    How best do we get there? By learning, listening and leading.

Learning

Learn how the business operates from all aspects; its systems and procedures
    Learn about the market it operates in
    Learn about the competitors and the market leader

Don't be tempted to dive in and do something early to make an impression before you have taken the time to learn about the business. We have all seen or read about people who act in haste and regret it.

Listening

Listen to everyone in the business, not just the other directors or the people who report to you. There are 70 sets of eyes and ears in the business, use them well.

Leading

Lead by example, from day one. If people see you are genuine, they will respond accordingly.

Good luck with your new job. I am sure you will do well.

Posted: Oct 23, 2017 By: makeyourbusinessbetter Member since: May 14, 2013
  6. rlellie14

rlellie14 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    great advice - many thanks!

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: rlellie14 Member since: Oct 24, 2011
  7. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,772 1,873
    You will be the new person in the team, and as such you will be the 'outsider'. If you ever watch the TV programme "I'm a Celebrity get me out of here", you will see that they let the teams settle for 2 days and then introduce outsiders, why - because it creates chaos and polarization which make fun TV.

So you need to be aware of this, but you can't bond with the team by becoming their mates as you will need to be a leader, but one of the best ways is for the team to have a crisis or a challenge that they can help you with and actively see you working with them as a leader to solve.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.