Starting a business on a university campus

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by brightenterprise, Feb 18, 2021.

1. brightenterprise

brightenterprise UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi there,

I'm interested in exploring the possibility of opening a food outlet on a university campus.

I've searched online and had a look at Zoopla, Rightmove etc but can't find any such premises available for sale or rent.
    So are on-campus premises notoriously difficult to come by? Or am I just not looking at the right places?

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: brightenterprise Member since: Jan 30, 2015
  2. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,766 725
    Contact the university directly. They will have a commercial department that deals with this.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  3. brightenterprise

7 0
    Thank you, I'm looking nationwide for an opportunity at a university though and don't want to message every university's commercial department of possible.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: brightenterprise Member since: Jan 30, 2015
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,285 3,347
    Then message university commercial department in places you do want to set up in.

Perhaps start with your top 10. If no suitable premises there then try your next 10.

Or start by region - looking at all places in a particular area of the country.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,127 807
    Doesn’t sound like you would be prepared for the hard work of a food outlet if you cannot be bothered to send a few emails., I would quit now and save your time and money.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  6. brightenterprise

7 0
    You're wrong
    I would recommend stopping trying to read to much into someone's situation from a message board post

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 By: brightenterprise Member since: Jan 30, 2015
  7. Interestedobserver

Interestedobserver UKBF Ace Free Member

1,564 205
    Do you just want to do this at one university or multiple at the same time?

There will be many food outlets already set up on campus. Normally great value as well so lower profit margin than in other locations as students always want a great deal !

I'm near Loughborough University - they also have catering vans set up permanently on the campus.

Lots of food options already there.

Getting kitchens right now is hard. Many people are renting kitchens short term from pubs and restaurants whilst they are closed as it's what they consider an easy way to make extra money when they lose their own job or are on furlough

Assuming the pubs and restaurants aren't doing their own takeaway. It's not viable for a lot of them

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 By: Interestedobserver Member since: Apr 15, 2020
  8. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,852 291
    I would recommend stopping, rewinding and giving enough information so that people reading the "message board" don't have to make assumptions.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  9. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,498 914
    Can you give an example of a business similar to what you have in mind?

When I worked at my local student union all the on campus services such as the bars, cafe, fast food outlets etc. were all outsourced to one company.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  10. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,390 2,198
    As others have said, condtact universities directly.

it's unlikely they will each have the same operational set-up. Some will sell concessions, some will perate in-house facilities while others might put the whole thing out to someone like Compass.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  11. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

12,086 2,521
    Why no just start with one uni near you and find out all about i and if your plan is profitable before you contact lots of uni's

You will probably find the cost to operate on their grounds is considerable and must offer the students a positive experience

You will also be competing against McDonalds, every Pizza place, just eat etc who all do a delivery to the door service and low prices

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 3:04 PM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003