Start Up a Car Repair Garage

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by VHD, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VHD

VHD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, but i hope you will be able to help me.
    I want to open Car Repair Garage. Does anyone know what kind of a company, licences permission I require to start up this business.
    I have all devices required, but I need information about the steps I have to go through to be able to start operating.
    Thanks everyone for your help

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 By: VHD Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  2. 14A

14A UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

967 133
    Can I ask your where abouts? This factors your answers because different countys have different regs.

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 By: 14A Member since: Apr 1, 2008
  3. Rainbow Chasers'

Rainbow Chasers' UKBF Newcomer Free Member

443 90
    Firstly, you need premises WITH motor trade planning permission - fairly rare as everyone is scared of car parts being piled up outside. Then you register with the council to let them know who you are etc - then they send the rates man round who will remove the shirt from your back! lol! (there are discounts etc -don't worry! - But do not feint if the rateable value is more than/similar price to the rent!)

Once it is fitted out, (to industry standards) you will need public liabily cover, buildings cover, motor trade insurance, employers liabilty if employing someone. Just cover your butt big time - especially if you are employing someone, full or part-time - that means all the health and safety training like manual handling courses etc.

Then you are into marketing - sign write the outside, and find some customers!!

The more proffessional you make yopurself now - will reflect on your future!! So if you decide back street garage to cut costs, your customers will always see you as that - decent premises, decent job and you will attract that type of customer!

LEARN TO SAY NO!! Don't get into the trap of running yourself ragged and end up transplanting engines in jolapies - save that for the back street guy - just keep with the good stuff - once word gets around that you do that type of work, its' allyou will get!! Seen many a good mechanioc fall foul of that rut!

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 By: Rainbow Chasers' Member since: Nov 20, 2008
  4. VHD

VHD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    London - West or North West London

Posted: Apr 21, 2010 By: VHD Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  5. yalla

yalla UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I would also like to start a car service garage.Would it be a good idea get a franchise like VW.I mentioned VW because its becoming very popular in my country.How do i go about this.I intend to start small and grow with time.Whats the difference between being an accredited dealer and a franchise.What kind of costs should i be looking at.

Posted: Feb 6, 2014 By: yalla Member since: Feb 6, 2014
  6. alasdair1982

alasdair1982 UKBF Regular Free Member

168 42
    Hi

Unless you have about 1/2 million in liquid funds. Forget main dealer.

As a garage owner i can advise with knowledge. If your going to start a workshop, unfortunately you cannot do this cheaply. You will need to invest to get the correct equipment and diagnostic equipment. I see so many vehicles that have already been to one garage that could nt fix it yet still charged for having a look..

An independant workshop that offers fanatastic service who are completely open and honest and presentable will always be busy.

I hate main dealers, they are money grabbing con artists in my opinion. I have a Merc C class which went into local merc garage, It developed uneven brake disc wear at 6 months old so i took it in for them to investigate. I got a phone call from them telling me that the front tyres were worn to 4mm and rears 2mm so they were changing all 4. I mean since when does tyre wear effect brake disc wear.!!! Bloody idiots.

I told them to stop as i was about a minute away and i went in. (I replaced the front tyres 2 weeks prior to this.)

I took my depth guage with me and measured the tyres. fronts were 8mm and rears 5 mm. They are con artists. I took great pleasure in telling the service manager what i thought of them

Go independant and offer fanatastic service and most importantly do not make jobs up or do things you dont need to do just to earn a few extra quid today as you'll lose out tommorrow

Posted: Feb 6, 2014 By: alasdair1982 Member since: Aug 7, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,909 1,245
    That's what we like to see real people actually running the business who actually give accurate advice
    well done alasdair

Posted: Feb 7, 2014 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  8. georgereid227

georgereid227 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 1
    Good evening,

I can only offer you a little help with your question here. However, my business supplies engine diagnostic software for small independent garages.

We are currently developing new software that should be finished and tested in March. I will happily send you across a free activation key if you want to start using it?

Regards

George Reid

Autosafe Diagnostics

Posted: Feb 10, 2014 By: georgereid227 Member since: Feb 10, 2014
  9. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72

Excellent advice.

So many business owners cannot say No.

They then take on work which is not profitable - end up compromising on the job or other customers jobs and then end up getting a bad name.

If you don't like the sound of a job - say No.

Avoid cheapskate / coupon clipper type customers - they have zero loyalty and will try to bleed you dry. Oh, and if they do recommend you to their friends - they will be cheapskates as well.

A good website showing all your premises and diagnostic equipment is going to be very important. Get a professional photographer to do this. It will be worth every penny.

Posted: Feb 10, 2014 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.