Start New Job Monday, don't have a p45, lied on CV

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by yozo1, Jun 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yozo1

yozo1 UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    I thought this would be the best forum to ask this question. I would appreciate any advice you can give. I start a job in a call centre on Monday. It is my first job. Ever. It had been hard finding a job with my lack of experience. Enough was enough. I decided to put on my CV I had worked at my cousins business for a year. The role was my brothers role. The company is now closed down. But my cousing says he has no problem in giving me a reference. So I learned the role for interview reasons and I had a guaranteed reference.

I got an interview for this job and I passed the intetview. I got the the welcome letter a few days back and it says one of the things I must bring with me on the first day is my p45. I do not have one of course. I found out online that I can fill out a p46 instead. I was relieved. But now I have just found out on the gov uk website - "HMRC stopped using form P46 in April 2013."

It also says here that if I do not have a p45: "They may use a ‘Starter Checklist’ to collect the information, or may collect it another way. The Starter Checklist has questions about any other jobs, benefits or student loans you have."

I have been on JSA for over two years. But according to my CV I have been on JSA just over a year. Now I am worried that they might ask me certain questions I may not be able to answer them and may get caught out. I am worried if:
    1) I tell the truth about how long I have been on JSA then they cross-reference this with my CV and find out I lied on my CV.
    2) If I say I have been n JSA for just over a year (according to my CV) then they might cross-reference this with HMRC and find out I am lying and then wonder why I am lying.

I don't know what to do. What info do they get about me from HMRC? Which should I go for, option 1 or option 2 above? I can still print out that P46 form which is available online. Can I just take this with me even though HMRC do not use it anymore? Also, please don't judge me about lying on my CV. It was either that or be stuck on the dole scrounging of taxpayers money. By the way, the company I am working for is a large outsourcing company, and not really a small company, in case this makes a difference to your answer.

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 By: yozo1 Member since: Jun 16, 2013
  2. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Legend

4,037 486
    Posted: Jun 16, 2013 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  3. InPrintImaging

InPrintImaging UKBF Enthusiast

379 80
    Not that you should ever lie on a cv as it is unethical

however, you would only need a P45 if you had been employed during the current tax year (ie since 5 April 2013). The job center should theoretically send you one to account for JSA anyway.

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 By: InPrintImaging Member since: Nov 15, 2010
  4. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend

29,730 6,639
    If you have never had a job after two years,anything that helps get a job may be seen as positive.IMHO

Ethics and business make strange bedfellows in my experience.:)

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  5. InPrintImaging

379 80
    No, but you had better hope the OP is naturally gifted at cold calling, otherwise they will get found out pretty quick and won't be in the job for long. It is a very target driven industry, and those doing the work are expected to deliver.

6. StevensOnln1

StevensOnln1 UKBF Legend

3,468 752
    All HMRC will tell your new employer is what tax code to use. They will not give employers any other information about you and it's not possible for employers to cross check details of JSA or other jobs with HMRC.

Employers no longer send P45s or P46s into HMRC, but they still need the information on the form to set you up on their payroll.

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 By: StevensOnln1 Member since: Dec 10, 2011
  7. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend

29,730 6,639
    So what is there to lose,without a job there is no chance of anything.

What does a target driven industry mean.:|:)

Posted: Jun 16, 2013 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  8. InPrintImaging

379 80
    Means that out of say X number of phone calls, you would be expected to convert Y percentage of them into sales. If you don't know how to cold call, that would be difficult. To me this is a far more worrying aspect for the OP than the lack of a P45 actually. If the OP has said they are already experienced, they are unlikely to receive on the job training to achieve this.

If they do not make Y % of conversions, they may risk loosing the job.

Makes me remember a friend of mine at college who worked in telesales (years back now). He was constantly going on about the manager pressure to deliver, and that company trained him from scratch.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Legend

3,541 1,217
    Although, as an employer, I would rather hear the truth. Always. And 100%. And as an employer, I assure you that even now, I would rather you fessed up.

I do understand how hard it is to get a job. And I do understand that many employers behave in a way that makes it hard for people out of work to get work.

I cannot, however, help that. For me, I need honesty from my staff, because I am trusting them in my business.

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  10. businessfunding

businessfunding Guest

0 0
    Nothing new about lying on CVs - standard curve is make up jobs and qualifications on the way up then deny your education and any kind of formal training (or help) once you feel you have made it.

In this case, my guess is they really won't be bothered - unless it is a technical call centre - you will be judged on attitude and results.

Dig in and do it...

Posted: Jun 20, 2013 By: businessfunding Member since: Jan 1, 1970
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.