Employment & HR Brought to you by Jaluch (DocsWizard)

Staff Not Wearing Uniforms

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by locutus, Jul 13, 2018.

1. locutus

locutus UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 1
    I recently purchased some company branded polo shirts for the staff to wear, but the staff are complaining that they are too hot wearing them. I personally don't think the polo shirts are too hot, but I would say they are not the most breathable fabric I've come across. Staff are also allowed to wear shorts if they want. But some staff are wearing trousers, thick cotton tops, or thin cardigans to work!

What's the best way to deal with this?
    I've had many jobs where I've had to wear a shirt, trousers, and waistcoat during the summer, with no AC. I would have loved to have been able to wear t-shirt and shorts to work! I get that uniforms are not always the most comfortable piece of clothing, but they give us that much more professional look.

Posted: Jul 13, 2018 By: locutus Member since: Jun 12, 2015
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

9,114 2,318
    You explain the policy, you point out that it is a requirement and that anyne attending work dressed inapproproately, ie not in accordance with your clearly defined dress code will not be permitted to work and will, therefore not be paid until they attend work properly dressed

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

544 138
    Is it not cheaper to order some lighter blend material for the summer months? I mean you're the boss if you wish to enforce uniform then that's certainly your right. But in terms of time/aggravation/loss of productivity/employee relations etc and that custom polos are not exactly expensive why not simply say "thanks for the feedback, here are some cooler ones and you MUST wear these"

Meeting them half way surely is a more positive outcome for your business?

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,699 792
    Perhaps work with staff to design uniforms.

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Newchodge

9,114 2,318
    But the OP has already got the uniforms.

I agree, working with staff initially mahy be a good idea, although 10 staff members may have 12 different ideas, but doing anything other than enforcde the uniform at this stage is sending out entirely wrong signals to the employees = If the boss asks me to do something I can just moan, not do it and get away with it.

6. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,976 2,713
    I normally agree with everything Cyndy says, but this time, she is talking through her hat.

1. Get an AC.

2. As long as those members of staff that have to deal with customers can be clearly identified as such (e.g. badges) and are dressed reasonably, who cares what they wear!

3. Staff cost money - big money! Air conditioning and polo shirts cost pennies in comparison. You might like to think about that difference for a while!

4. You are their employer and team leader. You are not the dictator of all things. Let them get on with their work and in a way they feel the most comfortable.

5. If uniforms really are needed (though I for one, cannot think why!) the idea of holding a staff meeting and reaching a consensus of opinion on what is acceptable and smart is a very good idea. Hold the meeting during the working day - i.e. on your dime and not on their dime!

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. Mr D

7,699 792
    But the uniforms are such the staff are complaining they are too hot. Is staff comfort an issue affecting work? Does it affect staff retention? We don't know.
    Too hot uniform is not great to work in.

8. Newchodge

9,114 2,318
    But the OP has also stated that they are not too hot. Staff who don't want to do something will come up with all sorts of reasons why they should not. If the point is valid, fair enough, but often it is just whinging.

9. Newchodge

9,114 2,318
    I don't have a hat, it is too hot.

10. Mr D

7,699 792
    "but the staff are complaining that they are too hot wearing them"

Its not the OP complaining about the uniforms being too hot. You and I only have the information provided to go on.

11. Mr D

7,699 792
    Are you complaining of it being too hot to wear a hat or complaining because you don't want to wear a hat? :)

12. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,107 283
    The staff just don't want to wear them, seems pretty simple.

Its up to you to decide how much fuss/trouble you want to create for them and you, and if the end result is worth the trouble, i thought about it a while ago, but decided that it wasn't really needed and we could do without the trouble it would have created.

Staff at times can be really moany fuc**rs, especially good staff !!

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  13. billmccallum1957

billmccallum1957 UKBF Ace Full Member

1,810 390
    The big issue is "recently purchased", which implies that uniforms were not In use previously.

If uniforms were not required or mentioned in employee contracts, it may be difficult to enforce now.

Posted: Jul 14, 2018 By: billmccallum1957 Member since: Feb 11, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Contributor Free Member

37 6
    I've had to wear a company bought polo shirt before and if that was anything to go by it certainly would have been too hot to wear...have a polo shirt that you have to wear that makes you hot and sweaty isn't exactly inductive to people wanting to work.

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 12:07 AM By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  15. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,480 386
    There is more to this than just being too hot as Billccallum has intimated. If the staff have not worn a uniform before they might find it demeaning to wear them now, especially if some of the staff have been wearing a shirt and tie or designer clothes previously

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 12:22 AM By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  16. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,405 812
    Uniform introduction is always difficult, and I too agree the likely real reason is they hate them. Not everyone looks good in a polo shirt. I wear them all the time as our area of work has them as a standard - everyone wears black polo shirts. Not a requirement, and a few people wear black button up shirts or T-shirts but always black.

In our band we all wear co-ordinated ridiculous Hawaiian shirts, and had some black polo shirts made with CREW on the back. Our sound man hates them and has never ever worn one because he doesn't wear 'labels'. I could have told the band leader that before he ordered them!

If the staff want a common uniform, let them design and choose them - but size 8 and above size 18 will look silly, as will those who's body shapes (like mine) stretch in one area and sag in another!

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 7:21 AM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  17. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,107 283
    I am suprised by everyone's apathy (including mine) to enforcing uniform's.

There would have been a time when it would have been my way or the highway, and if you don't like it you can leave type of attitude, now i'm older, mellower and have a lower staff turnover rate.

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 2:15 PM By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  18. locutus

locutus UKBF Contributor Free Member

64 1
    A few months ago, I bought the business, and soon after I introduced 'uniforms' for the staff. Today, one of the staff members was wearing what appeared to be a woolen long sleeve jumper! There are 3 staff in total, plus myself. I always wear my polo shirt even if I'm not in shift.

As for AC, I agree, and I'm working to get it working. Gives them less excuse to complain!

I don't think staff will want to wear name tags, and I don't like name tags. Tacky, impersonal, imo. :)

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM By: locutus Member since: Jun 12, 2015
  19. Mr D

7,699 792
    One of the places I worked several years ago had great AC. If you were in the middle of the room you were under it and it was cold. If you were on one edge of the office you were in direct sunlight and roasted.
    On average the staff were perfectly fine, around 200 staff in the room and over 20 complaints about the AC being on.
    Not all AC is suitable for all workplaces. Make sure it gives reasonable temperature.

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 8:39 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,230 1,047
    I do think you need to let go a bit in this hot weather and not expect staff to wear hot uniforms
    I normally try to dress smart ! but I have been drifting around looking like a confused surfer this month

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 7:37 AM By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008