SSD vs Traditional Drives? Opinions needed

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Parrot Hosting, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrot Hosting

Parrot Hosting UKBF Enthusiast

441 87
    I'm trying to decide which types of drives to buy. I can buy 32Gb SD Cards for approx £30, I can buy traditional 2.5" drives for peanuts, or I can buy SSD drives (typically 128Gb for £120).

My situation is that I am traveling and need easy to manage stuff, I need to go through security Xray machines and on airplanes and also live in temporary apartments whilst on the move.

Which is the best way of keeping my data available and directly accessible to the laptop? I don't want to carry a load of CD/DVD's either.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    Posted: Aug 14, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Posilan

Posilan Verified Business ✔️

2,541 878
    I'd use a combination of traditional USB HDD's (WD passports are good) for high capacity and USB memory sticks for portability.

Steve

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. wilwong1971

wilwong1971 UKBF Legend

1,676 818
    Hi

I'm fairly sure that Xray machines doesn't generate a strong enough field to damage mechanical drives, you'll have more of a risk if they waved one of those metal detectors near your laptop.

Using an SSD drive would not be effected by magnetic fields and also give you the benefit of faster boot ups, quieter laptop and added battery life.

If your laptop has a built in SD card reader then a SD card would do the job as well. Or a flash drive for easy portability between machines.

Hope this helps.

Wil

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 By: wilwong1971 Member since: Jul 13, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Posilan

2,541 878
    Doh - just reread the OP - didn't realise you meant internal drives :)

SSD would definitely be nicer (and faster) if you can afford it.

Airport xray machines will not affect them at all.

Steve

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    I must admit leaning towards an internal 128Gb SSD drive for the laptop along with a couple of 32Gb SD cards to keep backup's of most of my existing work. I'm not going to put the laptops through the X-Ray but, I lost a digital camera LCD screen through forgetting it was in a bag and it burned it out in two places and as I just put a new 17.1" screen in the laptop I'm not keen to fry it.

I'm concerned about two things with SSD.. Is it still a problem with the long time to 'write' data to disk? and is the re-write limit really an issue or is that just anti-hype?

6. Dominic Taylor

Dominic Taylor Full Member

1,169 254
    Mainly just anti-hype, tons of SSDs here (laptops, servers) and they run beautifully - laptops particularly seem to love them and for travelling they're fantastic as you don't have to wait for the drive to spin up and listen to the annoying noise :)

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 By: Dominic Taylor Member since: Jun 19, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. wilwong1971

wilwong1971 UKBF Legend

1,676 818
    The amount of writes that are carried out before the limit is reached is 40 years: http://elitepcbuilding.com/ssd-vs-hdd

The benefits of SSDs far outweighs the possibilities of it reaching that limit.

We supply SSDs to our products for over 4 years now. Only one ever came back faulty. So reliability is solid.

Wil

Ps I just took that link as a Reference. I do not work for the above company sorry...

Posted: Aug 14, 2011 By: wilwong1971 Member since: Jul 13, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    Actually that article is the most up to date one I have read and is surprisingly informative in a non-tech way. Excellent find and I am convinced and will be organising the purchase of one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Skateboard Express UK

Skateboard Express UK UKBF Newcomer

28 3
    i always use SSDs in my laptops now. faster, cooler and lower power consumption. love em..

Posted: Aug 15, 2011 By: Skateboard Express UK Member since: Feb 19, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Jameschillman

Jameschillman UKBF Contributor

173 21
    SSD all the way, my mac's all have internal SSD's and the difference is amazing!

Were also now using Internal SSD's in all our new servers for OS partitions etc due to the performance increase.

Posted: Aug 15, 2011 By: Jameschillman Member since: Feb 25, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. AdamH_LWG

AdamH_LWG UKBF Contributor

141 14
    if you have some cash to invest the go with SSD, all our laptops and desktops use SSD, for the laptops it give better battery lift, better performance and less failures from small drops and bumps.

With the desktops we use the SSD for OS and all programs such as Adobe suite and support programs and data bases. It saves huge amounts of time and improves overall feel of the PC or Mac.

In a desktop the best combination is a SSD SATA6GB/s and two 1TB HDD in RAID0, add an internal daily backup and a remote backup overnight and its the perfect workstation.

Posted: Aug 15, 2011 By: AdamH_LWG Member since: Aug 2, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    I just finished cloning my new SSD drive and it now boots approximately 50% quicker than my old SATA drive.

That in itself is a godsend...

Thanks everyone your input was a really helpful decider.

Posted: Aug 16, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  13. AndyBrazier

AndyBrazier UKBF Newcomer

28 0
    I have a Dell Latitude D430 that is just over three years old. It still works fine, but I would like it to run quicker. Would it be worth replacing the HDD with and SDD.

It has an Intel Core 2 Duo U7600 processor. 2GB of memory and a 60 GB HDD. Running with XP Pro

I really like the laptop and replacing with a newer, similar machine is not cheap.

What do you think?

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: AndyBrazier Member since: Nov 12, 2005
  14. Posilan

2,541 878
    It would certainly help - especially boot times, although adding another 2GB of ram would probably be more noticeable under general use (if 32bit windows would take it to 3.6GB"ish", 64 bit would read the full 4GB).

Steve

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: Posilan Member since: Dec 20, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. wilwong1971

wilwong1971 UKBF Legend

1,676 818
    You can get a decent 96GB for under £100. It is a worthwhile upgrade, plus it is likely you could possibly make use of the SSD drive when you get a newer machine later (presuming SATA technology doesnt change drastically.)

Take the opportunity if you get a brand new drive to load a fresh copy of windows (I know you can clone your drive but why transfer all the clutter to the SSD) You'll definitely see the difference in speed.

Wil

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 By: wilwong1971 Member since: Jul 13, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.