Spam emails

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Rhyl Lightworks, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    I don't know if others have found the same but I have noticed a large increase in these over the last few months. I have taken to replying to such emails with a message such as this:

'For all your (lighting) solutions please visit:
    ( www.thelightworks.net )

You have received this email because we have received at least one unsolicited email from you'

( ) insert something relevant to your business.

Initial prognosis is good. If everybody replied to such emails in this way we could reduce the no. of spam emails considerably.

Barrie

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  2. AdaptableTelecoms

AdaptableTelecoms UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    I like that Barrie!

Be interesting to see if you get any business from it.

Seem to be getting a lot of "We can help with SEO" type emails lately. The funny thing is, most of these guys have sites that don't even rank highly themselves in Google...

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 By: AdaptableTelecoms Member since: Jun 16, 2014
  3. Nuno

Nuno UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,783 1,607
    Ingenious way to get your URL seen here...:)

I thought a lot of spam was automated and by replying/opening you confirm a live email address, inviting more spam.

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 By: Nuno Member since: Oct 10, 2011
  4. EstherG

EstherG UKBF Newcomer Full Member

100 16
    I thought the same thing - is this an urban myth?

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: EstherG Member since: Feb 13, 2013
  5. toastking

toastking Guest

0 0
    Its not an urban myth, you are just making the problem worse.

You should buy Inty Mail Defender its a product we sell at work and despite having stronger partners, continue to sell as its a) so cheap and b) works wonders.

Does a cracking job at blocking spam and it does it in the cloud so it doesn't even hit your server (assuming your email is hosted on premise).

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: toastking Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. andygambles

andygambles UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,628 688
    There is growing spam from legitimate businesses. These will use live emails. Spam from pharmaceutical enhancement companies will most likely forge the sender so you may end up bombarding someone innocent.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: andygambles Member since: Jun 17, 2009
  7. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,404 649
    Almost all of the spam I get is from companies from whom I've bought stuff from or dealt with before. Very little from unknown sources. Do you not find that?

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  8. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,858 2,621
    In which case it's not Spam. Such emails should include an unsubscribe link, if you don't want to receive.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  9. japancool

3,404 649
    Still spam as far as I'm concerned, as they've probably auto-ticked something I haven't noticed when I bought from them. Fortunately, that's now illegal. Half the time, the unsubscribe link requires you to log in to an account that I can't remember the password for anyway.

10. andygambles

andygambles UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,628 688
    If I click unsubscribe and I do not get immediately unsubscribed then it gets reported as spam. If I get emails from those I have exchanged business cards with no problems as long as it tells me that is how they got my details and provide an unsubscribe link in case I am not interested. I do the same. I actually want those not interested to unsubscribe. No point bothering people with information they do not want.

If I purchase from a website I expect to receive further emails. No problem there as long as I can unsubscribe if I am not interested. Same applies to our site. We offer one click instant unsubscribe.

What I despise are emails sent to our Whois email address (only used there) or scrapped from the website so support email addresses. Clearly these are unsolicited, unwanted and non-targeted.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: andygambles Member since: Jun 17, 2009
  11. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,958 981
    Most times I need to provide email addresses now, I use one of my email addresses that have a catchall - and insert the name of the company I'm providing the email address to into the email, such as [email protected] It's quite interesting to then start to see which quite respectable companies flog your email details. I never reply to spam, just in case the myth is true and it makes it worse.

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  12. japancool

3,404 649
    I got an email purporting to be from HMRC giving a business presentation for newly VAT registered business (which I am not). Examining the raw email source didn't reveal anything particularly untoward. It was sent via "govdelivery.com", and the embedded addresses matched the displayed addresses, but I wasn't aware that HMRC did anything like that, which was the most suspicious thing.

Needless to say, it went into the junk folder.

[Edit] Well, I've just found this:
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/startingup/help-support.htm

I don't remember ever signing up for it though.

13. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

255 47
    We wouldn't suggest replying to those emails as it validates they are real, and as has been said, you might be bombarding some innocent who has had their email address spoofed.

Same goes for spam texts that ask you to reply to opt out - all you're doing is confirming the number is live.

I'd suggest getting a decent anti-spam filter in place, either buying it upfront or using a monthly hosted service (our recommended option). That way you can actually start to address the spam problem.

We can do anti-spam for £1.78 per mailbox per month if it helps? Anti-virus and anti-spam scanning, daily spam reports, and an Outlook add-in for whitelisting and blacklisting emails.

Cheers,

Ryan

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
  14. MatthewRJones

MatthewRJones UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

64 18
    I am getting a lot of spam at the moment from banks and software companies trying to get my details!

Posted: Jun 23, 2014 By: MatthewRJones Member since: Jun 21, 2014
  15. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    I had no intention of promoting my business. Of course I put the email address in the spam email folder first, and then send the email. It has reduced the spam emails I receive by at least 50% and it gives the email originator some added hassle.
    Barrie

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  16. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

12,763 2,365
    Me too a lot of which come from companies in India

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.