Sourcing New Products

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Gilchrist72, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Gilchrist72

Gilchrist72 UKBF Contributor Free Member

50 3
    After a lot of searching i have found a product that I want to buy from China but have noticed that a well known company is selling exactly the same product. The only difference will be our branding.

Is there anything i should be concerned about before i place an order?

I am trying to think of a way to slightly alter the product so that its not exactly identical.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,599 1,110
    Your brand will be different so not necessarily a need to alter the product.
    What you should take care with is who owns the rights to the product. Some stuff you can end up buying but not have permission to sell.

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Lawson@CBF

[email protected] UKBF Contributor Free Member

93 7
    Marketing your product correctly should give you market share even if it already exists. Surely if the competition is selling it, then they are proving that there is a market?

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: [email protected] Member since: Jun 30, 2008
  4. Gilchrist72

50 3
    Thank you for your reply. So how do i find out who owns the right to these products i want to buy?

Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  5. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

331 71
    I would suggest you alter the products slightly to make your core competitively. For example, after modification, your cost is significantly cheaper but function / performance is about the same, then, you will be able to sell it in cheaper price.

If you sell identical products but cannot sell in significantly cheaper price, your business will be difficult, as customers surely will tend to purchase a know brand than an unknown brand.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  6. Gilchrist72

50 3
    I asked the supplier who owns the rights to the product and they said the company selling the same product with their logo on it has the OMM rights. Does this mean the rights to the product itself or the trade mark of their brand,logo?

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  7. Gilchrist72

50 3
    It wouldn't be worth me buying a sample if i cant sell it although i have plans to try and modify it if i need to.

8. Mr D

10,599 1,110
    OMM rights? No clue about them and google doesn't give anything useful.
    Ask the supplier.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  9. Gilchrist72

50 3
    I tried to look it up too. I asked the supplier and she meant OMN

10. Mr D

10,599 1,110
    Still doesn't mean anything to me. Maybe know it by another name.

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Gilchrist72

50 3
    Hi, I have asked the owner of the manufacturing company about this product and if anyone owns the rights to it. He told me that this was designed and developed jointly by them and the buyer.
    He added the products have the rights to use and i can buy and sell with confidence.

I cant see this particular product being sold by any other company. I'm concerned that if i buy and sell these with my brand on the they wont be too pleased about it. This company clearly markets the product as their own so I'm surprised that they don't have anything in place with the manufacturer to stop them selling to other companies.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  12. Mr D

10,599 1,110
    They may have something in place to stop them selling to other companies. Just takes time and money to enforce and maybe the company isn't worried.
    I can buy Apple, yankee candle, nike stuff from Chinese factories - brands that will protect their rights. Factories don't appear to care, likely fakes even but some may be kosher, just not paid for in right to sell.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Gilchrist72

50 3
    How can i find out if they do? Perhaps its better to slightly modify the products then so they are not identical.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  14. Frankngai

Frankngai UKBF Regular Free Member

109 9
    To be safe, it's better to modify the product and apply for the patent at your side if you're planning to sell it in long time. Of course, you can also find a substitute product to buy.

Posted: Mar 26, 2018 By: Frankngai Member since: Mar 9, 2012
  15. Ecowritingtablet

Ecowritingtablet UKBF Contributor Free Member

40 2
    always wright down all details of your order like specification, package etc to suppliers, so they can follow them. or they will likely cut the corner.

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 By: Ecowritingtablet Member since: Mar 14, 2018
  16. Gilchrist72

50 3
    I have received samples and I’m very happy with them and want to go ahead with an order. I just need to know first that I do have the right to sell it and that the other company that sell them don’t have any design rights.
    How can I find this out? Don’t want to get this wrong.
    I will have my own logo on it and will probably have to make small changes just to be sure.

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  17. Gilchrist72

50 3
    So, the product is already produced by the manufacturer and let’s say for example its a cat harness, I can put my logo on it, slightly modify it and then apply for the patent?
    I thought that a patent is the actual design of the product in which case surely the manufacturer owns the rights. I’m getting confused

Posted: Mar 28, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  18. dave archer

dave archer UKBF Regular Free Member

790 165
    The OTHER company, who you buy from, will not have design rights.
    They will only have a selling rights agreement, from the original company who makes them.
    You don't.

The company who you buy the widgets from, may also have sole selling rights.
    Which would explain why no one else sells them.

The original company, who make them, will have the design rights, and may also have a patent
    on the widget.
    Maybe.

You need to contact the actual manufacturers and ask for a selling agreement.
    In writing.
    Until then, you don't have the right to sell them as your own product.

If the widget already has a patent on it, you will not obtain a patent.
    Although I don't understand why you would even apply for a patent.
    A Patent for what ?

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 By: dave archer Member since: Mar 8, 2014
  19. Gilchrist72

50 3
    Thank you for your reply.

I have now asked the manufacturer for a selling agreement which he is happy to provide and sign.

I guess the fact that I’m going to slightly modify the item should mean I will be ok to go ahead with the order.

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 By: Gilchrist72 Member since: Nov 23, 2016
  20. dave archer

dave archer UKBF Regular Free Member

790 165
    You will also need to inform the manufacturer that you intend to modify their
    original design and then pass the item off for sale as your own product.

I am sure that will go down well, like a lead brick.

Posted: Mar 29, 2018 By: dave archer Member since: Mar 8, 2014