Solution supporting multiple vendors

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by JaneFrances, Feb 8, 2018.

1. JaneFrances

JaneFrances UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I'm looking to allow vendors to upload their own images, products and pricing. Are there any e-commerce solutions which support this? I want to be able to review and approve what the vendors post, and to be able to apply discounts to the prices the vendors have uploaded.
    Many thanks

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: JaneFrances Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  2. Paul Carmen

Paul Carmen UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

More detail would be needed before any sort of sensible answer could be given: -
    • Why would vendors do this, have you got an existing site with large traffic & marketing reach?
    • How would it work, would they have to sign up, would you vet the company & listing first?
    • Do they sell on your site, or is it just a link to another website?
    • Why would they let you amend their pricing, they might make a loss then?
    • How does payment protection work; eBay & Amazon all have fraud & buyer protection in place?
    • How would comms work, you'd email them & deal with any customer service calls?
    • What about fulfilment, would you drop ship the products or just notify the vendor & they ship it?
    We looked at a business like this for a client a couple of years back & it was very complicated, it would certainly be a bespoke website build with several system integrations, whatever ecommerce platform you use.

You'd also be going up against Amazon, eBay, Gumtree etc with their tremendous reach. To get enough traffic & leads to make this work your marketing budget would need to be huge.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  3. JaneFrances

Thanks Paul for your response. I hope I have answered your questions to make it all clearer: Vendors why -
    How would it work - vendors would have to sign up and we would vet and approve them. By listing ideally yes
    POS - on our site
    Amend prices - say a 5% off were we take the hit or they do
    Comms - we would do that work in house
    Fraud and buyer protection - I looked at Realex etc for that but would look at that separately
    Shipping - dropship.

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: JaneFrances Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  4. Paul Carmen

It would be quite a complex setup, Magento would probably be best, as a platform it supports multiple shipping, payment options out of the box. You'd be looking at quite a bespoke build though, as you need a backend process for vendors as well as the front end B2C normal setup, you also potentially require multiple shipping & other integrations.

The reason I asked the initial why question, that you didn't answer, is that the platform build may well cost you tens to hundreds of thousands to have the functionality required and be safe secure for vendors/customers.

It then needs to have loads of traffic for customers to attract your vendors, how wold you do that & what USP would make vendors come to you rather than list on Amazon/eBay?

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  5. JaneFrances

Thanks again Paul. I certainly don't have that 10,000-100,000 for this so I will need to figure something out. The USP is that my marketplace will offer one product type only. Security will be of the essence so will investigate... many thanks again.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: JaneFrances Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  6. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

Are you aiming to high

You seem to have big dreams but maybe do not need all you are thinking of on day one

For example - you might not need an a back end for sellers at all at first

What you probably need is to get it going and see if it has legs as cheaply as possible

So that can mean they send you an excel file - annd then you upload the products yourself
    You can do this quick and dirty style - simple and flexible
    Not acceptable as an interface for users - buut fine for getting things going

Gone immediately is a massive amount of cost and problems

You now can have a normal front end for selling - of which there are loads out there - wordpress and woocommerce maybe

And are away

As opposed to the big dream - untested untried - to expensive - and never happens

Get those barriers down and ATERN it as much as possible

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  7. Paul Carmen

As @Page says, you are potentially thinking far too big & have not tested the business model. If it's successful there are plenty of routes to future investment to create the platform you want.

A WordPress site could do a lot of this, integrated with WooCommerce & potentially a payment service provider if you want to take payments other than PayPal. It certainly would be easier to configure back end access for vendors & cheaper to build/develop. There potentially would be drawbacks on drop shopping, but initialy this could be a manual process until you scaled.

Using this approach you only spend money as you need it, instead of building an all singing all dancing site with no customers.

I'd suggest you create a business plan & look at the main elements that your business needs to succeed before you work on the platform, these are: -
    1. How do you attract the customers who will buy the product to your new website, where do these customers go to buy now, if you're competing against Amazon/eBay they have massive resources & tonnes of traffic already?
    2. If it's more niche, then you still need a plan to attract traffic for your site, as it won't rank initially if its a new business/site. Depending how competitive the market it is, you can carry out local SEO, national SEO & outreach, plus PPC & offline advertising, but you need a budget to do this, what is it?
    3. How do you attract vendors, are you going to run some sort of campaign for vendors, do you have industry details so you don't have to do this, or do you need to rank in search engines for this too?
    Once you've answered the business elements of the plan, plus how you fund it, you can then start on the technical stuff. Doing it the other way around is pointless, as actually having a market & strategy to get customers is key.

Posted: Feb 13, 2018 at 11:21 AM By: Paul Carmen Member since: Jan 27, 2018
  8. JaneFrances

Thanks both that has given me alot to think about.

Posted: Feb 16, 2018 at 5:12 PM By: JaneFrances Member since: Feb 8, 2018