Legal Brought to you by Company Formations 24/7

Solicitors Costs

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Indi Saangha, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Indi Saangha

Indi Saangha UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    As solicitors do we HAVE to inform our client that they have the right to have their costs assessed

Any law on this? Any explanation would be helpful

I understand assessment must be made within one month except for certain cases

If my client does not pay, even after many chasers, what is my best option? I know stat demand is possible but should I address LBA first?

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Indi Saangha Member since: Feb 22, 2018
  2. KAC

KAC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

846 188
    Normally we would say "Speak to a local lawyer for advice on this " but ...........:rolleyes:o_O

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: KAC Member since: May 7, 2017
  3. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

13,251 2,869
    Googling eventually found me N258C Request for Detailed Assessment Hearing Pursuant to an order under Part III of the Solicitors Act 1974.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  4. smallclaimsassistance

smallclaimsassistance UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

726 184
    If they do not agree with the level of fees charged they should engage with you. If they're not doing that, and you've been patient, what else can you do? As far as process is concerned, yes you have to go down the route prescribed in the Debt Pre-Action Protocol.

I assist a solicitor local to me with exactly this issue, and in all of the cases in which I've been involved, without exception, the motivation seems to be nothing more prepossessing than a reluctance to pay.

Dean

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: smallclaimsassistance Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  5. Indi Saangha

Indi Saangha UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    ty for the reply, i understand they can choose to challenge costs, but do I have to make it known to the client they are allowed to have them assessed? is there anything in the law that says this

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Indi Saangha Member since: Feb 22, 2018
  6. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

8,978 2,277
    If you, as a solicitor, really don't kone, I suggest you ask the Law Society.

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  7. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

6,699 1,465
    This is the second post where you have come to a business forum for answers to a legal question, when you work for a solicitors.

Why are you not asking one of the partners or one of the solicitors this?

Posted: Mar 5, 2018 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009