Sole trader for Shopify: what PO box in the UK should I rent?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by eddyyss, Aug 12, 2019.

1. eddyyss

eddyyss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Hi there,

I am in the process of creating my first Shopify store. I will sell items around the globe.

To make everything legal I would like to become a sole trader (UK).
    What do you think, if a sole trader is sufficient if I am the only one who manages and owns an online store?

Since my shop is online, I would also like to rent a P.O. box or official office address in the UK.
    What source/website would you like to suggest to find one that is related to a business address?

Regards

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 By: eddyyss Member since: Mar 6, 2014
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,606 1,719
    PO box 45881 is a good one to rent. If its available.

An actual address is better, even if its an office address you pay to have mail forwarded from.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. eddyyss

eddyyss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    Basically, you're saying that the best practice is to have an office address and then from there forward mail to another address? What office space/address would you suggest?

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 By: eddyyss Member since: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

15,606 1,719
    Any you rent as an address should have facility (for a fee or included in price) to forward mail.
    You'll prefer that facility the first time you get bailiffs tracking you down over court action you didn't put a defence in for...

A few times over the years have come across people who didn't get mail forwarded and had to spend time and effort sorting out legal action too late.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,593 8,983
    People like to see a real address on a website along with a phone number and email. It gives them some confidence that there will someone who can help when it all goes awry.

Google also likes a real address and phone number.

Forwarding addresses can work but people check these things before purchasing and it can put them off. My wife always check streetview before placing an order.

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006