Sole Trader following other branding

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by antp__, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antp__

antp__ UKBF Regular Free Member

175 25
    Hi everyone,

After a little help if possible. I'm sure I have seen a similar thread before but cannot find it again now / unsure of the outcome.

My Dad has been self employed for 30 years and runs under his name. He is still working however i'm now also looking at going self employed. Due to the name being so well known now and reputable. I want to brand everything the same (van, letterhead etc). My Dad is fine with this, he's agreed to sign to say so too.

On my invoices, how would I go about it. Of course, a van, website etc can say whatever on it (my dads name branding). However, my worry is if the letterhead on my invoice is his branding, my accountant will say well it isn't invoiced to me.

Would it be good enough having his branding at the top as letterhead then under it says
    Invoice From: my name, address etc.
    Invoice To: customer name, address etc.

Or.. would I have to put my name T/A his name / brand somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 By: antp__ Member since: Mar 30, 2014
  2. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,519 1,203
    How would customers know the distinction between the two separate businesses?

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
  3. antp__

175 25
    @The Accountancy Lab, thanks for replying.

In short, I don't want them to. My Dad and I will work together on the larger jobs where I will invoice my Dad for my work. He will then do his own work, and so will I. My Dad has built up his business over the last 40 years. Which I want to keep the name going, just right now he's still working.

When he decides he wants to retire (if he does), I want to carry the name on.

So..

My Dads name is Mr A B Surname. And trades under A. B. Surname - Heating & Plumbing. So when he invoices customers, they make the payment out to Mr. A B Surname.

Although I will be self employed, I still wish to show the brand, A. B. Surname - Heating & Plumbing. But when it comes to invoicing the customers, I wanted this 'brand' on the paperwork as it will also be on the website & vans.

Although, my name is Mr. C. D. Surname. So can I just put the letterhead as.

A. B. Surname - Heating & Plumbing.

Invoice From: Mr. C. D. Surname - address.

Invoice To: Customer Name.

Bit of a confusing one I know. It's not the point of customers defining which 'business' has done the work because I want it to look like 'A. B. Surname - Heating & Plumbing' did the work. I just happen to be one of the engineers, the other is my Dad.

My issue was, when it comes to accounting. I could of course get all invoices made to my Dad, and then invoice him. But its mainly when I need payment direct to myself, I would have to make the cheque lets say, payable to Mr C. D. Surname - not Mr. A. B. Surname. As long as my name is on the invoice in the 'Invoice From' section. Does it matter what the letterhead says?

He's a sole trader and wont go Ltd.

4. Anna Chandley

Anna Chandley UKBF Ace Free Member

1,580 483
    Have you considered a partnership between you and your dad so that you and your Dad are both partners of AB Surname - Heating and Plumbing.

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 By: Anna Chandley Member since: Jun 2, 2008
  5. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,482 4,414
    MacThing & Son.

The plumber we use has been called MacThing & Son for five generations.

The son took over, after his father got caught stealing a bathtub from the local plumbers' merchant dealership. He even got thrown out of the Free Masons for that - I had no idea that they had such high standards!

The son has a son and one day, he too will take over the business and a sixth generation of MacThings will be at the helm. We just hope that he will keep his fingers off other people's bathtubs!

Posted: Apr 12, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  6. antp__

175 25
    @Anna Chandley - My Dad used to employ me. I left to go onto other things in 2013, now trying to go back he has just taken on another mortgage for a property and his main worry is if work drys up. At least if he only has to worry about himself, and I worry about myself (wage wise) it isn't so pressurised. This is something I would have to discuss with him in detail.
    @The Byre - Was / is this a limited company? Or are they all setup as sole traders gradually taking on this name.

7. The Byre

10,482 4,414
    The son is a friend of mine (we both are into vintage cars) and he created a Ltd on taking over completely from his father ten years ago. Until then, nobody really cared, but given that the father was somewhat irresponsible (bathtubs and booze) and the son was a recovering heroine/cocaine/booze user, going Ltd was seen as the sensible thing to do.

8. antp__

175 25
    @The Byre so how would invoices go. I'm guessing the headed paper would have MacThing & Son and then the invoice from would just have the sons personal name on there?

9. The Byre

10,482 4,414
    That, I have forgotten and is lost in the mists of time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.