Solar PV Sales

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by jj_5, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jj_5

jj_5 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 1
    Hi,

Recently been working in a direct sales role with a solar panel firm. Wont discuss too many details but basically they are being investigated for dodgy sales tactics, and also due to their affiliation with SAS alarms ( shut down for ripping off pensioners). I found all this out last week and have been looking for a similar role since then. Maybe the wrong place to post this but thought I'd give it a try.

I'm based in Edinburgh by the way.

Does anybody know of, or run any solar panel companies who would be looking to bring in staff, even on a self employed commission only basis

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
    Posted: Jul 23, 2011 By: jj_5 Member since: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    I guess Solar Panels are fastly becoming the UK's most ripped off profession. I'd stay clear from them big time and i bet i'm not the only one on here, Ever since we've been conned about global warming we've been told that we can make Thousands each year from Solar engery what a load of poop.

If i wanted to spen £15,000 just to save £200 a year i'd let you know, otherwise i'd start looking for a real job :cool:

Posted: Jul 23, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  3. jj_5

22 1
    Thanks MerchantUK appreciate your response.

The product itself is far more appealing than saving £200 per year however. Government FIT's pay you 41.3p per kwh for producing your own electricity even if you use it yourself.

Extra payments are also given for selling excess back to the grid. Typical returns (and I have spoken to people who have them installed) can be as much as £900 a year. Would be keen to know the reasons for your scepticism.

Posted: Jul 24, 2011 By: jj_5 Member since: Jun 20, 2011
  4. mrn90

mrn90 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

38 3
    Solar power in Scotland seems like one bad idea to me; it's mostly dull or raining - not that there aren't some scorching days; but I would say wind power and tidal power are the better green-vestments for Scotland - and I'm aware some wind farms have started up so my question is this: why use solar energy from Scotland? - Unless you're talking about manufacturing and selling the panels on to somewhere like Spain instead.

I also have to ask how much energy do you need to supply in order to get £900/year?

Posted: Jul 24, 2011 By: mrn90 Member since: Mar 22, 2011
  5. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,419 592
    The fact that we don't get half as much sunshine as the Tropics, So in Essence your saying that i could make as much as £900 a year when my electric bill is at present about £460 a year?? I'd glady have Solar Panels installed if the promises of £900 a year are true, Even if i made £225 a quarter i'd buy the system, but the truth of the matter is NO ONE CAN PROVE how much i could make, and i feel its a lot less than £900. :redface:

Posted: Jul 25, 2011 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  6. prjbicell

prjbicell Banned

125 23
    I thought I would put my threepenny worth in here just to clarify some points that some people may not be aware of.

Firstly Solar Panels (PV) does not need shine all day to work. They work in cloudy conditions too as they work on diffused daylight...albeit it will be a very slight reduction than in direct sunlight.

They are one of the best investments in the UK today outststripping banks by a long way.

The government has set up a reward scheme called the Feed-in-Tariff as mentioned earlier. Currently your electricity provider will pay the consumer back 43.3p for every KWh the panels generate...WHETHER YOU USE THE ELECTRICITY OR NOT. They will also pay you and Export tarriff or 3.1p for every KWh you export back to the grid. So..the customer gets the use of free electricity during the day, a payment for generating it and a payment for what they do not use and send back to the grid.

just some rough calculations...these will vary depending on where in the UK you live

A 4KW system installed would give and estimated annual outpou of 3212KWh. System cost around £14,000 on average.
    Fit tariff on this would be £1390 per annum. This is paid for 25 years and is index linked and tax free.
    If you say used 80% of the electricity generated and imported the remaining 20% you would get about £20 for the export payment.

The FIT would make you approx £40,000 over the course of the period taking into account it being indexed linked. This is only general figures but basically you will be paid this for 25 years, your would have recouped your outlay after 7 years approx and made an ROI of around 14%

I do hope I haven't bored the pants off you but I will ask you this question. Do you think if they weren't that good an investment that I would stop installing them for FREE??? Don't get me wrong..I will sell the panels as that is the best deal for the consumer...but if they can't afford them and the house meets my criteria then I give them away... Job done

Posted: Jul 28, 2011 By: prjbicell Member since: Mar 8, 2011
  7. Roger Furness

Roger Furness Guest

21 0
    You're right you can see the current prices on the energy saving trust website just search feed in tarriff on google.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 By: Roger Furness Member since: Jul 19, 2011
  8. jj_5

22 1

Thanks for replying :). Solar Panels need daylight to work. Not sunlight. With respect, I feel you are displaying a lack of knowledge which is fair enough. You can prove how much a solar panel earns you, by calculating it's expected output over the year (This won't be 100% accurate but tests have been carried out to ensure a certain degree of accuracy)

The installer will look at your roof, it's pitch and orientation, and from that calculate how many Kwhs the Panels are likely to produce over the course of a year.

For each ONE of these KWhrs you are paid 43.3p. For any you do not use (e.g whilst at work) your paid an extra 3 pence on top.

A solar system in Scotland can easily produce 2000 kwhrs over a year (a 2.5KW system will do this on the right roof). 2000 Kwhrs x 43.3p = £866 If 20% of these Kwhrs are produced when youre at work you get paid the extra 3p (400 x £0.03) £12

Electricity bill savings are cited at £70 for the average household.

FIT: £866
    Export: £12
    Electricity Savings: £70
    Total savings/income: £948 a year (index-linked, tax free).

wee bit better than sticking your money in a bank

Posted: Aug 4, 2011 By: jj_5 Member since: Jun 20, 2011
  9. Craigaroo

Craigaroo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

88 8
    My main gripe with solar pv companies are that they seem to be mostly ran by people who have absolutely no experience in the plumbing, gas or electric industry. Most seem to be folk just wanting to draw people in with the promise of free electricity and make a quick buck.

I know of at least 5 companies in Glasgow that have been set up recently, all with flashy websites, tons of marketing material and more sales tactics than you could toss your granny at. The natural progression will be from gas central heating into renewables so I reckon the safest bet is to wait until the big players begin rolling out their packages. Some already have and I can't find any mention of free solar panels or free electricity on their websites!!!

What I wonder is when the long established reputable central heating firms all start bringing out their own renewable packages will they be screaming free electricity from the rooftops?

or will they simply be saying that renewable energy is a great way to reduce your carbon foot print and possibly reduce your electricity bills somewhat.

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 By: Craigaroo Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  10. Craigaroo

Craigaroo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

88 8
    Just noticed that looked like I was having a go at solar pv in general, I'm not!

I just sympathise with people who have fallen for the whole free electricity etc when that's not really the overall point in renewable energy.

Posted: Aug 22, 2011 By: Craigaroo Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  11. MrCloser

MrCloser UKBF Newcomer Free Member

370 99
    Tell that to British Gas, N power, EON, BP and numerous pension and investment funds currently investing millions into residential and commercial solar right now. The 'free' panel offers available in some areas are a pretty good example big business having checked the figures out carefully.

Given that only about a quarter of homes are suitable for solar panels, they will only ever be part of a portfolio of different renewable energy technologies.

Irrespective of wether you belive in global warming or not, there are many good economic and national security reasons for the UK to become less reliant on oil and gas supplied from abroad. As aging coal and nuclear power stations are reaching the end of their lives we are all facing a serious impending energy crisis.

Government incentives to increase renewable energy generating capacity have a lot of benefits, even if one ignores the main environmental considerations. As energy bills sharply increase, gauranteed Feed in Tariffs will likely be reduced in the future on new installations, hence big industry is moving in fast on this sector.

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 By: MrCloser Member since: Aug 2, 2011
  12. Ryan RNM Marketing

Ryan RNM Marketing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hello to all,

We are a provide of free solar leads and would like to offer our service to companies wishing to purchase quality leads.

Our leads are generated covering the necessary critera and backed up by our quality control team ensuring that all of our leads are as described.

We charge £30 for our leads and feel that this is a very fair price given the qulaity and extra cost of QC.

If you do with to discuss our service further of have any current lead requirements, please conatct Ryan on 01202 855846.

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 By: Ryan RNM Marketing Member since: Aug 30, 2011
  13. ac198621

ac198621 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I am wondering if anyone knows where to buy solar panels from along with all of the mounting equipment?

I am new to this and would like to setup my solar array before the government feed in tariff is cut.

A friend of mine suggested: solarandheatstore.com

Does anyone have any other ideas? Really want to get this sorted.

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 By: ac198621 Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  14. MBE1

MBE1 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

647 215
    Just contact 3-4 companies and see what you think regarding their quotes, as with most things in life there is no special panel or company that is head and shoulders above anyone else, but some will listen to you, some will be competitive, others will offer long warranties etc, some might offer everything, others none.

You only have a month or so in real terms so best be quick. It might help if you mentioned what part of the country you are in.

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 By: MBE1 Member since: Jun 1, 2012
  15. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

6,829 2,669
    If you tell one of these companies that you are wanting to buy a PV system, they'll move in with you until you do!

If you take a bath, don't be at all surprised if you find a PV salesman nestling in the soap-dish!

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  16. Thermodynamic Man

Thermodynamic Man UKBF Regular Free Member

430 68
    Sorry, but reading your post it seems that you wish to purchase the panels, mountings, inverter etc and possibly install yourself?.. That is how it comes across anyway. Otherwise you would just get quotes from your local solar companies rather than post on here.

Well you can purchase all the equipment needed if you really wanted to go down that route, But in order to get the governments feed in tariff you will still need a qualified MCS installer to get the job done. Otherwise you cannot claim it. My advise to you is not to do a DIY job anyway. Go to a respectable installer, get a decent mono panel and inverter and let them install it. The prices are really falling now so it would be a good time to get in. But make sure they can fit it/backdate install date before the incentive finishes

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 By: Thermodynamic Man Member since: Aug 20, 2014
  17. Thermodynamic Man

Thermodynamic Man UKBF Regular Free Member

430 68
    Sorry, but reading your post it seems that you wish to purchase the panels, mountings, inverter etc and possibly install yourself?.. That is how it comes across anyway. Otherwise you would just get quotes from your local solar companies rather than post on here.

Well you can purchase all the equipment needed if you really wanted to go down that route, But in order to get the governments feed in tariff you will still need a qualified MCS installer to get the job done. Otherwise you cannot claim it. My advise to you is not to do a DIY job anyway. Go to a respectable installer, get a decent mono panel and inverter and let them install it. The prices are really falling now so it would be a good time to get in. But make sure they can fit it/backdate install date before the incentive finishes

Posted: Nov 6, 2015 By: Thermodynamic Man Member since: Aug 20, 2014