Software for producing websites - to replace Serif WebPlus

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by paulears, May 28, 2017.

1. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,067 8,577
    I still build really simple websites using just HTML and CSS. Granted they are not WYSIWYG or done with drag and drop but because they are simple they are really fast (and popular).

If want links to download you just upload the documents and add a link to the page. Couldn't be simpler. And only 30 lines of CSS and no javascript anywhere.

Posted: Mar 8, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  2. RichWL

RichWL UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    All useful stuff. I do not think that I have seen anyone mentioning the ability to password-protect some pages as can (could) be done with WebPlus and Serif Web Resources - now ceased. Can this be achieved easily (WYSWYG non-html) with any of these suggested alternatives?

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: RichWL Member since: Jun 11, 2018
  3. MarkAOrr

MarkAOrr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    I have been a long term Serif user and Webplus X8 was really good. I have been looking around for something similar and better to replace it. Now I have found the nearest ideal solution for me. It is called WYSIWYG Web Builder 14 and it's incredibly powerful. There is only one thing i can do in Serif that i can't do in WYSIWYG. In serif I can draw a picture frame and then put an image in it as a fill and therefore increase or decrease the size of the picture within that frame. I haven't found a way to do this in WYSIWYG yet.

WYSIWYG is extremely powerful and can do loads of other much more sophisticated things and only costs $50. Here's the link to their home page

wysiwygwebbuilder.com

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: MarkAOrr Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  4. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,043 220
    You can easily password protect pages in Wordpress.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  5. fisicx

29,067 8,577
    Building websites with WYSIWYG software is a really bad way to do anything. People browse suing a variety of devices so the site needs to be responsive to those devices. You can't build an effective responsive site using WYSIWYG. Far better to use WordPress and an off-the-shelf theme. Wordpress is free and has image resizing and password protection.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. MarkAOrr

MarkAOrr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    Hello RichWL, WYSIWYG web builder is HTML but can also publish PHP pages for forms etc. You can password protect a single page or the whole site. You can easily create individual log ins for people. The code is also good not bad.

It is truly responsive and adaptive to any screen size using up to 25 different view ports if you want to or you can use layout grids and let it respond as it chooses like wordpress. WYSIWYG is also vastly more secure than wordpress, doesn't require as much management, doesn't need a load of plugins to make it work and therefore doesn't have any conflict issues with plug ins. etc.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: MarkAOrr Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  7. fisicx

29,067 8,577
    No it's not, it's appalling. Which is why google scores the homepage 25/100.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  8. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

395 60
    You just can't beat Wordpress. I'm using it with Bootstrap currently. Been using Wordpress in general for 8+ years.

Anyone that says its has a steep learning curve is smoking something funny, it has the easiest learning curve you can imagine.

You can easily change the URL for the login to yourdomain/whateveryouwant.php - irony is, the guys saying this stuff haven't quite managed to get a proper SSL cert on their own site and fixed their own security issues.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  9. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

395 60
    Cannot believe anyone would pay for that BS.

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  10. Grumpy Old GuyF

Grumpy Old GuyF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I am coming to the thread a bit late but have a question: Serif Support tells me it is possible to copy the HTML code from Serif WebPlus. Is it possible to then paste it into a WordPress "file" and then execute the code? I do not want to redevelop a whole website with links, a PayPal connection and dynamic page data updates if I can avoid it.
    I would appreciate your input recognizing your considerable knowledge of WordPress.. My knowledge is pretty limited.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 By: Grumpy Old GuyF Member since: Jul 31, 2018
  11. fisicx

29,067 8,577
    You can’t copy the html code into Wordpress. It just doesn’t work like that. But if you don’t have a huge number of pages, importing everything and recreating all the links and PayPal and whatever doesn’t take more than a couple of hours. The initial pain will be rewarded many times over as you realise how much more flexible Wordpress over your current site builder.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. Raw Rob

Raw Rob UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,043 220
    The HTML code is a "flat" copy of the website, you lose all dynamic aspects of a website by exporting it as HTML. It depends on exactly what the dynamic elements are, but they will almost certainly need re-coding in some way. And it probably won't work from within Wordpress, although you might not even need that, just upload the HTML to a webserver.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 By: Raw Rob Member since: Aug 1, 2009
  13. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,476 826
    Had exactly the same problem - tried Wordpress and it is wonderful but doesn't suit my brain. I went with Muse, which Adobe then did a Serif on and it too is on it's last legs. A real bummer.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015