Software Advice

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by als-uk, Aug 30, 2019.

1. als-uk

als-uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Good afternoon

Hope everyone is well

I am looking for some advice please. We need a piece of software that will essentially enable us to create a database of medical clinics of various specialities e.g. physiotherapy, counselling and so on, to store agreements/contacts and have the functionality for us to type a patients postcode in and find the nearest appropriate clinic to their home or work address. We are a small business and don’t have thousands to spend on software development currently.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: als-uk Member since: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Blacksnow Web Design

Blacksnow Web Design UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Hi,

The cheapest option would probably be to use an excel spreadsheet with a search macro that links into the Google API.

The other option would be to create something dedicated to your requirement, either a windows or web based solution that can be expanded on at a later date it you want to/grow/have more funds. You could start for 100s rather than 1000s. Might be simple, a bit rough and ready but would be workable.

Happy to help by chatting through options.

Good luck!

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: Blacksnow Web Design Member since: Jan 4, 2017
  3. WESH.UK

WESH.UK UKBF Contributor Free Member

72 16
    Hi ALS

I'd highly recommend keeping things simple here and going with an Excel Spreadsheet.

A customer of ours does this and he may already have something built to do exactly this, so its worth giving him a call at least, as it will certainly be the most affordable option.

He's called Spreadsheet Solutions, based in Bromley, his name is Richard:
    https://spreadsheetsolutions.biz

I'd be amazed if he cant help..

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: WESH.UK Member since: Aug 11, 2018
  4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,033 261
    Haven't used it but perhaps the Google Maps 'My Maps' feature would work?

https://support.google.com/mymaps/answer/3024925

There probably is other mapping software out there which allows marking certain locations and searching postcodes.

A low cost web based solution would be a WordPress website which your staff can access with a Store Locator plugin installed. This could be accessed via mobile or desktop too.

Otherwise, it's relatively simple for a developer to put something together for you in a small web application to achieve this.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,243 1,731
    You can build this cheaply, believe it or not with WordPress and a GeoDirectory plugin.

You can make the WordPress site restricted so only your business can see it.

Costs:

Approx: £300-400 installation / set up by a developer ( you can DIY but it would be a learning curve ) - assuming that you can specify your actual requirements, and you are not too fussy about 'design' after all it won't be public

Approx £160 year for the GeoDirectory
    Approx £360 a year for hosting AND a developer to perform support updates etc

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  6. als-uk

als-uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Thanks for your input guys, very much appreciated. I will look into the options

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: als-uk Member since: Mar 18, 2015