Small businesses and the Tottenham riots

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by DanMartin, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanMartin

DanMartin Editor Free Member

2,443 158
    One of the outcomes of the violence overnight in Tottenham is the damage to local small companies. We've written about the impact over on UKBF's sister site BusinessZone and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, particularly if your business is based in the area.

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: DanMartin Member since: May 14, 2007
  2. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,442 1,775
    Will Business Zone be taking out advertising space at the funeals if anyone dies?

And have you got a couple of guys down there waving banners behind the reporters when they are being filmed saying come and visit businesszone.

Bring back NOTW

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  3. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,112 3,369
    My Granny always said if you can't say anything nice,then say nothing.

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  4. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    I can't imagine how gutting it must be to have your shop burnt down or looted in any circumstances, let alone in such targetted attacks by people trying to take advantage of the situation. Some of the shopkeepers and residents of flats above had to flee for their lives. The people setting fire to buildings had absolutely no regard for the lives of their fellow human beings whatsoever, let alone the effect on their businesses. The behaviour displayed last night is absolutely disgusting.

I bet many of these businesses are underinsured and there a some statistics which say that, after a catastrophic event such as this, only 20% of businesses manage to get back on their feet and carry on, even if they are fully insured.

These looters had nothing to do with the demonstration

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
    Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  5. Corbetth

Corbetth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I work for a Canadian TV station (CBC) and am very interested in speaking with anyone who witnessed the riots last night or lives/owns property in the area. This is obviossly an extremely sensitive topic and a tragic event but a significant one that we must cover. Thanks. I can be reched at:
    corbett(dot)hancey(at)cbc.ca

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: Corbetth Member since: Aug 7, 2011
  6. vvaannmmaann

13,112 3,369
    Further to the "riot" insurance comment above.Under the Riot (Damages) Act 1886 the Government would be liable for damage caused by a Riot.
    Therefore plod will refer to it as Serious/Major disturbance.Anyone arrested would be charged under Section 2 of the Act Hence everyone comes in for S2 public Order Act (Violent disorder) rather than S1 (Riot).

7. CreaseProof

CreaseProof UKBF Newcomer Free Member

47 16
    Any point the protestors were trying to make has been totally lost now. What a complete bunch of scumbags. I watched a news report this morning and there were guys jumping in front of the camera flashing gang signs and looking like idiots. Yeah - you're sooo cool, guys. You've just wrecked your own neighbourhood. Way to go.

I'm so glad to live where I do.

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: CreaseProof Member since: Jul 19, 2011
  8. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Whilst not condoning any behaviour.

I think one has to wait for the investigation into the original shooting.

Earl

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  9. vvaannmmaann

13,112 3,369
    Why?
    Will burning shops, homes and buses change the outcome?

10. CreaseProof

47 16
    What difference would the outcome to the investigation make?

There is no excuse to burn and loot shops and rob innocent people of their livelihood. The initial protest had nothing to do with the business owners or local residents.

11. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    Oh so you have never lost your temper over what you thought was an injustice.:|

Earl

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  12. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,154 367
    Like Earl I don't condone the violence either but the riot was apparenly started by heavyhanded police tactics again.

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  13. CreaseProof

47 16
    Hahaha. I can safely say that I have never burned down a shop or bus, no.

14. CreaseProof

47 16
    According to what I've seen/read, the protest started peaceful but as more people joined in it started getting rowdy. Police had been tipped off that there was going to be trouble before it had started.

15. Podge

1,154 367
    And I heard on the bbc news it was sparked when two officers pushed a sixteen year old girl to the floor.

Admittedly it was only mentioned once but it is the bbc so that doesn't surprise me.

16. Bob

Bob UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,668 929
    If so, it will be interesting to know what the 16 year old girl was doing at the time :|

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: Bob Member since: Jul 24, 2009
  17. Podge

1,154 367
  18. CreaseProof

47 16
    The protest was just an excuse for some scumbags to smash and grab.

19. Employment Law Clinic

Employment Law Clinic UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,345 1,577
    So am I, which as of today is coincidentally Tottenham! Maybe a couple of 100 yards from the high road/centre of events if that helps.

My local Aldi might be no more (never used it when I stayed here previously, but I don't condone the fact it doesn't exist anymore). Some local businesses & families have been put out too, and that must be absolutely horrible for them, but this destruction of the Tottenham community must be nipped in the bud, rather than fuelled by ignorance or the media reluctantance to report the actual reasons why it started – as I understand it, communication about events by the police to the family, not leaving them to realise this via the media.

My new home’s high street may have fewer amenities than I expected when I signed up for this, but I still have no hesitation in living in Tottenham.

Any local business affected by last nights’ conduct deserves our support, and that won’t be achieved by talking the area down.

We have to remember that any business relies on its community, whether the local people buying milk, or the community of wave-fans (is there a parlance for these Earl?) that buy jet skis from Earl. UKBF can be a community, just as Tottenham is. My local shops in White Hart Lane (next to the closed High Road) were open tonight, and will be again tomorrow. In the short-term, the high road might lose some custom to the smaller shops, but most (barring fire damage) have the potential to return to business if people that don’t know what they’re talking about or rely on edited media don’t talk the area down.

I’m so glad to live where I do, and will continue to support those small businesses around here that support the community.

Karl Limpert

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: Employment Law Clinic Member since: Aug 10, 2009
  20. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Can you expand on how bringing back the NOW will help community relations in places like Tottenham or anywhere else ?

The NOW was run by crooks who have broken the law in the 'News' gathering bit of their title and have been caught.

Do you want to see the re-establishment the same crooked practices ?

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.