Sites losing sales by being unclear about the carriage charges until the end of the checkout

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Justin Smith, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,211 198
    But not with an easy to find link on each buying page, or in the header, or even in the footer come to that. Somebody said it was in FAQs ? ! ? How stupid of me for not looking in there.
    BUT, in actual fact the site has a search facility, I distinctly remember putting cost of carriage into that and it brought up (and still does, I've just checked ! ) :

Your search for ‘cost of carriage’ returned 0 results - Please try another search...

QED

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,783 326
    There is a link of each page - it's at the bottom left in the footer - titled 'delivery information'. Click that and it tells you the cost of the delivery. How simpler could they make it? Time for a visit to Specsavers? :)

Could have phoned them as well like you have to on your website! LOL

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  3. InternetMarketingPlatinum

InternetMarketingPlatinum UKBF Ace Full Member

1,589 211
    Alan but the point in terms of usability is that the delivery cost should be clear and explicit during any given user journey. For example, the delivery cost isn't clear on mobile (which may be 60% of the site's visits) when clicking on a particular product from Google SERPS. In this instance the delivery information simply doesn't appear in sight of the user's journey, until they begin to fill in their details, at which point they might have given up and clicked away.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: InternetMarketingPlatinum Member since: Jul 21, 2009
  4. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,783 326
    I do agree - however the op has said it's not clear where delivery costs are shown despite them being shown as a link on each page even on mobile.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  5. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    Two things :
    1 - The link says "Delivery information", which, to me, implies it concerns how it's going to be sent and possibly how long it might take. It does not imply they'll be discussing the cost of it. I accept that my take on this might be skewed by the fact I run a business selling most of its stuff by mail order.
    2 - The fact is I did not see the price of delivery nor could I find it using their search function, and therefore did not buy from that site.

You are right about phoning them as there is a phone number on the contact us page (so a brownie point to them there) but it was Boxing day and I didn't think they'd be there, plus I have been conditioned into thinking no business these days actually wants to talk to its customers, which, unfortunately, is correct in many, possibly even most, cases.....

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    Your site is just as unclear.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    On that we will have to disagree, quite apart from anything else if you put cost of carriage into the search bar it does bring up the answer, unlike Corgi's website. But, as it happens, I have adopted the earlier suggestion that I put a direct link to delivery charges on every product :
    Carriage charges.
    It will take some time though....
    In fact, just to be sure I'm putting it in eth short description and the full description.
    It is possible we may actually lose the odd order from people who order some CoAx plugs or whatever and (as it is at the moment) never bother to check the carriage charge. But, TBH, I don't want orders like that where people might be shocked when they get the invoice and see how much carriage they have actually paid.

8. fisicx

33,842 10,043
    Get yourself a website review. The problem is you are too close to the coalface and can't see many of the UX issues.

As to you suggestion of adding a link to each product, this just takes people away from the product. Put the cost on the page not a link.

9. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    I can't put the cost on the page because the cost are all so different, particularly if bought as a part of a package, which most of our products are.

10. InternetMarketingPlatinum

1,589 211
    It would be more work, but the delivery costs could be dynamically added to the page as a single value, based on what's in the cart at the time, even packages. Alternatively, can't you simplify the carriage charges and consolidate them then add a single static value? Lots of different charges might confuse things.

In terms of UX a website should work similarly to other websites the user has visited.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  11. fisicx

33,842 10,043
    You can do this. It just needs more work to set up. If you have packages these get listed with their costs.

It’s all about making things easier for the customer. As an aside, everything I’ve seen on your site costs £8 to post. That’s dead simple to add to each product.

12. InternetMarketingPlatinum

1,589 211
    Exactly. It's a matter of deciding what the end user needs and then getting it done if you don't know how to do it yourself. Not working within constraints of what you think can be done or what you think is easiest.

You're not reinventing the wheel here. It's quite standard practice for an ecommerce website, and your website visitors will be discerning enough to expect it these days.

13. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    We must sell just about the biggest range of stuff (as regards cost to deliver) of any website. It ranges from CoAx plugs at about £1 to send, to a 20 ft pole to a residential address in the highlands of Scotland at £92.50. For "over length" items it is impossible to make it automated because there is a £12.50 surcharge for a residential address.
    If we were sending 100s orders a week, particularly if they were relatively low value, it'd be worth spending hours and hours working out all the permutations (excluding "over length" items) and adding it to Woo Commerce site. But we don't send out 100s a week, not any more anyway, so it isn't.

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  14. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    We sell a fair range of stuff - well over a thousand items listed usually on any one site and can be some on a dozen sites.
    Including the costs to deliver by one method into the item price works for us.

So a standard amount is known.

Then adds on if needed for 1st class, special delivery or international sales beyond that site.

The permutations are considerable. While we aren't daft enough to get into 20 foot poles (well, not when packaging them in a house anyway) we end up with customers knowing what they are paying.

And we do send 100s of orders a week some weeks.

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  15. fisicx

33,842 10,043
    You aren’t making use of the available tools. You can add all the details to a CSV and upload. You can create variants to reduce the range. You can automate much of the store management.

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  16. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    How do you get around stuff like APC "non conveyable" category limits the order to two parts, and you do not know whether the order will then fit into that or has to go as two consignments = twice the price, or even by DX freight, in which case, if it's a business address it's actually cheaper, or if its a residential address it's actually more expensive ? Don't forget we're talking a lot of money for a non conveyable delivery, and people ordering poles know they have to pay extra for the delivery, whereas people buying aerials will not pay the extra to cross subsidise them. And nor should they.

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  17. fisicx

33,842 10,043
    Those are outliers. The majority of items you can easily add P&P. For those where carriage is more complicated make a statement on the product page.

Don’t try to eat the whole elephant at once. Fix the easy stuff first then worry about the awkward products. Using variants will make your like so much simpler.

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  18. InternetMarketingPlatinum

1,589 211
    Good advice

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 By: InternetMarketingPlatinum Member since: Jul 21, 2009
  19. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    I think there is a breakdown in communication here somewhere !
    The site automatically charges £8 or £4 or zero (depending on if the order is under £50, under £100 or over £100) for carriage. Furthermore, for "non conveyable products", it automatically adds the N/C surcharge (or more than one if appropriate) to the order.

If the delivery address is abroad or off shore or wherever we send them an E Mail asking for the relevant surcharge, or offer to refund the order. The great majority pay up without complaint. There aren't that many of these orders, possibly a few a week.

RM orders are the odd ones, but on average we only 2 or 3 a day anyway. There we refund £2 or £3 in carriage without the customer even asking, it doesn't take that long. Experience has taught us that nearly all customers think we're the Dogs Bollox for doing so and that gives us great job satisfaction. Customers cannot believe a seller actually refunds them money that he does not have to do and without them even asking.

From the 1st Jan this year poles over 8ft cannot be ordered online, it really is far too complicated to automate that, as I've already said the carrier's £12.50 huge residential surcharge makes that impossible.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  20. matlob

matlob UKBF Contributor Free Member

98 19
    But how many visitors think you are taking the mick and go and buy somewhere else without placing an order? Do you track abandonments?

Even if you just set up a shipping class for small items it would be worth it and not a massive job.

Your header just says free delivery if over £100. People won't know that clicking that shows delivery details either. I would do some proper testing with end users to see how they view and use the site as you are too close to it as you know the process.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 By: matlob Member since: Apr 3, 2016