Sites losing sales by being unclear about the carriage charges until the end of the checkout

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Justin Smith, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,211 198
    I, along with my son, have just been searching for Corgi die cast tanks Online. I'd have preferred to buy it/them in a shop (and saved the cost of delivery...) but am not sure it will be available in Sheffield.
    We found the item on Corgi's website, but try as I might I could not find out how much the carriage would be (other than "free carriage for orders over £50") without almost completing the buy process. That annoyed me so much I just went looking for it elsewhere. Why should I waste my time putting in all my details just to find out how much something is going to cost me ?
    My strong advice to anyone with an online shop is to tell people early on what the carriage will be. even if it's only an estimate, i.e. standard carriage (for a normal size parcel) is £X.
    I do that on my site, everyone should do so, not doing it is just annoying for people and you WILL be losing sales.

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    Posted: Dec 26, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    They won't be losing sales from the people able to find the information.

Usually its hard to figure out what carriage should be without taking into account the order size.
    Hence places tend to have a standard rate, maybe a variated rate, or free delivery and include shipping into pricing.

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    I disagree. The carriage price, or an estimation of it, should be on the sales page, or a prominent link on every sales page. The proof of the pudding is I did not buy it from their website.
    Here is my site, the link is to the home page, but it is on a banner across the top of every page :
    https://www.aerialsandtv.com
    Click on free delivery brings up "Standard carriage charges".
    Now that's what I call "wasn't difficult to find".

5. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    I certainly agree that working out a carriage charge can be very difficult if you sell a huge range of stuff like us, from a CoAx plug to a 12ft pole... But not so much, I would have thought, for Corgi toys....

6. matlob

matlob UKBF Contributor Free Member

98 19
    If you had clicked on their 'free delivery' in the header it would show delivery options. It is also in the footer of every page where I would look.

Agreed they could highlight it on product pages/basket and show the price if under £50 but it wasn't hard to find. Did you expect the delivery to be much less than £4.98?

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 By: matlob Member since: Apr 3, 2016
  7. alan1302

alan1302 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,783 326
    Sites can also lose custom for high P&P charges - £8 for a pack of nuts/washers!

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    Looking on my phone and can’t find anything about delivery. First time I saw anything about delivery cost was on checkout. And £8? Really?

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,856 1,086
    It took me 25-30 seconds to find the same link as @fisicx

Pretty much every website will have something at the bottom of every page along the lines of postage/shipping/delivery etc. In all honesty, unless it says free delivery or a standard charge on their website near the top, that is the first place I go to.

I do not think it was difficult to find.

I have just picked 3 websites at random:
    Next - bottom of the page.
    B&Q (diy.com) - bottom of the page.
    Smyths toys - says free delivery on orders over £19, but there is also a link at the bottom of their page.

It is standard practice.

I fully agree with you, if it is difficult/impossible to find until the check out, I dont bother. But the corgi website really is not difficult to find and one person is not proof of anything.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  10. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,644 1,250
    I actually bought something yesterday where it said carriage charges on the delivery address screen, but had the PayPal button FIRST, I suddenly wondered if it was a scam, as in I pap by PayPal and get stung a huge amount for delivery. In the end it was the at all, a modest charge but it did change my impression negatively. I doubt they realised how it looks. On ebay I definitely sell more with free postage, but sometimes it bites me when the manufacturer puts in a free cable or adaptor and it tips the scales into the higher price. When I upped all the prices by a small amount and free postage, sales went up, easily covering the cost.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  11. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,764 428
    That is too much effort for a lot of people. Links at the bottom are not obvious for many. We all know its standard practice, but a lot of users will not. Take a look at the stats for how many people click scroll to the bottom or click on the delivery information link.

Show the shipping cost on each item and on the current total in the basket. Show "spend another x pounds to get free delivery". Whatever will make it easy for people.

I find that very interesting, as ebay will sort searches by price including P & P and shows delivery costs on every item so its very easy to see the total cost.

A possible explanation is that free delivery reduces the cognitive load enough to make it preferable to thinking about even already displayed information about cost.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  12. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,644 1,250
    Ebay encourage business sellers to feature inclusive pricing citing increased sales, and it does seem to work for me. The damn management payments thing rather spoils it - I got a request for a return, way outside of the 14 days period and the buggers still put a hold on the funds in case I agreed, which was what they were clearly suggesting.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  13. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

894 195
    Had a go at your site and picked a random item. Description comes up:

Available by special order delivered direct from our suppliers at extra carriage cost, please phone the order through.

NOTE : These poles are obviously not boxed when sent by carrier. We do not regard superficial scratches or shallow indentations which make no difference to the pole’s strength as adequate reasons for rejecting a pole delivery. Serious damage (deep indentations or kinks), which are thankfully rare, are obviously a different matter

Ordering seems to require a phone call for postage cost and some Russian roulette about the delivered condition. At this stage I wouldn't order anymore.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  14. Mr D

26,286 3,218
    We found years ago that including postage into price usually resulted in decent sales. And those buying multiple items could give us increased profit for the sale.

Also makes it a lot easier to deal with stuff that may go letter, large letter, parcel or courier delivery. No need to worry about price bands or cost per kilo or anything complicated.

Or indeed the problem Justin found in not knowing what would be paid. Price is all inclusive, what is listed is what is charged.
    Unless choosing a different delivery method. We charge extra for 1st class, special delivery or overseas from UK site.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  15. Mr D

26,286 3,218
    Should I ever take up pole dancing I would want an unscratched pole with no shallow indentation.
    Why something cannot be protected in transit? Unknown.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. Scottishgifts4u

Scottishgifts4u UKBF Regular Free Member

118 44
    Our postage used to be £3.00 which was displayed prominently on the front page.
    Then we changed to free U.K. postage and really noticed a big difference in the number of orders we were getting.
    As with Mr D we often got customers ordering several different items all of which had postage built in so that increased the profitability of that order.
    When I order personally it really depends on what I’m ordering. If you’re ordering a small low priced item I object to paying possibly more than that costs in postage.

Posted: Dec 28, 2020 By: Scottishgifts4u Member since: Jul 6, 2017
  17. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

271 46
    A business doing postage properly will be taking your address and properly working out shipping options/costs instead of charging fixed rates. Not only does this mean you pay the correct postage with correct insurance applied etc. It also means you are not paying more or less postage than you should.

Considering what you are buying, this is a good thing. Some sites will allow you to calculate shipping from the basket page before going through the checkout by simply entering your address.

Posted: Dec 28, 2020 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  18. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    I agree completely, which is why on my site this link is frequently repeated :

P&P is cheaper for this item if you phone the order through !

Posted: Dec 28, 2020 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  19. matlob

matlob UKBF Contributor Free Member

98 19
    Which is also a reason why they may not proceed with purchase..

Looks like you are using woocommerce. It's pretty straightforward to set up shipping classes so you can group your products into deliveries costs

i.e
    connectors - £2 delivery
    poles - £8 delivery

if poles and connectors are added to the cart the delivery will be £8.

Posted: Dec 28, 2020 By: matlob Member since: Apr 3, 2016
  20. Justin Smith

1,211 198
    Don't get me on that one..... It really annoys me on E Bay for instance when the carriage is included in the price of the item (it most certainly is not free) but they either don't offer any discount if you buy more than one, or a paltry 10% when I know for a fact they could offer 30% or even 50% and still be making more money than if I only bought one.....
    A classic example was just the other week, we were prepared to buy 6 cans of spray paint (which would probably have lasted us 2 years ! ) for which the carriage cost for the seller would probably not have been that much more than for just one. I asked what discount we could have for 6 and they said "none, it's carriage free", so I just bought one, and will just buy one every time I need some more paint. They really were cutting off their noses in a big big way because if they'd have offered me 30% off for a box of 6 I'd probably have taken it and, over 6 purchases, they'd have probably made twice as much money with half as much work. Ridiculous.

I'm very much aware how I'd feel if I was ripped off for carriage so we do our very best to be fair, somewhat surprisingly (to many people) if someone ordered a pack of Nuts & Bolts Online we refund them some of the carriage without them even asking.
    We are constantly surprised at how many people order small items, like CoAx plugs, and pay £8 carriage without, one assumes, even realising it. That's why we refund some of it (when we spot it) unprompted.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Posted: Dec 28, 2020 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012