Site review

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Niki-SoCornish, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Niki-SoCornish

Niki-SoCornish UKBF Contributor Full Member

32 0
    Hi

I would really appreciate your help with an honest assessment of my website.
    Good or bad constructive comments welcome as you can look at something too much and lose perspective.

https://socornish.co.uk/

Thank you in advance.

Niki
    (A little nervous)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
    Posted: Jul 12, 2018 By: Niki-SoCornish Member since: Jul 11, 2018
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    I liked the look of your fudge but it's out of stock. Even if it were in stock it will cost me £3.50 + £4.95 delivery which is a total of £8.45. I can buy it direct from the manufacture for £3.49 and free postage. So you need to rethink your pricing.

I made a test purchase and was taken off site to make the payment with no obvious way to return to the shop/checkout.

A lot of people browse using mobile phones. The site is responsive but it's not a good UX on a phone. Take a look yourself to see what I mean.

The product pages need work. This is what I see: [​IMG]
    It doesn't even have the product name and when I scroll down it says:

"This gorgeous lightweight microfleece blanket is super soft and cuddly. It has the classic design of navy blue and ecru stripes with a yellow stitched edge."

How big is it? Where is a view of the stiching? Is it treated? Can I wash it? What is ecru? Where is the image of a baby wrapped in the product?

I can't feel or touch the product so you have to do the job for me. Imagine someone calling on the phone, how would you describe the product to them? Those are the words that need to be on the site along with lots of images.

I'd also rethink the homepage. There is an awful lot of stuff on the page before I get to the products. And only answering the phone 9-5 isn't a lot of use when I have a question at the weekend.

You have a bunch of SM icons in the header - do you really want people to go off site? Wouldn't you rather they buy your things?

You have overdone the categories, tags and the optimisations. No need to keep saying Cormwall - it looks all wrong:

Categories: Cornish Gift Special Offers, Cornish Gifts Ideas For Women, Bath And Body, Cornish Pampering Products For Men And Women
    Tags: cornish sea weed gifts, cornish seaweed, seaweed soap

The products are great but you need to make them much more visible and work up the descriptions and imagery.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,998 3,446
    I'm a fan of much of the type of products.

Hmmm.... spelling. I'd use 'Cornish soap' as a title.
    Cornish Maid Soap

Those above words run together on my screen making it harder to read.

Pink Roses fizzing bath melts looks purple. Perhaps different picture or different identifier?

Apricot & Raspberry Natural Face Mask - that on my screen cuts off at the part word 'Fac'.

That's just one section. I like the products, to me its minor things I'd change. I daresay some of the experts will tear the site apart and give great advice.
    Will look for more later, lunch beckons.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Niki-SoCornish

32 0
    I liked the look of your fudge but it's out of stock. Even if it were in stock it will cost me £3.50 + £4.95 delivery which is a total of £8.45. I can buy it direct from the manufacture for £3.49 and free postage. So you need to rethink your pricing.

Valid point, they are supposed to be a basket filler but if they are out of stock there is not much chance of that!

I made a test purchase and was taken off site to make the payment with no obvious way to return to the shop/checkout.

The automatic return worked up until I last checked, I need to address this.

A lot of people browse using mobile phones. The site is responsive but it's not a good UX on a phone. Take a look yourself to see what I mean.

Point taken, I will look at this.

The product pages need work. This is what I see:
    It doesn't even have the product name and when I scroll down it says:

"This gorgeous lightweight microfleece blanket is super soft and cuddly. It has the classic design of navy blue and ecru stripes with a yellow stitched edge."

How big is it? Where is a view of the stiching? Is it treated? Can I wash it? What is ecru? Where is the image of a baby wrapped in the product?

I can't feel or touch the product so you have to do the job for me. Imagine someone calling on the phone, how would you describe the product to them? Those are the words that need to be on the site along with lots of images.

I see what you mean, the information is too vague and needs addressing.

I'd also rethink the homepage. There is an awful lot of stuff on the page before I get to the products. And only answering the phone 9-5 isn't a lot of use when I have a question at the weekend.

I agree I have crammed the home page, it sounds like a good idea to slim it down. The 9-5 is an other commitments situation which is why I try to steer customers towards email which I will always respond quickly to.

You have a bunch of SM icons in the header - do you really want people to go off site? Wouldn't you rather they buy your things?

Makes sense.

You have overdone the categories, tags and the optimisations. No need to keep saying Cormwall - it looks all wrong:

Categories: Cornish Gift Special Offers, Cornish Gifts Ideas For Women, Bath And Body, Cornish Pampering Products For Men And Women
    Tags: cornish sea weed gifts, cornish seaweed, seaweed soap

I never know what is enough or too little with this sort of thing, I do seem to rank quite well on Cornish gifts searches but I agree it does look overdone.

The products are great but you need to make them much more visible and work up the descriptions and imagery.

Thank you again for your input, ideas and critique, you have made some very valid points.
    Kind regards
    Niki

5. Niki-SoCornish

32 0

6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! { Moderator }

34,229 10,156
    This is before I make a payment. When I get to the payment page there is no link back to the site.

In addition, on the checkout page is asks me if I want pay with PayPal or CC. I selected CC and the next page offers me PayPal again. It's little things like this that annoy people. You are using wordpress with woocommerce so there is no reason to take people off site.

I also understand about you wanting email communications but if I order a hamper for delivery on Saturday for a baby shower on Sunday and I hasn't arrived I want to be able to pick up the phone and talk you. The business needs to run to meet the customer's need not how you would like then to do things.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Niki-SoCornish

32 0
    Thank you again.
    Niki