Similar business name for online store abroad

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Farida101, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Farida101

Farida101 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The business name I have chosen for my online retail store is very similar to one that is based in the US. They have a bricks and mortar as well as selling a host of items online worldwide. I will only be selling 1 category of what they sell. I have bought the .uk domain name which is along the lines of Thebusinessname.co.uk. Theirs is shopbusinessname.com

There is no UK company registered on companies house or trademarked that name and I do have the .co.uk and .com websites.

Would they be able to make me change my business name further down the line?
    How do I stand legally?
    Are there any other considerations to running an online store with a similar name?
    Are there any examples?

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: Farida101 Member since: Feb 8, 2018
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

Save yourself a lot of potential hassle and chose a different name. Even if they don't complain you will always be competing in searches for the business name.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. alex360

alex360 UKBF Regular Full Member

Hi agree with fisicx you will competing in the search result and it will confuse customer also you may spend money in advertisements that will benefits them (that can work to your advantage)

Posted: Feb 9, 2018 By: alex360 Member since: Nov 14, 2017