General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Signing Shop Contract But Planning Office Want To Charge Money To Provide Advice

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Arehman99, Jul 30, 2020 at 8:01 PM.

1. Arehman99

Arehman99 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

28 2
    Hi

Hope you are all well. I was previously in the process of signing a shop contract (lease/rent) but the deal fell through. I have since found a new unit in a different town to my previous shop I found and want to take out a lease.

My business will be a dessert parlour and I previously spoke to the planning officer to check if the shop had the relevant use class and was fit for the purpose I require it for and he said ‘yes’. Because the business contains a combination of cold and hot food (waffles, cookie dough, etc) I am unsure of the use class and want to be on the safe side.

The new shop is in a new town and I understand each council and planning department is different so I contacted my local planning department with the same question to see if the shop is fit for the purpose I require it for before I sign any contracts. They have told me they don’t have a planning duty officer and have referred me to some website pages which are no good and don’t answer my question.

They have also said I can submit a pre-advice application where I fill an application and provide plans and pay £135 for the advice I seek. They have said it can take upto 8 weeks for a response and I can’t see the estate agent holding onto this shop for this long.
    Any advice on how I overcome this? I don’t want to sign the contract and later get in trouble and equally don’t want to lose the shop. Thanks

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:01 PM By: Arehman99 Member since: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

23,486 2,835
    Don't set your heart on one property.
    May well remain for rent for 8 weeks plus.

However there may be better places / cheaper places coming up as other businesses go under in next few months anyway.
    So if the property you like doesn't remain available its not the end of the world.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:06 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Arehman99

28 2
    Thank you for your time and reply.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:15 PM By: Arehman99 Member since: Jun 20, 2020
  4. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,552 1,296
    Has the landlord agreed to the use you're applying for?

If so, speak to the agent and suggest signing on condition the change of use is granted.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:42 PM By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  5. Arehman99

28 2
    Hi,

thank you for your time. The shop currently has the use class I believe is what I require (A1) but I just want to be on the safe side and double check with the local council before I start spending money. I might make an offer to the landlord (subject to approval) and then pay the local council for the information/advice I require. If they come back and give approval I may proceed with the shop lease otherwise pull out.
    Thanks

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:51 PM By: Arehman99 Member since: Jun 20, 2020