Employment & HR Brought to you by HRZone

Sick day / days off for minors in family business.

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Gallwey01, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Gallwey01

Gallwey01 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I’m 16 years of age and working behind the counter in my parents deli. This morning I woke up feeling ill to the point where I’ve been crying in pain. I live with my parents, so went and asked directly for a day off. They then refused, saying that I was fine last night, and “even if (I) was ill” that there would be no one to cover my shift. (The business is incredibly small, fewer than 10 people.)

I can only find bits of information for some of the questions I have separately.

Can your boss refuse time off if they think you’re well enough to work?
    Can your boss refuse time off if they can’t find someone else to work your shift?
    Does any of this change if your boss happens to be your mum?

Sorry that it’s such a tangled mess of questions, but I’m really at a loss for what to do or say about the situation.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 By: Gallwey01 Member since: Jan 28, 2018
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

10,165 2,617
    If you are not fit to work you tell your boss that you are not fit to work and will not be there. As you are not asking for a day off it cannot be rfused.

However, if your boss thinks you are taking the mick, not ill, want a day off because of a hangover due to the nght before, or just that you are ill too often, they can sack you for it (unless you have worked for them for 2 years, in which case they have to take their time over sacking you for it).

All rules are out the window if the boss is your mum, that is true whether you still live at home or not.

Hope you feel better soon.

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,477 601
    Wouldn't it have been wise to visit the doctor if the pain was so severe, rather than just having a day off work?

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

10,165 2,617
    On a Sunday? Are you seriously suggesting that an employee needs to be ill enough to need to see a doctor the same day, before they are too ill to go to work?

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

10,088 1,057
    If ill enough to see a doctor then go see a doctor.
    Lots of towns and cities have a walk in centre to take some of the strain off the GP services. Usual wait in my experience is 3 hours but severe pain is severe pain, 3 hours wait one day is better than A&E or waiting up to a month for a GP appointment.

If simply too ill to work but not so ill as to need a doctor then as you say tell your boss. From what the OP posted its bad pain.
    Hence a doctor is the best person to see anyway.

Posted: Jan 30, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,477 601
    I'm saying if the stomach pain causes tears you should seek medical advice. Pretty obvious I would have thought.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009