Should I put my current "unrelated" employment on my C.V.

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Onlyme123, May 4, 2021.

1. kulture

kulture Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

8,352 2,353
    Include it. Make it a positive. Either to show your willingness to work regardless, or to say that you observed customer interaction with the graphic displays and product designs.

Posted: May 5, 2021 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend

12,404 2,605
    Explain why the work dried up as a freelancer, which should be easy and mention you have been forced to work at supermarket to make ends meet

I am sure that most will understand that marketing has gone through a very tough period over the last couple of years and your 20 years experience is what should be judged on

Most people would prefer honest staff

Posted: May 5, 2021 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Legend

991 349
    Definitely list it, I can only see it as a positive personally.

You needed some extra income to support you whilst you were freelance? That’s perfectly fine. They are employing you for your graphic design skills and not your business skills. If it was that easy, everyone would be a freelance designer and there would be no need for any employed ones.

If it comes up in an interview, use it to your advantage - you saw a problem - your incomings were lower than your outgoings and you did what you had to do to fix it. You can then apply this to a situation which is relevant to that company - a colleague is off sick a week before a project is due to be finished, so you step up to the plate, offer to do overtime and make sure the project is finished on time. You let nothing get in your way.

As others have pointed out, CV-19 has meant that many took up jobs they wouldn’t normally, so you could go down this route if you want to, although I guess the start date may have been prior to Covid.

It’s also easy to get caught out when telling lies - I imagine this company is local to your supermarket - how likely is it that one or more of their employees shop their that might recognise you. You may be introduced on day 1 to the office administrator, who goes - “I know you from Tesco!” and then you’ve got a lot more explaining to do.

One final thing - if a company really saw you working part time in a supermarket as a reason not to employ you, it’s probably not a company you’d want to be working for anyway. So consider it a bullet dodged.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    To some employers, the CV is the application.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017