Should I Keep My Mold Tooling In China

Discussion in 'International Business' started by sallyhandbags, Apr 7, 2021.

1. sallyhandbags

sallyhandbags UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 2
    Hi All

I have 2 molds in China that are kept at a mold factory but under the care of my Chinese agent

Recently my agent and the molding company seem to be getting friendly and discussing prices when there is no orders in place , mostly to tell me the price of plastic and steel have risen sharply

I have the feeling that they're starting to work together and I'm really feeling un easy about their relationship

I have the opportunity to get my molds out of there which I have paid 60k usd for

My agent also seems to be having agreements with the forwarder also and inflating prices ( a cargo forwarder in the UK recently contacted me to say the fees I'm being charged are ridiculous and the things that are being added to the invoice on the China side are nonsense )

Would you recommend to get out of there or am I being paranoid, I have lost molds there in the past and don't want it to happen again

Is there any way to protect the molds in China so I can stop the worrying its driving me insane

Thanks Sally

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 By: sallyhandbags Member since: May 25, 2016
  2. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,276 880
    I would suggest swapping agents ASAP to begin with, you could talk to MyOffice in China, a member in this forum of long-standing.

http://www.myofficeinchina.com/

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  3. sallyhandbags

sallyhandbags UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 2
    Thanks I will be in contact

The thing that is worrying me about the agent I pay in China is that they are telling me to do everything through a forwarder in China and not go for FOB

When I pay the forwarder its to a different company to what shows on the B/L for the export

Something just dont seem correct

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: sallyhandbags Member since: May 25, 2016
  4. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

11,075 4,743
    On a point of order, 'Mold' is a village in Flintshire. I think you mean mould.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  5. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,276 880
    Once trust is lost, it rarely comes back. I would trust your instincts. Talk to MOIC and other agents if you feel it necessary, get different quotes, but bear in mind the “whole package”.

Some agents will promise things, others will deliver on their promises. With the values you are talking about a good agent should pay for themselves many times over. I have never used MOIC personally, but he seems to have happy clients.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  6. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    As has been mentioned by others, I would strongly recommend swapping agent, and looking a your options for forwarders.

You need to be able to trust both, and they need to understand your working.

FYI, I work for a UK forwarder, with partners worldwide including China, HOWEVER, my suggestion would be to contact 2 or 3 forwarders, ask for rates, and then go with the one which you feel offers the best service.

Prices at the moment for all types of freight are sky high (Sea freight is nearly 5 x normal, just as an example), with lots promising rates which they don't actually have any space or equipment to book.

I would definitely stick with terms FOB, it gives you flexibility and control of your cargo, and makes sure you know when cargo is moving, and how.

Hope that helps.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  7. simon field

simon field UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,443 2,031
    Second point of order - speaking as a moulder - ‘mould’ is an often rancid, unsightly unwanted (unless you’re into cheese) substance caused by damp.

I think you mean mouldtool. :p

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  8. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,401 909
    I recommend Cillit Bang to remove your mould.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  9. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

85 8
    CNF is usually cheaper than FOB as other un-related parties would add in some extra costs. However, if the trust has lost, it is better to move out as soon as possible.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020
  10. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

200 34
    As others have said if you have lost trust in the mould factory seek to get your moulds returned or moved to a safe place. It is a problem we have come across in the past. Ordinarily often he best way is to go to China and physically sort it but of course that inset possible at the moment. We do have staff on the ground in China and will be happy to help you retrieve the moulds securely if that helps.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  11. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Free Member

5,658 1,343
    $60K for 2 mould tools seems very excessive.

Ideally they should stay with the factory you are using where the mould is being used, as generally they are heavy to be moved about freely. Some mould tools we use need a crane (no, not that sort of crane) to be moved, so not practical to keep moving from one location to another.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Posted: Apr 14, 2021 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  12. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Free Member

374 81
    What's your order volume? If it's big enough, it's worth to cut new moulds at a new factory which offers better prices and/or better quality. After running for a while, you may want to upgrade your products or add some new features? It's a good chance to start with a new supply chain.

Moving moulds to another factory is not recommended unless you have to. Shipping cost is very high if you need to move them to a distance.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  13. Paul Kelly ICHYB

Paul Kelly ICHYB UKBF Legend { Moderator }

5,946 858
    The first thing to do is find another factory that can make your goods using the current tools.

You could do this yourself or via another agent.

Posted: Apr 26, 2021 By: Paul Kelly ICHYB Member since: Jan 21, 2008