Setting up Kitchen & Bathroom business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by bloorino, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloorino

bloorino UKBF Newcomer

64 4
    Hi Nick,

Sorry i haven't been on here for a while (too busy). Well yes i quit my job and started my kitchen/bathroom/bedroom design and installation business.

Next April will be the end of my 3rd year, and on the whole i have enjoyed every minute although it can get very stressful at times.

I could waffle on all day about all the ups and downs but i dont want to bore you.

My main advice would be keep on top of your cash flow, i really struggled in the beginning as i was getting kitchen jobs £15k to £20k and was barely able to pay for all the materials. The last job paid for the next job, luckily now i have a £9500 over draft which is a great help.

You've got to look at it long term and although i've been busy the whole time still have a good chunk of debt i acquired when starting up.

Hopefully opening my first showroom in March/April.

Good luck Nick

Posted: Dec 17, 2012 By: bloorino Member since: May 20, 2009
  2. super chip

super chip UKBF Newcomer

35 9
    Its not easy

If i was you, i would get a website(with pictures of your work), go around the local sheds (howdens, magnet, avanti ) advertise a fitting service if possible, get known for what you do best ,as people do talk ,if your good , at what you do. join tradesman sites, build a good profile . Nice clean van with images of work.

I think with kitchens and bathrooms , there is a decent market, with people willing to pay a few grand for a kitchen. The people paying 7.5k upwards wont be looking on the net , (but they will look at your website)they prefer to walk in to a quaint showroom and get shovelled s***t by a slimeball .

I think you will find it hard at the start ,so its best to do as much of your own work , and do a bit of contract work ,get yourself a good reputation , and slowly drop off the contract work .

This will take time

you wont just be a salesman, you will now have 3 jobs

The fitter ,the salesman, bookeeper ,

long hours , lots of customers messing you around,

You have got to keep your own ship a float ;)

Posted: Dec 18, 2012 By: super chip Member since: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Dohanick

Dohanick UKBF Newcomer

5 0
    Thanks for the update.
    A bit of back ground- I had my own construction company but this was closed down by a very bad payer and I have worked in Qatar for the last 4.5 years but I really want to come home now.
    I guess it is difficult to gauge how things will be but the area I`m looking at is East Yorks.
    I would hope to have some cash as a float of around 20k plus rent etc and I can do some brickwork and plastering(My trade) to generate cash if I need to.
    I am thinking of renting a small industrial unit as storage and showroom.

Really difficult decision as my job here is secure and I earn a very decent salary but I am unhappy here and I really do think I could make a go of it.

Posted: Dec 19, 2012 By: Dohanick Member since: Nov 3, 2012
  4. PDRD

PDRD UKBF Enthusiast

455 75
    Dohanick, go for it. No point in staying in a job you do not like just for the money.

Find a job you like and you will never have to do a days work again. :)

Posted: Dec 21, 2012 By: PDRD Member since: Sep 13, 2012
  5. Croftsideplumbing

Croftsideplumbing UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    I agree with above. Kitchen and bathrooms can be very profitable and there is always demand for them it's just marketing correctly, high end bathrooms and kitchens from my experience are much more difficult to acquire than the cheap suites from places like tc bathrooms

Posted: Dec 27, 2012 By: Croftsideplumbing Member since: Dec 27, 2012
  6. bloorino

bloorino UKBF Newcomer

64 4
    i agree, i was in exactly the same position had a good job but didn't enjoy it.

Although i'm miles off where i want to be i wouldn't change it.

Posted: Jan 2, 2013 By: bloorino Member since: May 20, 2009
  7. MorrisChesterfield

MorrisChesterfield UKBF Enthusiast

823 77
    Hi,

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it might be useful to you,

We offer house clearance service and I am looking at working along side installation companies like yours and many others.

Would it help your company with a team like mine going in first and taking the old kitchen/bathroom out and disposing of it? There would be no skips or anything. So basically you walk in with a empty shell to start work on.

Sorry again for hijacking your thread.

Ben

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 By: MorrisChesterfield Member since: Oct 26, 2008
  8. core365

core365 UKBF Newcomer

37 1
    We produce marketing literature and advertisemnts for a local bedroom manufacturer in Coventry.

Even though their market is upper end we have found adverts in the local directory mags and newspaper advertising is a good mix. However newspapers can really cut into budgets.
    I think flyers also work but need to do at least 4 times a year.

My advice would be - get a good designed brand image and logo.
    Get your vehicle/s branded.
    Get flyers designed and printed - 10000 A5 flyers can cost as little as £170.
    Distribution of them around £25/£30 per 1000.
    Make sure to put an offer on them.

Get an advert produced at 2 sizes to use in local directory mags and newspapers.Again put an offer them , maybe limit it time wise.

Get a professional website to refer to in all your marketing.
    Make sure to list your website in Googlke places.

This is what will work for you.
    Best of luck.

Posted: Jan 5, 2013 By: core365 Member since: Sep 29, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. FarrellMackennon

FarrellMackennon UKBF Newcomer

14 0
    Team work is one of the most important aspects when setting up a business, particularly something like kitchen design and installation as there are a number of professionals involved and it has to be carefully coordinated if the job is to run smoothly for the client. Keep a close eye on everyone, monitor the schedule and always check the work and the job yourself if it is your name on the door. Good Luck!

Posted: Feb 26, 2014 By: FarrellMackennon Member since: Jan 21, 2014
  10. MD ABC

MD ABC UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    I bought a small kitchen company that had traded for 30 years that turned about £200k PA with the view of expanding. Within 18 months we had got that to £1.2m but the overheads have become unmanageable. To scale up requires a massive investment. Keep it small and simple for years and grow it organically through recommends is my advice. Good luck.

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 By: MD ABC Member since: Dec 24, 2014
  11. MD ABC

MD ABC UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    VAT IS A KILLER!! I pay vat so if my Electricion, plasterer, plumber, fitter, gas guy, tiler, painter etc charge me £4k I have to charge my customer £4.8k without making a penny. I'm then competing with all the one man bands who don't pay vat and that's before I make a drop of profit and I've got to organise everything!!

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 By: MD ABC Member since: Dec 24, 2014
  12. tony84

tony84 UKBF Legend

6,015 1,139
    Ive seen one of your shops in Bramhall ABC, im sure I have seen another somewhere else but for the life of me I cant think where.

Posted: Dec 24, 2014 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  13. MD ABC

MD ABC UKBF Newcomer

3 0
    New mills. I have a factory there too.

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 By: MD ABC Member since: Dec 24, 2014
  14. tony84

tony84 UKBF Legend

6,015 1,139
    That must be it. I dont get out that way much so probably ties in with why I couldnt remember.

Posted: Jan 3, 2015 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.