Setting up an internet business

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by jumpingstan, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jumpingstan

jumpingstan UKBF Newcomer

62 0
    Hi Guys

I really need some help

I have an idea for an online business and I have a plan for the business.

I need to set up a website but this is where i need help.

How do I set up a website?? I have bought a domain name but I dont really understand what this is and what I have to do next?

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: jumpingstan Member since: Aug 7, 2009
  2. nickpp

nickpp UKBF Contributor

236 11
    we can help if you are thinking about using ecommerce, drop me a pm if you want to have a chat

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: nickpp Member since: Aug 11, 2008
  3. MH-Nick

MH-Nick UKBF Contributor

118 22
    It depends really on budget. If you can afford a designer, I know there are a few on this forum (and will probably post here where they see it) that would definately help your web presence. If you can't though, we provide free website builder with our hosting.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: MH-Nick Member since: May 28, 2009
  4. JamesCartwright

JamesCartwright UKBF Ace

670 102
    Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: JamesCartwright Member since: Jun 1, 2009
  5. ORDERED WEB

ORDERED WEB UKBF Legend

1,645 393
    Hopefully your plan includes paying a website designer / developer. Call us, this is what we do, and it wil be a pleasure to give you a no-obligation quotation, and get you on the right tracks

Richard King
    0115 845 8953

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: ORDERED WEB Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  6. Tommo

Tommo UKBF Enthusiast

542 91
    If your just looking for free advice or pointers, feel free to PM me.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: Tommo Member since: Jul 15, 2009
  7. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

35,085 10,708
    Stan,

Don't worry about the website, there's loads of work to do before you consider either emplying a designer or a bit of DIY.

forsdt thintg you need to do is a bit of planning. Decide what you want the site to achieve and how you are going to get there. Identify your prospective custoners, how you are going to attract their attention and how to convert them from being a visitor in to a customer.

you then need to get writing, produce all the content that is going onto the site. Select your images and captions. Organise the content and sort out the navigation. Make sure every page is properly titles and has sensible headers. Think about your call to action and the payment processes (if required).

None of this has anything to do with the actual site build but is vital if you want the site to work properly and make you money. Leaping straight in with a funky layout and no real plan is doomed to failure.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend

5,249 598
    ^ Good advice. :)

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  9. jumpingstan

62 0
    Thanks for the advice so far guys,

Well i have a plan of action and will now get it all down on paper and plan very carefully the site content and layout etc.

I think the site could also be used as advertising space for other companies in the industry, does anyone have any advice on how to try and sell advertising space, e.g. what to offer companies and how to approach them?

I have contacted a designer to get a quote and it is going to be quite expensive if i want to do it properly. I think its pretty important i make it look as proffesional as possible and therefore need funding to be able to pay a designer and also market the site.

I spoke to the Princes trust today and I can't qualify for that because im studying a part time masters does anyone know other kinds of funding available to young people starting up a business? Are bank loans the best route?? As obviously i'm very wary of getting into debt in the current economic climate and I dont have much money to invest myself

Any more help would be hugely appreciated!!

10. jumpingstan

62 0
    Hi I'm new to this forum, I'm not quite sure how to send a pm. But I would definately like some free advice, I need all the help i can get

11. liams7

liams7 UKBF Ace

826 114
    If you work with an agency they will help you with this. To be honest any good webdesigner will.

An Agency will have an in house copywriter, They will have people to help plan the sitemap and they will also be able to help with the whole site.

How can anyone who hasnt set up a site before know what good headings and a sitemap should be?

It depends what you are looking for. And what the business is. If the business relys heavily on the web then you really need to talk about it with some one who knows what they are doing.

We work with all our clients on how the business will run and how the web will work with them. Most people dont even have a business plan.

It maybe good to talk to some one about the idea and see if it is viable before going any further.

If you want to talk to us about the idea then please feel free [email protected]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: liams7 Member since: Feb 21, 2008
  12. Khalid Bin Walid

Khalid Bin Walid Banned

43 1
    The main question you have to ask yourslef after lookign at the posiitves, negatives, advantages 7 disadvantages is it really worth it.

You should be able to get help easily but dont share your ideas business, money making ideas) with others.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: Khalid Bin Walid Member since: Aug 7, 2009
  13. Khalid Bin Walid

Khalid Bin Walid Banned

43 1
    I clicked post without checking for spelling errors

The main question you have to ask yourself after looking at the positives, negatives, advantages & disadvantages is it really worth it?

You should be able to get help easily but dont share your ideas business, money making ideas) with others.

I opened up a site for making money, starting a career, it was a good idea, but I tried to do things too fast and ther were few other problems. I tried to do it all alone I think thats why it failed

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: Khalid Bin Walid Member since: Aug 7, 2009
  14. liams7

liams7 UKBF Ace

826 114
    I would say if its a new idea never done before just get a privacy document written up and also most people wont steal your idea if they are running there own business already.

But is a valid point if its a new business.

Sorry to hear that, It is hard and can be very lonely if you are on your own.

I think networking can make this easier.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 By: liams7 Member since: Feb 21, 2008
  15. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend

12,403 2,605
    First of all go to your nearest W H Smiths or simular and get a book on starting up in business. or failing that go to your bank and ask for their starter pack for businesses, they will give you some basic software and probably a good book for free.

Read the book and then produce a business plan using realistic numbers and expectations ( remember sales are very hard to get when you start)

See if there is any competition in your area of business and get as much info as you can on these exsisting companies. company records are only a few pounds each and can give a lot of info or very little depending on the company's size. all research done now is nearly free and will save you a fortune in the future

If you have done your research well you will now know what your website is going to sell, whome your suppliers will be, what sort of sellin price you can achieve etc

Now look at the web site software and find one that suits you and if you need a designer or not ( I suggest you start up yourself inputting all the data etc for the first four months to see how you go and build up experience in where you need to go next. then possibly involve a designer with whom you can give a detailed list of what you require and what he can achieve or also advise)

If you make up a plan you are half way there if you dont you stand a far bigger chance of going bust in the first few years

Never spend your cash untill you have to, Cashflow is the biggest killer of companies

Good luck

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Posted: Aug 8, 2009 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  16. websitedesign

websitedesign UKBF Contributor

87 11
    If you have the time then start off planning and learning everything that's involved....

-Market research (customer profiling, competition, objectives, goals, SWOT, etc)

-Design (purchase Adobe Photoshop and learn web/graphic design... smashingmagazine.com, sitepoint, etc)

-Programming (CMS, hosting, html, css, php, etc)

-Internet Marketing/SEO (Can get ideas on many of the forums but will take a very long time to get an ok grasp of it all)

Majority of people on their first website projects make lots of mistakes and learn lots from the experience... would suggest starting on maybe another small idea to get into the learning curve.

----

If you have the money then hire someone else to build your dream and consult you on the way....

Could always try outsourcing it to India on getafreelancer.com, guru.com, ifreelance.com, etc but you get what you pay for and quality is usually very poor

Or hire an experienced company that produces quality work....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
    Posted: Aug 8, 2009 By: websitedesign Member since: Aug 8, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. jumpingstan

62 0
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys its really helping me! I am starting to put together a detailed plan for the business and the website!

I have one major issue and that is finance, I have just graduated university so have student debt and I currently have no money. I know the easiest thing to do is get a bank loan to set up the business but i don't know whether the risk will pay off and I am dreading the thought of yet more debt. Does anyone have any advice on getting investment, grants, sponsors???

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 By: jumpingstan Member since: Aug 7, 2009
  18. Peter Bowen

Peter Bowen UKBF Legend

851 230
    I find this attitude prevalent and somewhat surprising.

In small business unique is bad. Incremental improvement on something people are already spending their money on is far more likely to be successful than developing the product and the market from scratch.

Ideas are a 'dime a dozen' - it's the implementation that counts. I've lost track of the number of times I've spoken with aspiring zillionaire's who have this fantastic idea that they want to hide until it's fully developed and then launch it untried into the world and reap their fortunes.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 By: Peter Bowen Member since: Jul 2, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. garyscottadamson

garyscottadamson UKBF Contributor

150 15
    take a look at rocoru (dot) com, we're a professional design company who have designed both e-commerce and basic sites before

pm me and we can have a chat.

Our sites start from £99.99, this includes 8 pages and is professionally designed.

Thanks
    Gary

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 By: garyscottadamson Member since: Aug 8, 2009
  20. jumpingstan

62 0
    My posts dont seem to be appearing so im sending this one as a test

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 By: jumpingstan Member since: Aug 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.