Server Location SEO

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by NEF, Oct 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEF

NEF UKBF Newcomer

206 9
    I have a dedicated server located in the US but I'am a UK business, question being even though my domains are UK domains, will this affect my SEO or results on google.

Also if I have other sites on the same server, totally different IP addresses and domains but they have a link to products on my store, will this negatively impact my search results as it seems this way recently... Should I just get a UK host for my store?

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 By: NEF Member since: Jan 14, 2008
  2. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    Biggest problem is latency of the connection which effects the speed of your site and indirectly your seo.

You could utilize a content delivery network but,in many cases, your dynamic content will still be fetched from the origin so you won't gain much - unless you opt for a premium solution where all your content is cached dynamically?

It will be easier and cheaper to move it all to the UK though.

I would be careful about linking to your own sites but that is just my opinion and I'm not going to claim any authority on this :)

Posted: Oct 13, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  3. WoottonSEO

WoottonSEO UKBF Newcomer

18 5
    Server IP Location does have an impact on SEO. Consider this - If you were Google; would you find it suspicious to see a website targetting the US but the server is hosted in North Korea (for example). Replace North Korea (with random country) and the same concept applies.

Move your hosting to your target country - If looks more reputable and you'll get faster loading times for local visitors as well (which also affects SEO).

Also, in regards to the interlinking; generally avoid it; The same IP address for interlinking sites; is one of the tell tale signs of an Private Blog Network (PBN) - A tactic which Google frowns upon.

You can interlink your sites if you really must (after all it's an asset you control and you can capitalise upon), but if you do you have to ensure you don't leave any footprints.

Make sure you use a solely one way links (no reciprocal links), mixed anchors, host off various IP addresses and registrant details, as well as using different platforms and/or themes.

Posted: Oct 14, 2017 By: WoottonSEO Member since: Jun 17, 2017
  4. AccountOnThis

AccountOnThis Full Member

30 4
    If latency is an issue, uou can use a CDN to speed up your site, then you wouldn't need to move your servers to the UK. But it may just be easier to move it to a UK provider.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 By: AccountOnThis Member since: Nov 29, 2017
  5. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    it’s a dedicated server. CDN is pointless.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. msharron

msharron UKBF Enthusiast

332 66
    Having a dedicated server in the US if you are UK based is a mistake.
    Do yourself a favour and move to a UK or even EU data center.
    If you want the best speed money can buy for a fraction of the cost, go with a cloud host e.g. Digital Ocean. The SSD makes a hell of a difference.

Posted: Dec 2, 2017 By: msharron Member since: Feb 28, 2014
  7. justinaldridge

justinaldridge Full Member

669 254
    Hmmm, I feel there is some misinformation in the comments here and also the question has not been properly answered.

If you have a UK domain and your server is in the US, this will NOT impact your rankings. As long as your server is quick enough there shouldn't be any issues.

I can say this with 100% certainty.

In terms of this...

How many sites are you talking about? If it's 4 or 5 sites then that's normally fine. If you're talking double figures then yes, possible concern depending on what you are doing with and how you are linking them together.

It worries me when you say that the sites have different IPs on the same server as that's generally not normal practice and could be a red flag.

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  8. msharron

msharron UKBF Enthusiast

332 66
    @justinaldridge I diagree on your first point.

Hosting a site in the US adds between 1-2 seconds to load time on the east coast if your target audience is in the UK.

I typically notice a ranking improvement if I can get the site speed under 1.5 seconds.

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 By: msharron Member since: Feb 28, 2014
  9. justinaldridge

justinaldridge Full Member

669 254
    We'll just have to agree to disagree :)

Posted: Dec 7, 2017 By: justinaldridge Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  10. Simon.P

Simon.P Full Member

543 60
    One of the keywords i am chasing for my UK domain; the top three UK competitors serps are hosted as follows:
    1. U.S
    2. U.S
    3. Netherlands

Looking through the wordfence logs i have only ever seen IP's resolving to the US from "Mountain View, United States " for Google so wondered if they only crawl from the one geographic

Posted: Dec 9, 2017 By: Simon.P Member since: Dec 4, 2009
  11. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    I track my keywords closely (Serplabs UK search ) and recently I decided to move some of my sites mainly as I wanted PHP7 and didn't want to do an inserver upgrade (too much risk), they were on VPS located in Belgium, but took the opportunity to move them to a London server.

The server is faster and running PHP 7 so the sites are faster.

Ranking increase? No

In fact some have suffered a daily average drop in ranking by 1 or 2 places, although the last day or so seemed to have bounced back.

Posted: Dec 9, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  12. ukbf0001

ukbf0001 Guest

0 0
    IP address has an affect on your rankings (but very little in my opinion) - you would be better off working on your site load speed - which is a very important factor - so much so - Google gives you a way of checking it

Posted: Dec 11, 2017 By: ukbf0001 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  13. Highland Spring

Highland Spring Full Member

155 12
    If its Google you are targetting, then you can set your Geo Targetting in the Search Console, also Google uses the geo-location of your backlinks to help determine your rankings in each market, I ran a leading UK site in my niche for many years, moving it from USA from UK and back again as the US$ vs £ exchange rate made one location cheaper or the other, it made very little difference as my links and targetting were set as mentioned above.

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.