SEO

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by LeasingEval, Jun 10, 2019.

1. LeasingEval

LeasingEval UKBF Regular Free Member

194 15
    I am really struggling with SEO for my small business.

Feel like I am in a bit of a catch 22 situation - it doesn't generate enough income due to low web traffic so I don't have any money to spend on an SEO consultant.

I have a software background, but I have to say that SEO totally eludes me - there seems to be a collection of unwritten rules that need to be observed.

Stumped genuinely.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 By: LeasingEval Member since: Aug 20, 2008
  2. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

2,999 1,068
    It all depends on what industry you are in. Some are simple to DIY with no budget at all, and some are a challenge even with a very large budget.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  3. LeasingEval

194 15
    It's a relatively niche market compared to some, so I would have though it should be in the simple to DIY category, but it doesn't seem to be!

I am totally confused by trusted backlinks etc - mine is a small business selling a service - why on earth would a trusted source link to me? It would be like the guardian newspaper linking to my local corner shop!

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 By: LeasingEval Member since: Aug 20, 2008
  4. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

386 80
    You need to be more specific.
    What is your business and who are your target customers? That would be a start.

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  5. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,526 966
    Do not worry about backlinks at the minute.

Have a look at your website. Do your pages have a lot of text on there (say 600 words plus per page)? Does that text contain your key words/phrases once or twice per hundred words?

Is your website made to be responsive? (ie works on mobile phones), you can check online google responsive site check or something like that.

Do you have your address and phone number on your site?

It is very difficult with so little information as you could have a site made from dreamweaver and be bloated with crap code or you could have an amazing website but with only 20 words and 4 pages.

I have someone do my site and to be honest, I reckon if you paid him for a days work, he would probably have your site performing infinitely better than it is now and at least then if nothing else, you have the basic foundation for you to build on. But with no budget and no information we are all working in the dark.

I assume you do not want to post your link/site? Could you do a shorturl so we have something to work off that will then not be shown in google?

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,591 8,983
    Posted: Jun 10, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,029 1,475
    Just about every small business owner who has no SEO budget and no background in online marketing is struggling with winning the war of Google rankings.

You need the revenue to pay for the success, but you need the success to generate the revenue to pay for itself. Familiar ground really.

Try a pay on performance marketer - there's a few around here. See if they'll consult and only charge you if you get the results.

If/when that doesn't work, then it's time to get an education.

Go sign up for the course at Fresh Bananas. Work through it - apply each lesson to your site - do the steps required and see how far you get.

There's a lot of folks who've gone through that and then had great success after trying it.

Note: You don't need massive backlinks to compete as a local business for many search terms. In fact, even national businesses can compete without much linking. The name of the game is content! A couple of thousand words on each of your key pages, with a dose of optimisation may be enough to get your revenue picked up a fair bit.

Keep in mind that backlinks can cost you a shedload of time/effort in speculating/writing/chasing/revising, or simply buying the link. Links can cost several hundred GBP each. Content on the other hand can be had for something like £70 for a 2000 word page. 3-5 pages on site and you've invested £210 to £350 pounds for content that you can keep forever, unlike links which come and go.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  8. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

2,785 950
    Pretty simple to make an offer to your existing customer base to generate some extra sales to raise some money.
    Your offer doesn't have to be your own product/service. Do a profit share with another non competing business that has something on offer that your clients might want.
    Or find a non competing business and offer your product/service to their customer base on a profit sharing basis.
    Use extra cash to pay for SEO or other form of marketing.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  9. LeasingEval

194 15
    This is the site

https://bit.ly/2Wq0AYZ

I don't have huge amounts of text because I think I would struggle to write 100 words on the topic. The pictures speak for themselves!

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: LeasingEval Member since: Aug 20, 2008
  10. fisicx

30,591 8,983
    Except they don't speak to Google. There are so many things wrong with that site. And all of them could be easily fixed and have you ranking in days not weeks.

Join UKBF as a full member and get a website review.

I'm not the best copywriter but I could easily write a 100 words on each page (of which you have pitifully few).

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. LeasingEval

194 15
    Hmm - ok - thanks for the feedback.
    Any ideas on how much it would cost to get this site ranking a bit better?

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: LeasingEval Member since: Aug 20, 2008
  12. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,526 966
    The pictures speak for themselves for people on your site.
    You can not be lazy with SEO.

So you could have posts on
    Wedding markee (I have spelt it wrong on purpose) in City.
    Christening markee in city
    Work conference markee in city.

You get the idea.

You need to be writing 500 words minimum but aim for 700 and include some photos. Try writing 500 works on a mortgages and make it sound exciting. You have something that is tangible and exciting and can make an event.

Your site is nice, the photos are good.
    You need to work on the content.

I am useless with content but I have to do it as I am too tight to pay someone to do it.

Try and come up with 10 examples of what is can be used for. Do not just change Wedding for Christening, write every article from scratch.

Then maybe get some examples of past customers, if you did an event for a wedding, link it to the wedding post. If you did a corportate event, link it to the corporate post.

On my site we post 2 articles a week and have done more or less every week for 10-11 months. I do not really have enough examples for you to post 100 times a year or half of that, but hopefully I have given you some ideas to get to maybe 20. You can come up with other ideas, but being completely blunt - you need to invest in the wording on your site and not rely on photos.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. fisicx

30,591 8,983
    Option 1: Become a full UKBF member, get a review and make the changes yourself
    Option 2: Do the fresh bananas course
    Option 3: Pay someone to help you fix the site - could be anything from £50 to £500 depending on how much help you need.

But, the site is dead easy to fix. You could probably get all the basics sorted in a couple of days.

14. webgeek

4,029 1,475
    The only problem with #1 is that you'll get 27 different answers about what needs done, some good advice, many not. It's always been the way here - knowing who to believe is half the battle.

But yes, Google doesn't speak images. When it comes to ranking for search phrases, you need optimised text on the page. The average #1 ranking term has 2000-2200 words on a page in most sectors. As the search volumes get local or less competitive, that number goes down.

However, if it was my site, I'd want 1000+ words on that page, 2000 if my income depended on it.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  15. fisicx

30,591 8,983
    Indeed, but we can both see the obvious things that need to get fixed. I doubt there will be much argument over the main changes.

16. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

386 80
    What Tony said. But I think you need a bit of help with someone writing for you and maybe doing a bit of research, find someone you can build a rapport with, get your heads together and you're halfway there.

Avoid the trap of '15 things you didn't know about marques' and such nonsense though.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  17. webgeek

4,029 1,475
    Yeah, you and I would agree on most things. I can't say that about everyone that chimes in though.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  18. tonylfc

tonylfc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hello

First post here - I found the forums by looking for info about chasing invoices, and thought I'd try and help out here. Hopefully can give you a few pointers. Not pitching for work by any means, but what I will say is don't do it on the cheap, and don't just trust someone who promises page 1 rankings/tries to sell you a load of poor quality links.

SEO is really a mix of how your site runs technically, content on your site, links to your site, and time (both to implement, and waiting for Google/search engines to rank your content)

Firstly - search for 'Moz learn seo' (can't post link as I'm a new member), the first result is a beginner's guide to SEO and the things you need to take into consideration.

With regards to your site:
    • Build out your pages for each marquee/event type (as you've done on the homepage for kids parties etc. - currently they don't link to anywhere), but make sure there's content on there describing what you do, how many people they can hold etc. Look at what other companies are doing in major cities (search for 'marquee hire in London' for example and see what information they have on their pages)
    • Ensure your page titles, headings, subheadings etc. contain your target keywords "Marquee hire in XYZ", "Marquee hire for children's parties", "Marquee hire in ____"
    • Make sure each location page has unique content on there - if you've done particular events in that area before, then put these on there. If not, and you've nothing else to say other than "marquee hire in [insert small town name]" - I'd maybe look at creating one page showing areas you cover, and redirect these into it
    • Create an 'about us' page that says who you are/what you do/how many years you've been in business
    • Run through the Yoast seo plugin wizard again, make sure you've got everything set up correctly - no XML sitemap enabled currently.
    • Set up with Google search console if you haven't already
    • Get more information on your Google My Business listing, and more pictures
    As mentioned above, I wouldn't worry about links for now - instead focus on getting your content better first.

If you're not sure on these things, as outlined above it's maybe worth hiring someone to do it for you - either look locally (ask for recommendations on Facebook etc.) or on the likes of peopleperhour/upwork

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 By: tonylfc Member since: Jun 12, 2019
  19. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Trust is the first key metric

Some examples
    - SSL cert
    - Google my business verified listing
    - Google reviews
    - Social signals

Then there is user experience

Some examples
    - Server response tme
    - website speed
    - responsive or not

Then there is your link profile

Some examples
    - Do you have any links from other sites
    - Are these sites relevant
    - are these sites trustworthy
    - What is the anchor text
    - Are you on many directorys

Then there is content:
    - Is it original
    - Is it relevant
    - Do not listen to people telling you to put loads of text on a page, you need to balance this with the user experience as if there is too much text it will scare the user away or not hold their attention. The way people use your site is also a big factor and a high bounce rate will devastate your ranking. If people only view one or two pages of say 7 or 8 total pages on your website and leave within a minute Google will, probably correctly, assume you are not offering much of a user experience and are not so relevant to the search term entered. They will demote your site in he rankings as a result.

Just take a common sense approach, you can do most of it yourself. Choose your backlinks wisely and go for mostly brand name anchor text

Beware of SEO firms, most just talk shite and outsource everything to India and get you links that disappear after a few months.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 By: SomethingWitty Member since: Jun 18, 2019
  20. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,429 2,109
    Once again links comes up, perhaps someone can explain why links are important now , i agree when i started in 2003 they were important, but that stopped about 2010, maybe before that

outward links, take those highly expensive to find viewers away from your site, probably never to return

If you have a look at analytics you will see the vast amount of solid data Google has from your site, which is not fake, but first class data, so why should they base any importance to links, which as everyone now knows are manufactured to fool google (are google really that dumb)

As google suggests make your site for your customers first of all, with the help of the google guides which are free

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003