SEO HELP i am looking at ways to get my online shop noticed away from Facebook.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by rosieholly, Sep 13, 2019.

1. rosieholly

rosieholly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    Hi i have managed to gain 2500 engaging followers on Facebook but i am having problems getting my webshop off the ground outside of social media. I dont have premises so have no local area to advertise and am on google but only if you search the business name. I sort of understand metatags and have these in place. Any suggestions to get noticed and gain customers away from social media welcomed

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: rosieholly Member since: Nov 9, 2017
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,776 9,028
    Engaging doing what? Are all these 2500 potential customers? Do you sell on Facebook or just your website? What are you doing on your FB page to tell people about the website?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. rosieholly

17 1
    Thanks for replying. I have a facebook page which i use to post daily blogs conversation starters etc where people reply and comment. I have had 2 unfollows total and the followers are growing in healthy numbers. I dont sell on facebook but i promote my website from my page. I also give people the option to subscribe to a monthly enewsletter which has a decent audiance. But i dont want a facebook business. I would like to grow outside of facebook. I hope i have answered your question

4. fisicx

30,776 9,028
    Great. How many of your 2500 followers have visited your website? And how many have completed a purchase?

5. rosieholly

17 1
    Thanks again for your reply i started a sale per month this has grown to 1 per week hence my problem. I am not sure where these sales come from unless i run a facebook promo code to capture it. I have has positive reviews left on Facebook so some have come from there.

6. fisicx

30,776 9,028
    Your site analytics will tell you the source of your visitors.

It's very unlikely you will get many sales from your facebook followers. This puts their monetary value at close to zero. People who follow on facebook tend not to be people to buy things from external websites. If you sell on Facebook you can do well but you need many many more followers to make it worthwhile. My wife follows a facebook page for a type of china and maybe buys one piece per month. They have nearly 1million followers. Facebook adverts can be very lucrative but getting these to work well needs some skill and it needs to be something people want to buy. My Little Pony will generally do better than baked beans.

Which brings us back to your website. What are you selling? Who are you targeting? What is your marketing strategy?

7. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,749 715
    Do you have Google Analytics (or similar) on your site? This should allow you to track where your customers are coming from.

If it shows that Facebook is a successful platform, have you considered branching out to Instagram and Twitter?

If you are struggling to appear on the organic search results, have you considered listings on Google Shopping?

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  8. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,549 978
    You may need to spend some money to notice a difference which I know is hard in the early days but speculate to accumulate as they say...

@Lee Oakley does the SEO on our site and the hits on our site have doubled in the 12 months or so since he started. It took about 3-4 months to notice an improvement but since then it has gone up more or less every month since, as have the enquiries we receive.

He started by fixing some basic issues we had on the site and then found gaps in the market we could go after. You sound like you are prepared to do some of the work yourself which is great but I think if you are relying solely on facebook/twitter you are probably going to always struggle.

You could try amazon/ebay and put in some business cards in hope to direct those people to you in the longer term but you probably need to be looking at the bigger picture, which is scary when the smaller picture is not even paying the bills. As the saying goes, keep doing what you always do and you will keep getting what you always get - or whatever it is.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  9. rosieholly

17 1
    Hi again i sell metaphysical goods my target customer is new age wiccan pagan people into crystals tarot etc these are the metatags i have used

10. rosieholly

17 1
    Yes facebook is working i have linked this to Instagram. I have some traffic from google but not enough to generate healthy sales. Catch 22 is to pay for google ads once revenue is coming in but need the revenue first

11. rosieholly

17 1
    Thought about using a SEO expert. I use ebay and heavily use my logo here to get it seen again and again. I also point each ad to my website from ebay

12. fisicx

30,776 9,028
    So lets go back to your 2500 followers. If you are getting 1 sale per week then it means most of those followers are of no value at all. If you closed down your FB page and focused on ebay and your website with some paid adverts you could easily increase the number of sales. Your analytics are the key to everything. They will tell you the source, what your visitors did and if the brought anything. What sort of bounce rate do you have? If it's above 20% it means you need to fix the site.

eBay buyers will not be visiting your website. They use eBay because they prefer this to other ways of buying. So promoting your logo/website on ebay isn't really helping. What does help is adding a 10% discount voucher to every order if they buy from your website.

13. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,195 1,804
    So where, besides facebook, can your customers be found? Can you advertise there?
    Do you use any paid ad campaigns?
    Marketing a website can take time and money - lots of customers may be found on the third party sites such as amazon, ebay, etsy etc but of course will have fees charged to sellers and they will be customers of those sites, not customers of your site.
    Depends if you want sales or customers.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,549 978
    I dont necessarily agree that if they shop on ebay, they wont shop on your site.
    You just need to give people a reason to come direct, that may be a discount or something. A lot will depend on how many times your customers are likely to come back.

Have you got your items on google shopping?
    Do you do any marketing to existing customers? (assuming you have their permission to do so following GDPR).
    Have you tried altering prices? Increase them and offer bigger discounts maybe?
    Are you getting hits on your site? If so, we just need to convert more of them.
    If not then you need to look at increasing them.

I used to do SEO many years ago but a lot has changed since then. I took a lot from what Lee told me and ran with it. Having some direction from him (or someone similar) can help. You could be writing posts, but if they are going to be on page 2 of google, it may as well be 92. We have discussions on the type of business we want, he then goes off and comes back with suggestions.

Sometimes I go off and do my own thing, but there is a lot more organisation and we are more targeted now, so the results are better.

Posted: Sep 13, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  15. rosieholly

17 1
    I have had repeat customers and i have a subscribe to my enewsletter page which has a good subscriber list. I send out a monthly newsletter consisting of information and new items in stock. I promote a discount code within this letter and it does generate sales. I use mailchimp and can see i have had 2 unsubscribes and 60% open click rate.

16. rosieholly

17 1
    I use paid ad on facebook linked to instagram and this has brought me customers but minimal. I have thought of using google ads etc but thought i might have an issue with my meta tags. For instance i sell tarot cards so i use this meta tag but unless i type enchantingwillow into google i wont hit top 1000 page i bet. Im doing something wrong or just missing something big. This is my hobby job but i plan for it to generate a liveable income

17. fisicx

30,776 9,028
    Ranking doesn't have anything to do with meta tags. Nor do google ads.

Your problem is wix. If you want a successful website don't use wix. Google doesn't like wix and people landing on your site from facebook or instagram won't like it either.

Wix is the spawn of the devil. And not in a wiccan way.

18. rosieholly

17 1
    Oh blimey really?? Any suggestions ?

19. fisicx

30,776 9,028
    Plenty of alternatives. Shopify is popular but has a monthly cost. Wordpress with Woocommerce is free - you just need to pay for hosting.

20. rosieholly

17 1
    Just checked my analytics and 36% of traffic is direct 61% is from Facebook. Will i have to have the site built again or can i (excuse the naivety) pick it up and drop it to another site building package? Do any businesses work with Wix?