SEO and backlinks

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Jeny055, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    <responds to removed post>

I think because
    Code:
    <html lang="en-US">
    probably because your WP install was prior to the version that easily let you select install languages.

As far as I understand its not important unless you have multi regional sites with such as
    Code:
    <link rel="alternate" href="http://example.com" hreflang="en-us" />
    Which comes into its own when you have say two domains .co.uk & .com .co.uk targeting UK and .com the US with primarily the same content ( except for instance local contact numbers ). Then correct language specification & hreflang tags help Google place the right sites & also reduces the duplicate content issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2017
    Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  2. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    I've been taking excellent advice from @Tin and followed his https://www.freshbananas.co.uk/ course. If you did the same you would discover that, done properly, onsite SEO is all you need.

It's how I got one of my money pages to the top spot. There may be inbound links from external sites but they aren't anything I've done.

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck?

5,234 1,160
    I admit to knowing next to nothing about SEO, relative to the experts who have contributed here. Some of the contributions that have been made might be perfectly valid, but the tone in which they are written and some of the content would totally put me off having anything to do with that person/company.

Can you tell me please, if in the future I was to search in Google for information about the contributors (to this thread) companies, would comments in this thread potentially then appear?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. WoottonSEO

WoottonSEO UKBF Newcomer

18 5
    <responds to removed post>

Nope.... Sorry but you're incorrect. Google "Relative or Absolute URLs? - Whiteboard Friday" on Moz. You'll find more information about it there.

Unless of course you think Moz are talking absolute tosh as well. Which quite frankly I think is unlikely to be the case.

Yes, they would appear.

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: WoottonSEO Member since: Jun 17, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

11,053 2,254
    Is that the WBF where the most thumbed up comment contradicted the conclusion and Ruth later commented " I hope everyone in the Moz community knows that with this blog, the original poster often learns as much from the comment thread as readers do." ?

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,245 2,413
    Sometimes they do, yes. And part of this article is nonsense.

I had a look at their page and, it doesn't really say there's an SEO benefit to absolute over relative. What she is saying is that relative may create dupes issue if you don't know what you're doing. So if you've done your links properly and have no dupes then she makes no case for preferring absolute.

Then she spouts some nonsense about relative links helping scrapers. That is absolute TOSH. I've run big scraping operations so I know a bit about this. Making all your links absolute would have done jack squat to protect your site from my bots (or to make scraping more difficult)!

The other point she makes is about some hypothetical "crawl budget" but she doesn't make a connection between crawl budget and the benefit of absolute links in this regard.

So, sorry, the one point of mine you picked to contest ... still holds.

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  7. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,245 2,413
    Thanks. I hadn't read the comments but just went back and scrolled quickly through them.

Some of the highest thumbs up were for these:
    and
    And it appears some comments ridiculing the author were removed by Rand who posted in her defence. So I'm not the only one who thinks the article is pants.

<edited>

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  8. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    Moz has been wrong on a number of occasions. I remember when they made a big song and dance about link sculpting and wowed everybody. A few months down the line it was shown to be complete tosh (I like that word).

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend

6,892 1,921
    BTW that why I have never offered SEO services. It's full of BS and I have no desire to operate in that world.

Posted: Jun 18, 2017 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  10. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,245 2,413
    @Alan, I know some people who are sh*t hot SEOs. They don't go by what Matt or Moz say - they run their own huge operations to test what is and isn't working.

<edited>

But top SEOs like the people I know don't generally offer SEO services for hire. They SEO their own properties and make a ton more money doing that.

The world has no shortage of SEOs who've read a few blogs, had a few small successes with their own site (on relatively easy keyword + city name type searches), and figure they're the dog's danglies.

I don't envy small business owners who need to find the right SEO service.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  11. robert4u

robert4u UKBF Newcomer

7 0
    Never ever buy backlinks they are always bad links and can cause your website to move up for short time and after that there is big chances of being blacklisted of domain name.

You can get backlinks through these ways:
    - Web 2.0 Blogs
    - Blog Commenting
    - Paid Articles
    - Guest Bloggin

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 By: robert4u Member since: Jun 11, 2017
  12. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Business Member

35,311 10,772
    You can do this. But it's pointless if you are doing so to improve your ranking.

Posted: Jun 21, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  13. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,245 2,413
    Is that your opinion or something you've read somewhere?

This is the internet, don't believe everything you read ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend

5,245 2,413
    Ah! I found it.

A friend of mine wrote this guide to buying links many years ago. The article is almost a decade old but still a great read - there are dumb ways to buy links ... and there are smart ways to buy links!

For all the Cuttlets who come to this thread in the future: Put aside your blind allegiance to the FUD from the Gorg and boldly go where the average webmaster fears to tread.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. WoottonSEO

WoottonSEO UKBF Newcomer

18 5
    Well, you'll be wrong then, Clinton.

Relatively easy keywords - chuckles to myself. You have no idea what kind of keywords I've ranked - but I'd say top 5 for "web hosting" - is no small feat. Not too mention the countless other rankings I've acquired for my clients.

Sorry, whilst I laugh, but what else is a better judge than a SEO's abilities than their capability to rank against other SEO's on the keywords that matter most to their industry. I'd say the competition for "SEO Manchester" is pretty damn high - given that Manchester is pretty much the UK's 2nd city - and also the hub of pretty much every reputable SEO and digital marketing company outside of London (few exceptions aside).

It seems like you reckon that every SEO company is Manchester is rubbish - because that's what your statement implies.

<edit>

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 By: WoottonSEO Member since: Jun 17, 2017
  16. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Legend

3,660 716
    Back in the day I got to no.1 on Google for searches on aromatherapy, aromatherapy oils, essential oils, oil burners (and numerous product-specific pages), fixed price seo, martial arts, martial arts clothing, martial arts footwear (and numerous product-specific pages), cross stitch, cross stitch kits (and numerous product-specific pages), fashion shop, top of page 2 for designer clothing (the no.1 ranked designerclothing.com domain went for £50k at the time)... and I know **** all about SERPS :rolleyes:

I think you're all great, and UKBF needs different opinions rather than churlish insults... I know, Cobby and others might be raising an eyebrow about now.

Posted: Jun 22, 2017 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  17. Fabialaars

Fabialaars UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    Every one suggest lot of experience about seo some answer are very useful so i suggest you firstly you do properly on page after doing on page you can build some authority links from google guidance. Your website have rank three months in top of google. I have more then 6 year experience in this field. so i suggest you that i realize about seo.

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 By: Fabialaars Member since: Jun 23, 2017
  18. Jeny055

Jeny055 UKBF Newcomer

33 4
    Thank you for your answer.

Posted: Jun 26, 2017 By: Jeny055 Member since: May 23, 2017
  19. Jeny055

Jeny055 UKBF Newcomer

33 4
    Thank you very much. In fact, a very strong answer (useful information, I mean).

20. Jeny055

Jeny055 UKBF Newcomer

33 4
    Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.