Sending To Europe After Brexit

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Freakzilla, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Freakzilla

Freakzilla UKBF Contributor Free Member

41 2
    Hi Guys,

I'm really confused. 40% of my business is selling to Germany. I post my items via Royal Mail. They are either Large letter or small parcel size. I sell on ebay and Amazon. The value is between £6 - £20 I've tried reading everywhere what I have to do after 1st January, and I still can't work it out. I have an Eori number. Some places say I ned customs forms, some don't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: Freakzilla Member since: Jun 28, 2015
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,991 3,446
    Do customs forms.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,998 4,710
    @Freakzilla - I am looking very hard at the viability of setting up an import-export agency with an office in Germany as we already have a company structure there and I feel that there may be a role for us to enable cheap and effectively smooth movements of goods and money. Everything depends on whether there is a deal or not and what shape that deal might take if any and that is in the hands of Johnson and Co.

As these are not very bright people*, anything could happen. Or as we say in German "Gegen Dummheit kämpfen die Götter vergebens." (Against stupidity the gods themselves do battle in vain.)

Someone on this forum described current government guidelines as being like a rabbit warren dug by blind rabbits - tunnels linking to other tunnels and all leading nowhere. A good and accurate description.

A friend of mine with an airfreight business phoned up some government office on exactly this subject early-on and he was told that there was a company in his area that could help him. The girl there gave him his own telephone number! That is the level of competence we are dealing with here!

*That's putting it kindly.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

3,247 1,063
    It is, sadly, true that we still do not know exactly what the rules will be in just 14 days time.

But it is reasonable to assume that some customs documentation will be required, and the information on the governments website does indicate what will be needed in the event of a no deal.

So...get a stock of forms. The main unknowns, I guess, are whether postage will increase, and whether the receiving country will impose tariffs on your stuff.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  5. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    If your value is below £20 then there may be a chance that it's below the threshold and you don't need to submit customs forms, but that's entirely based on what kind of deal if any is agreed. I would definitely plan to do the forms as that's the only way you can be sure you'll be ok.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  6. Rob-Ed

Rob-Ed UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 1
    I think the 'negligable for VAT' figure is £15, the forum won't let me post a link but if you search for something like 'HMRC Changes to VAT treatment of overseas goods sold to customers from 1 January 2021' you should find something useful.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: Rob-Ed Member since: Apr 28, 2009
  7. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,924 306
    If sending by post you stick a CN22 or CN23 on the package, just as you would if currently sending outside the EU.

That's for imports into the UK. The OP is exporting.

The EU will introduce a single EU wide VAT collection system next year and abolish the VAT free threshold so anything sent by post will incur VAT.

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  8. Rob-Ed

33 1
    Apologies, I've read a lot of rubbish in the last couple of weeks, clearly I've started writing it too!

Posted: Dec 17, 2020 By: Rob-Ed Member since: Apr 28, 2009
  9. Freakzilla

41 2
    I'm still very confused by this, as is my post master.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 By: Freakzilla Member since: Jun 28, 2015
  10. Rob-Ed

33 1
    My latest understanding, based on the 'deal', is that we now have to include CN22 or CN23 certificates for ALL EU destinations (only applied to Portugal up to now), but that customers will not have to pay import duty/tariffs. How VAT will work is still a bit of a mystery.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 By: Rob-Ed Member since: Apr 28, 2009
  11. JRatron

JRatron UKBF Contributor Free Member

96 9
    as far as I can work out, for EU orders less than £135, you must charge them VAT at point of sale and there will be a way of putting this on your next vat return.
    I would imagine you need customs forms regardless of this for all EU countries

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 By: JRatron Member since: Jan 30, 2006
  12. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,755 1,283
    probably a good reason to do postage on-line. I'm expecting all the usual routes to simple add the customs questions to the system and whatever is needed will print out with the post paid labels - or at least I hope so. The customs forms at the moment for non-EU countries are quite simple - contents, cost, destination etc - but just a form if you do it at the post office counter and annoy people. an extra label we can all cope with, surely?

Incidentally, yesterday at the post office people were filling in customs declarations for France I noted, as the system has already started.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  13. DontAsk

1,924 306
    Most postmsters will give you a supply of the forms if you ask nicely. We got a whole reel of the older, now defunct, ones.

Note there are now two types of CN22 and CN23. One has a tracking barcode and is to be used when you do not pay for a tracked service. The other has no barcode and is to be used when you pay for a tracked service that has it's own barcode.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  14. Mr D

27,991 3,446
    Plenty of post offices started requiring the cn22 forms before Christmas.
    Or the relevant data written on the front of the parcel.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  15. Mr D

27,991 3,446
    So what are we supposed to use when sending non tracked and the label has the barcode on it? :)

16. DontAsk

1,924 306
    My helpful post mistress always checks and will stop me getting it wrong.

I suggest you get a stock of both and use the correct labels :)

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  17. Mr D

27,991 3,446
    I use the pre printed labels and the most recent set of CN22s royal mail supplied at the start of the month.
    The pre printed labels presumably have the barcode linking to the customs data entered on screen.

My postmaster never sees our post. Its in sacks that go in the royal mail van along with the dozens of other sacks.

18. Freakzilla

41 2
    I either add stamps to my items or get the post office to add a label. I fill in the cn22 form. How does the barcode from that then link it to anything?

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: Freakzilla Member since: Jun 28, 2015
  19. Mr D

27,991 3,446
    Who gives you the barcode?

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  20. Freakzilla

41 2
    They are on the Cn22 form which I get from the post office, How do they actually link to anything? How would they know if everything was marked as a gift with £5 value?

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 By: Freakzilla Member since: Jun 28, 2015