selling Advertising space on my van!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by holly, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holly

holly UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi anyone, :) I'm a self employed gardener in Liverpool, i go all over the city every day and i live by the footy ground so my van is always parked there on match days. I've just got a nice new (newer!) transit, which is smart and tidy. I Wish to sell ad space on my vehicle, i've searched the net for info on prices etc without any luck. It still seems a fairly unused medium in the uk unlike the USA!
    Does anyone have any advice, experience on the subject. Or does anyone want my adspace of course!
    many thanks
    kind regards

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 By: holly Member since: Jan 7, 2008
  2. PrivateInvestigator

PrivateInvestigator UKBF Newcomer Free Member

279 9
    Try this website out http://www.getpaidtodriver.com they have a directory of Uk companies who will pay you some cash.

Or you could just contact local complimentary businesses by letter offering them the option??

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 By: PrivateInvestigator Member since: Oct 12, 2006
  3. holly

7 0
    ive tried those kinds of sites before and had no response. yes i could approach companies personally, just wanted an idea of prices first so i didnt undercharge! ;)

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 By: holly Member since: Jan 7, 2008
  4. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,349 2,080
    "GET PAID TO DRIVE... ONCE YOU PAY US FIRST"

How classy.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  5. Xteach

Xteach UKBF Newcomer Free Member

393 32
    Being Liverpool (my home town) it might be better to advertise on the wheels, that way when they get stolen the advertiser will still get his moneys worth

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 By: Xteach Member since: Jan 5, 2008
  6. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,246 120
    Im totally confused to why you would ask such a question

why dont you advertise your own biz, as it will help to pay for the van & put money in your pocket

also - just to be careful of -
    a friend agreed to a firm putting an ad on his van and and found it was causing it to get broken into a few time a year

an ad on a car or van does reduce the vehicle being stolen as its easier to spot

I would be interested to know how much you would take to allow a firm to put an ad on your van

G

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  7. GreatSEO

GreatSEO UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,571 371
    I would suppose it depend on the size of the adverts and what your selling points would be.

I would guess i would be happy to pay around £50 a month for half of one side as an example

Hope this helps

Regards

Dave

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 By: GreatSEO Member since: Mar 20, 2006
  8. stevesimo

stevesimo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

35 2
    In Blackpool the council have decided to promote local businesses on the rear end of mini busses. I belive they charge around £300 per month for the privelage.

Not sure if this helps?

Me personally I am gonna spend 2008 doing my own advertising over the internet for free. There are too many ineffective forms of advertising out there that simply arent worth the money. The internet has lots of free marketing opportunities on it. The only cost is the time to set it up.

Hope this helps

steve (blackpool) :)

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 By: stevesimo Member since: Dec 28, 2007
  9. dingbat

dingbat UKBF Newcomer Free Member

993 138
    As already said - you're better off advertising your own business.

If you want to advertise for others then you'll have to go and directly sell that space yourself, which won't be easy.

Any go-between companies out there will either be scammers, only interested in fleets or very unsual vehicles.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 By: dingbat Member since: Nov 28, 2006
  10. bci

bci UKBF Newcomer Free Member

146 5
    You should get something like this installed on the side, back and roof of your van - to rotate your ads.
    http://www.adsinmotion.co.uk/

Example at the bottom of the home page.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 By: bci Member since: Jun 14, 2004
  11. Boris

Boris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

194 22

surely you would be better off advertising your own business or am i missing something?

good luck anyway

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 By: Boris Member since: Nov 19, 2007
  12. holly

7 0
    yes i will, but i can seperate it up and get more than 1 advert on it.
    I have done some research and come up with a price plan if anyone is interested please contact me directly by email.
    thanks for all your replies.

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 By: holly Member since: Jan 7, 2008
  13. outsidethebox

outsidethebox UKBF Newcomer Free Member

45 2
    I have looked into this before. The cost of putting a decent vinyl wrap on your vehicle would be considerable. It cost a couple of grand to do an average car. Vinyl lettering justr doesnt cut it in this day and age. The problem is you need them to commit to a long period to make it worth doing. Do you charge them the set up costs up front and the charge for the space. Do you spread the set up costs over 12/24 months?

Also your insurance will be affected which you need to take into account.

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 By: outsidethebox Member since: Oct 1, 2007
  14. gibby

gibby UKBF Ace Free Member

1,246 120
    we have in the past got a 3 colour advert on a car that looked great for £300 - £400

I understand you can spend a fortune with a screen wrap but unless your a mega big co with lots of funds its not needed

we find simple easy to read ads work great
    what you do with contact details

quote often smartly designed lettering will do the trick

Ive never had a problem with insurance firms
    One told me they preferred vehicles to have signs on them as it deters the idiots from nicking them - as they are easy to spot

Ive had full biz insurance on all my cars for the last 7 years & Ive informed the insurance firms everytime of the advert & its never altered the price

the only downside with an advert is that they dont let you into some tips/waste management sites unless you pay them a few quid

G

Posted: Jan 15, 2008 By: gibby Member since: Sep 11, 2007
  15. Antony

Antony UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    You should definitely have a look at this:

YourAdvertOnMyVan.com

It's free to register your vehicle, unlike the above examples.

Earn extra money every month by displaying adverts of your choice on your van!!

Antony

Posted: May 1, 2008 By: Antony Member since: May 1, 2008
  16. wevet

wevet UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,100 213
    Use the space yourself it will make far more than anyone will pay you.

Get it well designed to provide real IMPACT. Wrapping the whole vehicle with a high picture of a garden with your name would cost you the equivalent of around £500 a year. £500 a year does not buy you much advertising elsewhere. Consider having a card dispenser, with an invitation to people to take a card, attached to the passenger door when it is parked up

Posted: May 1, 2008 By: wevet Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  17. gingerdad

gingerdad UKBF Regular Free Member

317 37
    we sell the back of our vans, the wrap costs about 250 quid, and sell for 2500. for two years.

GD

Posted: May 1, 2008 By: gingerdad Member since: Jun 28, 2006
  18. alfieshooter

alfieshooter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Cheers Antony for the heads up with YourAdvertOnMyVan.com !

Looks pretty decent.

Graham.

Posted: May 2, 2008 By: alfieshooter Member since: May 2, 2008
  19. torby

torby UKBF Regular Free Member

154 12
    Looks good, but typically, the Americans have gone one step further...the principle is the same but instead of a "roller" advert, they have gone with rear projection screens and have an LCD projector showing moving /video adverts...now thats what I would call eyecatching!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2VIaRuV-oDc&feature=related

I think digital signage is the future (like garlic bread...lol) 3M have developed some fantastic highly reflective film for use on glass windows and you simply project your video onto it...how eyecatching is that.

Posted: May 2, 2008 By: torby Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  20. URBAN COLOUR

URBAN COLOUR UKBF Newcomer Free Member

325 32
    Hi Holly

Im from Liverpool also and from your message you tell us you live by one of the grounds and so may have a large volume of passing traffic

The people going to a match would not really (To my mind) take much notice of what the side of a van says

Why not make it stand out by placing an 8x4 sheet of ply against the side of the van, with a luminous poster on this

It should be attached well (easy to do) and the size is something you could easily slip into the van for use anywhere you are parked. (Perhaps outside an all day gardening job)

This may of course not suit you, but I just think that people are used to seeing advertising around, you need to stand out, without breaking the bank

Hope this helps

Posted: May 3, 2008 By: URBAN COLOUR Member since: May 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.