Sellers beware... Amazon.co.uk helps perpetuate fraud with their A-Z guarantee.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by zeone, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idontbuy

Idontbuy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

255 18
    Well thats awfull Zeone, i have seen some scams in my time and this one takes the biscuit, i would say its a proffesinal gang that will rent somewhere and hit as many people as possible before moving on.
    Have you tried to ring Amazon at all i should say you have but we had problems at Xmas and spoke to a chap and he got it resolved the next day, but this case is diffrent to ours.
    Hope you get this sorted and the people get caught.
    Take care
    Pete

Posted: May 29, 2009 By: Idontbuy Member since: Oct 28, 2008
  2. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 720
    The only way you will get anywhere with this is to turn it into a bigger public issue, perhaps through BBC's Watchdog.

I wouldn't be too critical of the Police, they are not resourced to fight cyber-crime with the exception of so-called bigger fish.

Posted: May 29, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  3. rd555

rd555 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 3
    you can't let them get away with this.

Amazon Business development
    0208 636 9252

Amazon Customer service (get them to call you for free)
    help - top right
    contact us - bottom right
    phone tab
    contact seller support - bottom link
    by phone tab
    call me

they call you - its free

definitely call watchdog

i cant post a url because of some stupid forum rule

watchdog(at)bbc.co.uk

====================

Send your story to Watchdog and it could feature in an upcoming programme.

If you have a story you'd like Watchdog to investigate, we'd love to hear from you. From the drop-down menu below, choose the subject heading your story best fits into (or select Miscellaneous if you're not sure), then fill out the form leaving details of your story.
    We may wish to contact you to discuss your story further, so please don't forget to fill out the form leaving your email address or contact phone number.
    If you have problems using the form below, you can email your story to

You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more. the email is on there site

Write to Watchdog

You can write to us, at Watchdog, MCG A6, Media Centre, Wood Lane, London W12 7TG.
    Text Watchdog

While the programme is live on air (between 7.30pm and 8pm on Mondays), you can text your comments and thoughts to us. Start your message with the letters WD and send it to 83199. Texts are charged at standard rates.
    Disclaimer

Any details provided here will not be passed outside the BBC or its agents and will only be used to contact you about your story or comment. Your details will be stored securely on our database which is only accessible for researchers working on Watchdog and other BBC Consumer Unit programmes. Because we receive so many emails, faxes, letters and phone calls, we're unable to respond personally to every one. However, all correspondence will be read by our research team and if we're able to pursue your complaint, a researcher from the Watchdog team will contact you.

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 By: rd555 Member since: Jun 16, 2009
  4. zeone

zeone UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 2
    Thank you rd555 - just gave the Amazon Business Development team a call & the lady I spoke to advised me to open a case via our account... Not sure how that's going to pan out, but she assured me that she'd be writing a follow up email to support.

We will approach Watchdog as a last resort, should the court route fail. I have no doubt that we will be able to prove our case to the judge, but we've been advised that getting our money back is another issue.

To our amazement, the "buyer" has submitted a defence to our claim via the courts. The sheer audacity of it astounds me. Myself and one of the staff members present on the day shall be going to court to put the case forward. The buyer refers to the "copy" of the receipt and we've requested that he bring the original receipt via the court. Hopefully that will highlight to the judge that the reason he is brandishing a copy, is because the original will prove that he is lying.

Thanks again for the info & support :)

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 By: zeone Member since: Oct 20, 2008
  5. rd555

3 3
    glad to be of service. :)

I still recon you should email watch dog. it would take 2 seconds. And companies sometimes quickly solve problems if watchdog run a feature.

could be a fast way of getting your money back.

Your initial description of what happened is concise, and i think people would be interested in a story like this. You are a trader, but you could have been Joe blogs selling his PlayStation because he's short of cash. £220 is a lot of money to get conned so blatantly out of.

Let me know how you get on.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 By: rd555 Member since: Jun 16, 2009
  6. zeone

20 2
    For anyone wanting to know the outcome of this case... On 11/09/09 - we took the buyer to small claims court and won - cost of PS3 & damages.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the thread for your advice and support :)

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 By: zeone Member since: Oct 20, 2008
  7. rd555

3 3
    RESULT !!! YAY!!!:):)

interesting that Amazon didn't help you. Or did they in the end?

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 By: rd555 Member since: Jun 16, 2009
  8. zeone

20 2
    Thanks, rd555 :)

No Amazon didn't help - they couldn't care less. Crippling small businesses that depend on them is what they do best. High volume sellers = competition to them. Once we highlighted the issue to them, they restricted our account and froze our funds. Which was expected - thankfully there was only about £100 in there.

Word of advice to anyone selling on Amazon - make sure they don't have too much of your money at any given period in time; they like to freeze it (it's an interest free loan to them!)

See this rant about Amazon.com from other sellers:

http://www.davepit.com/my-amazon-seller-central-rant/

9. justintime

justintime UKBF Regular Free Member

516 69
    Excellent news. Have you let Amazon know the outcome of the court case? Its one in the eye for them.

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 By: justintime Member since: Apr 12, 2009
  10. zeone

20 2
    Yes, I have - awaiting their response. Right now, tbh I just want my £100 back - then we can move on. I have nothing but expletives for Amazon - the way they treat their sellers is ridiculous!

11. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,285 243
    well done Zeone! glad to hear it. one for the small guys!

Did it cost you money to go through all the processes to get the money back (courts etc)

I take it your not going back on Amazon :D

Posted: Oct 5, 2009 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  12. zeone

20 2
    Gosh, yes. Money and time I'll never get back! The fee (about £50 if I remember correctly) is passed onto the defendant and the time you can make up in damages if you win. You just need to quantify it down to the last penny.

In hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered, but tbh I was a mixture of shocked/appauled/angry - and I wanted justice dammit!!

Even though I got it in the end, it's all so bitter-sweet because of Amazon.

:D:D:D

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 By: zeone Member since: Oct 20, 2008
  13. 8420PR

8420PR UKBF Regular Free Member

143 18
    Good to see it worked out in the end. Did you let Amazon know the result, and did they offer any comments?

If you put yourself in Amazon or ebay/paypal's position, I don't think there is much more they can do to stop these things happening. At the end of the day they are caught in the middle between buyer and seller, and with both saying different stories I can imagine it must be a nightmare.

Ultimately, they have a clear policy to protect their business which is to side with the buyer subject to certain reasonable conditions. This is not very far away from DSR laws, and makes sense as they belive they have to offer protection to buyers in order to get the business. Amazon have obviously asked themselves if they want the fraudsters to be buyers or sellers on their marketplace, and chosen the obvious answer.

Posted: Oct 6, 2009 By: 8420PR Member since: Aug 9, 2009
  14. apple team

apple team UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    we are a small business selling game consoles and cameras. We sell on Amazon and eBay, and have good feedbacks. Similar buyer frauds happened to us recently.

1) buyer A bought a camera with lenses from us. Weeks later he emailed us and claimed that he only received the lenses, and the camera body was missing.

2)buyer B bought a wii console(including game wii sports), one week later, he emailed and said that he only received the game not the console.

3) similar cases keeps coming

How are those possible? We have all the receipt clearly shown the weight when we posted the items. We have started to make claims with the delivery company. However, I personally do not believe the high rate of similar problems that encountered. buyers are really misuse the terms and conditions. And amazon does nothing to help the seller.

Really disappointed with amazon and some of the shameless buyers we encountered.:(

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 By: apple team Member since: Jan 5, 2010
  15. dingbat

dingbat UKBF Newcomer Free Member

993 138
    Well done for winning your case.

I would add that Watchdog are no use since they back the consumer and the business is always evil. And that's why the likes Amazon, Ebay etc will always err on the side of the consumer because disgruntled consumers make news. Businesses being ripped off by consumers don't.

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 By: dingbat Member since: Nov 28, 2006
  16. betty22

betty22 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    thanks for the information:)

Posted: Jun 13, 2010 By: betty22 Member since: Jun 13, 2010
  17. leolouis

leolouis Guest

0 0
    I was selling an item on Amazon as an individual, never even got the payment for it, even after 3 weeks, i contact them about they did not say much other than the cash is in their account, their staff are terrible as well.

Company's like this won't last if they continue to be like this, its stealing, Amazons bosses need to be fined or sentence in jail, for fraud.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
    Posted: Jun 18, 2010 By: leolouis Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  18. AndyP

AndyP UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

850 174
    Oh for goodness sake, don't be ridiculous!

Posted: Jun 18, 2010 By: AndyP Member since: Oct 11, 2008
  19. leolouis

leolouis Guest

0 0
    I am not being ridiculous I have been having problems with them, they are terrible their payments take too long.

Posted: Jun 18, 2010 By: leolouis Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  20. AndyP

AndyP UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

850 174
    If you are going to make statements such as this then at least give the FULL details of what has happened and not the edited highlights to suit your needs.

Amazon, for all it's faults, does not withhold funds without some reason and I suspect that they have a reason for withholding yours....but to suggest that Amazon managers should be prosecuted or even go to jail for something like this is plain silly.

Posted: Jun 18, 2010 By: AndyP Member since: Oct 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.