Self employed - permanent work place

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by kirstie27488, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirstie27488

kirstie27488 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

27 0
    Hi everyone,

Can someone lead me to the HMRC page where i can get some clarity on a 'permanent place of work'

I have a client that is a therapist and most of his work is at on place where he claims parking tickets and mileage, so i really need to find the up to date rules.

Thanks in advance

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 By: kirstie27488 Member since: Apr 6, 2010
  2. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
  3. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,426 3,561
    The link above is for employment expenses and so not fully relevant to the self employed

There have been a couple of tribunal cases on the issue recently, all won by the Revenue.

The first involved Doctor Samadian and his visits to two private hospitalts - llink here

The other I can't link to at the moment but was an air instructor claiming for travel expenses to two different airfields where he taught his students. He lost.

I think that you therapist client will be in the same position and get no deduction if HMRC check his return

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  4. john1989

john1989 Guest

0 0
    Posted: Jul 10, 2015 By: john1989 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,618 1,106
    Seems very unfair.

Would the outcome have been different if the air instructor had a shed in his garden to use as a home office, had a separate phone line and on some days drove between the 2 airports I wonder.

Posted: Jul 10, 2015 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  6. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,426 3,561
    Doesn't seem at all unfair to me. He can't really do any meaningful work at home other than a bit of papre shuffling, The reality is that the business is carried out at the airports and there's no tax relief for home to work for employees or self employed.

Lots of businesses have got away with making claims for what is essentially commuting but it seems that the sun might stop shining on that tittle haymaker.

Posted: Jul 11, 2015 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.