General Business Forum Brought to you by Square
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Self Employed Mortgage Advisor Vs Self Employed?!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Instagurrd, Jun 14, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

1. Instagurrd

Instagurrd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Hi guys,

I am in the process of completing my CeMAP 1,2 & 3 and I have been offered a job with a reputable Estate Agent, offering a high 20s starting salary + Commission (which is a great start for someone with no experience)

My Initial plan was to become self employed - better work life balance, school runs, work smarter & not harder.

I am In a dilemma as I really don't know what to do?! An employed route gives me the opportunity to learn on real cases, receive a guarantee income, experience, however I would be expected to work late & Saturdays, 'cold calling' as well as strenuous exams. Family time is important and my ability to do school runs would be limited.

Self employed, is clearly a riskier route with a limited support network, however, If I did 4-5 mortgages (finding the mortgages is always the hardest part) I could earn the same salary.

A part of me thinks.. do it for 6 months.. learn the ropes. If I enjoy it & can earn a good commission - great. If not, revert to self employed with some industry experience.

Any experience or guidance is welcomed..

Thanks

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:20 PM By: Instagurrd Member since: May 11, 2018
  2. consultant

consultant I Can Help Your Business Staff Member

5,284 736
    My advice is start employed with a good package.

When experienced and more confident, break away!

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:33 PM By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,395 773
    Self employed looks easy from the outside, time management is a hard discipline to learn for some.
    Being able to plan things easier is a bonus, digging into work time to spend time with family / school run can be harder.

Get some experience employed, not least a support network while you start out and build contacts.
    Self employment you may be able to choose your hours of work better and you may also be working a lot longer week.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:43 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Instagurrd

Instagurrd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0

Some good advice..

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 10:46 PM By: Instagurrd Member since: May 11, 2018
  5. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

1,404 270
    I have just moved from self employed to employed. I did not want to get into deep water through GDPR which is now the responsibility of my employer. The rules are what they are and now with opt in there is strictly no cold calling allowed... I think the advice above is sound, use the structure of employment, collect the experience. Self employment does allow for school runs, but while doing that you are not earning any money to pay the mortgage ;) p/l

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 8:14 AM By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  6. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,211 1,873
    One thing often overlooked is the negative side of selling, you have to be able to handle rejection in probably most cases; and be able to bounce back with the next potential customer

Working in sales within a team you have the support of others who live in the same selling world as you do, which many find a much better environment

What is the real value of the benefits of self employment to you over employment, maybe a list of both options would help you decide

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 8:43 AM By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  7. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,163 869
    Congratulations. Good to hear it went well.

I would do the job and get CAS. Once you have CAS the world is your oyster...more or less. You will get decent support and learn a lot - some of it will be good, some of it will feel like you are selling your soul but it will help you down the line - even if it is just to say, you will do something differently.

The first 12 months of this job is learning, every case is learning. You will soon see that very few people are "normal". Unlike the books, people have debts, kids, baggage etc. Even now (after nearly 5 years) a case will hit my desk occasionally and I will spend 5 minutes thinking WTF am I supposed to do with this. Then you go through your notes and call a few people and start to make some inroads, but until you have some experience you will struggle with those sorts of cases.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 9:06 AM By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008