Self Employed Income Support Scheme - REJECTED

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Vending Siting Services, May 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    Which accountancy body is she a member of?

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Posted: May 14, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  2. MBE2017

MBE2017 Contributor

2,478 990
    I helped a friend apply today, very simple, very straight forward, decision instant. Name, address, NI number, tax reference, bank account details. £3k on its way to them within six days.

In all honesty, I cannot imagine making the process any easier. Something to congratulate the Government on for a change.

Posted: May 14, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. paulears

paulears Contributor

4,946 1,355
    Mine went through smoothly - my wife was a bit surprised how low it was, but of course, my profits are low too. This is keeping my tax down so I've had the benefit of lower tax and NI for many years - I can't expect to get benefits when I've contributed less, so it seems fair. Lots of small businesses use the allowances to keep profits down, so all seems pretty fair for me.

On the topic problem, I don't understand how an accountant could have produced payslips, and deducted tax and NI for a person self-employed. Surely this is accountancy class week one stuff? It does of course mean that your accountants firm is probably large, and they know your name on paper, and that's why I moved from being a tiny business in a big firm to a small accountant who knows my voice on the phone.

Based on what you say, I suspect their PAYE department has you on the pay list and the accounts department have you as self-employed and they've messed up big time. With a large firm, they'll have the resources to sort this out.

What's the betting they've ot you being paid under the old Ltd company! It does mean they have NOT represented your interests very professionally.

Posted: May 14, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. Vending Siting Services

Vending Siting Services Contributor

2,152 553
    Don't know, I'll find out.

Posted: May 14, 2020 By: Vending Siting Services Member since: Jan 26, 2007
  5. Vending Siting Services

2,152 553
    Hello Paul

Good to hear that yours went through smoothly as it has done for many others I am sure.

I am beginning to realise that this is a massive cock up on my accountant's side. She is actually a small concern and works on her own offering accountancy services and has been around for many years and her reaction was not too dissimilar to mine which was total astonishment!! I have checked my returns etc and it appears she has put down my 'profits' as earned income and 'profits earned by self employment' as in the £100's which was the small profit I made for the last accounting year so now I understand why my claim was rejected. Doing all this research has helped and my original outburst to this thread was in reaction to my disbelief and shock and I am aware that I am not the only one. Finally, I agree, she has not represented my interests very professionally.

Kind regards,

Barbara

6. Vending Siting Services

2,152 553
    Good to hear, looks like their PAPERWORK was filled in correctly unlike mine.

7. rizbit

rizbit UKBF Newcomer

84 0
    if you are self employed isnt what you earn as profit your 'wages'.

Wages are what employed people get paid isnt it?

Posted: May 14, 2020 By: rizbit Member since: Mar 13, 2017
  8. Vending Siting Services

2,152 553
    Yes that's correct which is why this is an error.

9. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    Most firms will have it on their websites, many in their names: e.g. "Fred Bloggs Chartered Accountants" logos and signboards. Anyone who does not at least have it in the "about" section of their website and their letterheads looks dodgy to me.

Once you know what the professional body is you can go there are check that they are really qualified and licensed to practice.

Posted: May 14, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Newchodge

Newchodge Contributor

15,901 4,479
    You don't have to be qualified and licensed to practice as an accountant. You cannot claim to be a member of an accountancy body if you are not, but anyone and their dog can call themselves an accountant. It seems that not many people know that!

Posted: May 14, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  11. MBE2017

MBE2017 Contributor

2,478 990
    I recommended the woman who does my friends returns, she does mine as well. This year, being retired she did my books for £150 for the whole year, the same price to my friend. My accountant has been doing the same for myself for 30+ years, although she used to charge a bit more when she had her annual fees to pay.

Look around and find someone you trust, and get on with. Obviously something has gone badly wrong, but an accountant should know whether to treat you as self employed or an employee. Word of mouth recommendation is the best method of finding a good accountant IMO.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  12. obscure

obscure Contributor

3,372 879
    No... for the love of all that is sacred no!
    Fact: you are self employed. As such not legally eligible for Furlough.

It doesn't matter that your "accountant" has been grossly negligent and incorrectly filing paperwork with HMRC - that does not make you legally entitled to Furlough.

If you, as a self employed person, incorrectly (and knowingly) claim Furlough it is fraud and they can come after you.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  13. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    Yes, not only can they do so, but they often do. It seems quite common for bookkeepers and the like will call themselves an accountant.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  14. trax7960

trax7960 UKBF Regular

92 31
    CJRS needs an employer name and reference number, so it’s not really possible to claim unless you have an active PAYE scheme anyway.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: trax7960 Member since: Feb 19, 2019
  15. Newchodge

Newchodge Contributor

15,901 4,479
    It is highly possible that there are such references - the OP has an employee and if her own details were added as an employee, the record will be there. It is a bit of a mess and the OP really needs a proper accountant to sort it all out.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  16. alan1302

alan1302 Contributor

1,830 337
    But you said

'Once you know what the professional body is you can go there are check that they are really qualified and licensed to practice'

Now you say you know they don't need to be licenced??

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: alan1302 Member since: Jun 2, 2018
  17. paulears

paulears Contributor

4,946 1,355
    There's also a good chance you have paid far more tax and NI than you should have - also if they have paid your NI in as an employee, then your class 2 and 4 slef-emploed contribution account could be in trouble for the future? Go to the pensions website and check your contributions - could be good or bad news there.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  18. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member
    Contributor

2,222 562
    OK, I clearly need to clarify. Anyone can call themselves an accountant, but a professional body restricts which members can offer public practice.

If they are a member of a professional body, their professional body will require them (sole practitioners or principals, not employees) or to be licensed (have a "practising certificate") to engage in public practice, like this: https://www.icaew.com/technical/practice-resources/regulations-standards-guidance-and-ethics/practising-certificate

At which point they will appear on public registers of members in practice so their standing can be verified.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  19. Hunnie

Hunnie Contributor

150 39
    This might be nonsense but does your 'accountant' operate your business as if you are a director?
    They can pay themselves wages I think.

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: Hunnie Member since: Oct 19, 2011
  20. Newchodge

Newchodge Contributor

15,901 4,479
    A business can only have a director if it is a limited company. That is the problem here!

Posted: May 15, 2020 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.