self employed but not really

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by matt90bc, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt90bc

matt90bc UKBF Newcomer

53 4
    I went self employed a few years ago to train as a kitchen fitter but the guys I was working with fell out and I ended up doing crappy labouring jobs for a few builders.I have since floated about different building companies moving from one to the other when the work runs out. The last firm I was on that promised me they had all this work on laid me off just after christmas saying it would be only for a few weeks that turned into 2 months. I then left to work with another guy that said he hadnt had a day off this year and Ive had 2 days from him in 2 weeks.All my experience is building work but having come to the end of jobs all the time Ive got only know a bit if each trade so not enough of one particular to go on my own along with all the tools I'd need to buy.Do you think self employed jobs is just the future now? as all the jobs advertised are for self employed mostly through agencies.I cant believe how hard it is to just get a employed job that pays a reasonable amount. Ive pretty much had enough of building now but thats the only experience I've got. Do you as employers know of any affordable courses that I could go on that would give me a good career path? I'm open to suggestions!

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 By: matt90bc Member since: Oct 8, 2014
  2. ethical PR

ethical PR Contributor

7,472 1,640
    Matt you don't say how old you are, but if you are of an age to benefit from apprenticeships it sounds like you would be better working for a larger company as an apprentice and getting the training and qualifications you need, rather than working for small companies and sole traders who aren't able to offer you a sustainable income.

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  3. roydmoorian

roydmoorian Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

1,958 343
    If you have customers then are you really "self-employed" ?

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 By: roydmoorian Member since: Nov 6, 2009
  4. matt90bc

matt90bc UKBF Newcomer

53 4
    I'm 24 so will struggle to find apprenticeships as everyone is looking for school leavers who can be paid £100 a week and get free training

Posted: Mar 20, 2015 By: matt90bc Member since: Oct 8, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.