Secure Password Manager

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Bronco78th, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Bronco78th

Bronco78th UKBF Contributor Free Member

62 3
    HI All

I want to increase my overall password security after yet another hack attempt that got through the first wall.

Ideally I want to use generated passwords but if I do this I need somewhere to store them. Preferably on desktop and Mobile app on my phone.

Looking online there is a whole bunch of apps that do this -

https://www.techradar.com/news/free-password-manager

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-password-managers/

Last pass seems to be the Top Dog, just wondering if anyone had experience with any of these.

Kind Regards,
    John

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Bronco78th Member since: Sep 1, 2017
  2. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,035 261
    I use and would recommend 1Password - excellent software and service.

No experience with others to compare unfortunately.

You are definitely doing the right thing by using a password manager. Use two-factor authentication wherever possible too.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  3. nahosting

nahosting UKBF Regular Free Member

241 57
    Another vote for 1password, we use it. We tried Last pass but preferred 1 password.

We have used Keepass in the past which is free and can do most things using 3rd party tools.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: nahosting Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  4. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,839 2,617
    I use Keepassx, but have no need to use that db on a phone.

Never in a million years would I give sensitive information, eg clients' root passwords, to a third party service. The risk is unacceptable.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  5. TargetICT

TargetICT UKBF Contributor Free Member

63 11
    1 more vote for Keepass.

I won't trust any "cloud" with all my passwords

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: TargetICT Member since: Feb 26, 2018
  6. Bronco78th

62 3

Exactly this.....which is why I haven't bothered in the past with these types of PW Managers.

Ive always kept it simple with a rotation of 6 or 7 different passwords for everything. But now as 2 of them have been compromised in the last 3 weeks and only stopped by the 2nd step verification on 2 different sites, I need a different tact.

One thing in my favor is none of the passwords in question will be clients, all personal and for my two Businesses so if anything was to happen it would, at this point at least, only effect me personally.

Add to that the convenience of the cloud...and the constant progress on cloud security (which the hackers will be keeping up with for sure) it might be time just to take the liability and try it out.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Bronco78th Member since: Sep 1, 2017
  7. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,035 261
    Well, that's definitely much, much worse than having an encrypted database of unique passwords per website (for which only you know the key) synced via the internet!

If you're concerned about security have a read here:

https://support.1password.com/1password-security/

Obviously it's a bit different in more niche cases such as a server management company storing customer root passwords but in most cases, and certainly in the case of individuals storing personal passwords, a cloud syncing password manager from the likes of 1Password with unique random passwords for each website is going to be the best option. I believe 1Password also still supports only storing your database locally.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  8. Bronco78th

62 3
    Thought it was a good time to do my yearly reformat (clear out) of my computer last night and in the process registered with 1Password.

Looks good so far!

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: Bronco78th Member since: Sep 1, 2017
  9. jamieclick

jamieclick UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

696 77
    I love LastPass :)

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 By: jamieclick Member since: Oct 9, 2009
  10. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Regular Full Member

371 105
    Another satisfied user of LastPass here, but I haven't used the others.

As an aside, one imagines that the hacking community would benefit massively from breaking into one or more of the well-known Password Managers, so it will happen at some point.

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012