Second hand clothes on sale or return

Discussion in 'Retail' started by Christiane, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christiane

Christiane UKBF Ace Free Member

1,829 215
    Hi
    I'm sure there is a word for it but I have been approached by customers who want to sell their clothes (I sell ladies clothes, mostly vintage, second hand). I heard about shops taking in the clothes for a month or two and take a commission if it sells.
    Is anyone doing it? Is it worth it?
    My view is that, if I give it a go, it brings in new clothes that I will not be stuck with if they don't sell.
    What kind of commission would be norm for this?
    Thank you
    Chris

Posted: Oct 17, 2014 By: Christiane Member since: Dec 3, 2006
  2. k100danny

k100danny UKBF Regular Free Member

449 48
    I have heard of this more in the states than in the uk, this can be quite commonplace in some of their vintage stores, others also offer a sort of exchange service so people bring in their clothes and get cash or credit.

In my honest opinion, i work and own a vintage clothing wholesalers and retail company it isn't worth it. usually if someone is asking you to sell something they think it has worth, even taking 50% commision would be less than your margin if it was your own vintage stock. so is it worth having your rails filled with stock that you aren't making as much money on? if you have stock that is sat for a long time i would suggest changing your buying strategy.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 By: k100danny Member since: Oct 23, 2013
  3. Christiane

Christiane UKBF Ace Free Member

1,829 215
    Thanks, yes, I realised the margins would be less, hence is it really worth the hassle.... I've only just opened so need to see how things go first with the stock I've got.

Posted: Oct 19, 2014 By: Christiane Member since: Dec 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.