Script

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by bestforsextoys, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bestforsextoys

bestforsextoys UKBF Contributor

387 24
    Hello

We are putting live chat on our website but we are looking for a script so when the live chat is offline they live chat logo disappers i have seen this been used on a few websites

Please let me know if you can help

Thanks
    Austin

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: bestforsextoys Member since: Jun 12, 2009
  2. tony84

tony84 UKBF Legend

6,015 1,139
    Im not sure you need a script for this.

Where the offline image is, just change it to a 1 pixel image, the same colour as your background.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. deadgoodundies

deadgoodundies UKBF Big Shot

839 170
    Yup that's what we used to do , just a 1x1 pixel the same colour as your background.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: deadgoodundies Member since: Aug 1, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. AndyP

AndyP UKBF Big Shot

835 174
    One thing I would say though is that we get plenty of contacts during our closed hours from potential customers asking questions..some later convert to sales.... just because you are closed does not really mean that your live support still can't work for you. Worth a thought.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: AndyP Member since: Oct 11, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hillyer

Hillyer UKBF Regular

270 45
    Yeah, is it not possible to send all responses (when live chat is closed) a message asking them to leave their questions and an email address for you to respond to when you get back online? That way you will also get an address, which is very valuable.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: Hillyer Member since: Feb 19, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. AndyP

AndyP UKBF Big Shot

835 174
    Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: AndyP Member since: Oct 11, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. greenwood-IT

greenwood-IT UKBF Regular

152 32
    Hi Austin,

It really depends on your chat application and how your web server knows your available. It could be as simple as a scheduled job that swaps two HTML pages, one with 'CHAT' and one with 'Leave Message' to match your physical opening hours.

Ideally the web page in question would be able to detect if your chat application is running and then determine if the chat button is suitable. You may want to block certain users in the future by placing a cookie on their machine - were always unavailable for abusive customers etc. :D

I assume your chat application will be visible on all pages, so would probably be part of a global function, perhaps part of the menu drawing logic? Most online chat applications have a support forum where someone will have already discussed this sort of thing....

It would be interesting to hear how useful the 'Live Chat' button is in your line of business and how many 'crank' chats you get. I set one up for a computer sales business and they seemed to just get support conversations as opposed to their intended pre-sales calls. :|

Chat soon.

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 By: greenwood-IT Member since: Oct 31, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. ivebeenstiffed

ivebeenstiffed UKBF Enthusiast

451 65
    You may like to have a look at the chat/support system that I use. It's free and works really well for me. It LiveChat by Volusion.

You have a small client that is installed on your local pc. When you are logged in the website shows a chat image and people can talk to you. If you are logged out it changes the image and gives the opportunity to email you.

Have a look.... i like it. works well for me

http://www.volusion.com/livechat_software.asp

Trev

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 By: ivebeenstiffed Member since: Jul 22, 2008
  9. nickpp

nickpp UKBF Contributor

236 11
    we used to use providesupport, good mac,pc and linux ap or web based, different images for chat open or closed also

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 By: nickpp Member since: Aug 11, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.