Screwfix.com runs out of staff!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by gary, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary

gary UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 3
    You know things are going well when you need 550 staff for your new warehouse, but Screwfix.com can't get enough staff and have had to stop online orders for at least a week! Guess it shows being big can also have its problems. :cry:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3686404.stm

Gary

Posted: Sep 24, 2004 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  2. kyber

kyber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

836 28
    Their original warehouse was not in the most highly populated region of the country.

I remember the first time I visited them (to review their operations and ecommerce systems) getting off a train seemingly in the middle of nowhere, struggling to find a taxi to their offices, and just feeling lonely.

They must have expected no problems getting staff in Stoke-on-Trent.

Posted: Sep 29, 2004 By: kyber Member since: Mar 3, 2004
  3. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,505 598
    550 staff - that's quite some operation.

What a nightmare employing people is.

Hopefully they will soon be out of this fix, or they'll be screwed

HAA ha!

Posted: Sep 29, 2004 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  4. Ozzy

Ozzy Quite simply, me. Full Member - Verified Business

3,401 157
    Boom Boom :)

Posted: Sep 30, 2004 By: Ozzy Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  5. kyber

kyber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

836 28
    Screwfix should benefit from the different seasonal profile of DIY sales compared to many other warehouse dependent businesses. There is a huge demand for temporary staff in the run up to Christmas for most businesses but for DIY Easter, for example, is more of a peak. Screwfix is also very trade orientated which flattens the sales profile somewhat.

IMHO, it will take them time to build up their warehouse staff pool but I think they will have better staff stability than many businesses in the long term.

Stuart

Posted: Oct 2, 2004 By: kyber Member since: Mar 3, 2004
  6. Braglorin

Braglorin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    If Screwfix dont get their act together they will lose many of their trade customers. At present we are stuck trying to find some obscure little door catches that screwfix sell but nowhere around here seems to. Half the joy that was screwfix is that they delieverd next day without fail if you ordered early enough. Now you get an automated message that states that thye are no longer taking orders. This has increased our overheads considerably - especially for smaller jobs, and we have been cursing them for the past week or so. But never mind, I guess it gives me the fun of finding a new supplier - always one of my favourite jobs!

Kath
    awpropertyservices.co.uk

Posted: Oct 4, 2004 By: Braglorin Member since: Apr 6, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.