Scam on different level

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by RBS, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Just want to show you how scammers have changed.

I have received email today:

Dear Sir,
    We received an alert from Agriaffaires that you are interested in a Claas Lexion 600.
    We have a:2007 Claas Lexion 600, £49.000 GBP.
    For more technical details about the machine and for more pictures, please visit the product on our website :
    https://jkempltd.co.uk/listings/2007-claas-lexion-600/
    Our mechanics check everything so that we are sure everything is perfect in regards to the equipment we have on stock and we offer a 6 months warranty for any equipment we sell.
    In case you need the equipment delivered to you, we need your delivery address in order for us to be able to calculate the transport fees from our garage where the item is now located to your location.
    Please let me know if you need further details regarding this offer.

Kind regards,
    Kristian Nyberg
    Sales Representative
    J Kemp LTD Durham
    Rose Cottage, Rose St
    Trimdon Grange, Trimdon Station
    Durham, TS29 6EH
    United Kingdom
    Tel: +44 (0) 1429 450 488
    [email protected]
    ---

1. Email doesn`t sound like it was written by English native speaker.
    2. Its way too cheap, should cost at least 70k.
    3. Tried calling phone number, nobody is picking up.
    4. No company number on webpage.
    5. Domain registered just 2 weeks ago:
    http://whois.domaintools.com/jkempltd.co.uk

6. Website is hosted in Russia.
    7. Email was sent from IP located in Switzerland, IP 31.171.246.215. Probably used proxy/vpn so it doesn`t show up as Russia.
    8. Lookins at email details, it was sent using gmail server:
    Received: from mail-io0-f194.google.com

9. This landline number is not mentioned anywhere else on internet. I wish I could check details who owns that landline.

What worries me most - it looks like real genuine company, with employees, full contact details etc. I have checked companies house - such company does exist at address on webpage!!! They might not even be aware about "their" webpage.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/02645428/officers

Its scary what scammers will do to rip people off. Once you pay the invoice (including door to door delivery), they will dissapear with your money. Not sure what they will do if I offer to go and meet them face to face.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Posted: Mar 9, 2016 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  2. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,738 3,410
    Posted: Mar 9, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  3. Thermodynamic Man

Thermodynamic Man UKBF Regular Free Member

434 70
    [QUOTE="RBS,

Its scary what scammers will do to rip people off. Once you pay the invoice (including door to door delivery), they will dissapear with your money. Not sure what they will do if I offer to go and meet them face to face.[/QUOTE]

Sorry. I am obviously a little thick here but I am missing something here for sure. They have asked for your address so where is the scam at present? Invoicing you for what exactly? Disappear with what money? What are you paying for up front?
    I apologise in advance if this is blatantly obvious but the penny has a long way to drop it seems

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 By: Thermodynamic Man Member since: Aug 20, 2014
  4. Thermodynamic Man

434 70
    by the way... I am not saying this is not a scam... I just don't see how at the moment

5. The Byre

8,738 3,410
    The text and pictures of staff are lifted from a NZ tractor sales company.

The mark pays a 10% deposit on a tractor, the rest to be paid on delivery and then the whole deal vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Blimey! It's no wonder these people keep trying it on, when you can't spot such a blatant and obvious scam!

6. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Byre, how did you find original NZ website ?

7. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Thermodynamic Man, see, this scam is SO good, you still don`t understand the actual scam, even I explained everything in detail A-Z.

Scammers are evolving :( :( :(

8. Thermodynamic Man

434 70
    Sorry Byre.. but nowhere within the OP's post did it say anything about 10%. If it say's it on the website then ok but I didn't open that link. You think me easily scammed?...lol...if only

9. Thermodynamic Man

434 70
    That goes for RBS too

10. Thermodynamic Man

434 70
    Anyway... I think that price is pretty damned good....and when I get my £43m from the Prince in Nigeria I am helping out then I will buy half a dozen...can't wait :p

11. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    I have just reported that domain to registrar, lets hope they take this domain down ASAP.

12. The Byre

8,738 3,410
    This is the next step in ID theft - company ID theft. You find a company that is trading in something that traditionally works on trust and seldom has websites (farm machinery, plant hire, builders and supplies) you build the website and populate it with content and pictures of staff, provide a contact form or email and then get a telephone number redirect for that area. That is the part that is missing here - they still need a VOIP redirect to make the scam work.

10% is the usual deposit one pays on farm machinery to hold until delivery or pick-up has been made.

In this case, you would pay 10% and then take a beaver-tail truck to Durham and go to J.Kemp Ltd. only to find that they just hire out diggers, trailers and telehandlers, have nothing to do with tractors and, more to the point, have never heard of you or your 10%.

And if you go to the registered address for J.Kemp Ltd, John and Virginia Kemp will look at you completely baffled, as it is just an ordinary terraced house.

If they had been able to get a telephone line going in time and been able to find someone to man it with a Geordie accent (possibly someone working from home in the UK, thinking that they are getting a legitimate home job!) RBS may even have fallen for it!

13. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Its scary how good these scams are becoming :(

I wouldn`t fall for it as I know the combine market and I would never buy anything before I actually see it myself. But I bet there are ton of people who will fall for it.

14. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,792 2,608
    Too late, he is just about to transfer it to me!

Posted: Mar 9, 2016 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  15. The Byre

8,738 3,410
    I have just spoken to their neighbours MK Motors and the guy there told me that they have already had people turning up, wanting to see combines, balers and tractors. J.Kemp has moved his company and seems unaware of the scam.

And as soon as the weather gets warmer, I'll get the injection nozzles on my old IH tractor unblocked and do some fun, outdoor stuff!

16. Jeff Nev

Jeff Nev UKBF Regular Free Member

219 24
    Very interesting, thanks for bringing this to light. Crazy how they've started to change up their tactics, but always be vigilant when large amounts of money are being discussed, as well as when someone just contacts you out of the blue...very rarely does this happen for legitimate reasons.

Posted: Mar 11, 2016 By: Jeff Nev Member since: Nov 14, 2013
  17. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Got their domain taken down!!!!

---
    This is update to your notification regarding jKempLtd.co.uk .

The domain has been nuked (disabled) at our end.

Feel free to contact us incase further assistance is required of us.

Regards,
    Abuse Mitigation Team
    Public Domain Registry.

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  18. The Byre

8,738 3,410
    Well done, that man!

Posted: Mar 14, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  19. beasty

beasty , Full Member - Verified Business

2,105 521
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Posted: Mar 23, 2016 By: beasty Member since: Feb 4, 2013
  20. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    What on earth is going on, emailed them again. It definitely wasn`t when they said they have taken it down. Scammers somehow go it back up running.

Posted: Mar 24, 2016 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.