Sales and selling on Play as a whole

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by danny156, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny156

danny156 UKBF Regular Free Member

140 5
    We are in the apparel and accessories category and are potentially looking to expand our channels into Play

What is the Play experience like as a whole - for example selling on Amazon is nice and simple, whereas selling on eBay with them changing rules frequently and the fraud and the site in general is awful to use the general experience is very different, what are people opinion of Play ?

Also compared to Amazon and eBay how do people find traffic and sales on Play, I know each business is different and markets differ but in general is it measurable or is it not worth the effort ?

Cheers
    Danny

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 By: danny156 Member since: Jan 11, 2011
  2. jenkonline

jenkonline UKBF Newcomer Free Member

36 2
    Hi

I trade on play.com with dvds - my experience on play.com as a seller is that it's frustrating.

Uploaded inventory at start of the year (65 listings as a trial) no sales until last two weeks ago and then i had a surge and sold 14 items, past 5 days nothing despite checking listings prices daily to ensure pricing was competetive.

The margin you make on each item is eaten into by play.coms free postage with the ever increasing postage costs.

Buyers seldom read the comments section ie: a sell a selection of dvds disc only (no case/no artwork) yet will often get refund requests stating that they didn't read the descriptions.

Buyers rarely leave feedback.

Despite it's frustrations i have found it a benefical platform when compared to ebay

Cheers

Phill

Posted: Mar 26, 2012 By: jenkonline Member since: Aug 28, 2007
  3. danny156

140 5
    Phil, thanks for the feedback

You mention Plays free postage .. is this across all categories ?

Why considering all those negatives is it still beneficial compared to eBay - I know we have issues with eBay but you just made Play sound like hell - lol

Danny

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: danny156 Member since: Jan 11, 2011
  4. KarlAustin

KarlAustin UKBF Contributor Free Member

54 11
    I can't speak as a seller, but as a purchaser I'd not go anywhere near play.com, and I know a lot of people the same, due to the horrible decline int he customer experience with them over the last 12-24 months - items not delivered, days to get replies, broken items etc.

Granted, that may not be the same experience as they'd receive from a 3rd party seller on there - but it's enough to tar them with the same brush unfortunately.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: KarlAustin Member since: Mar 27, 2012
  5. jenkonline

jenkonline UKBF Newcomer Free Member

36 2
    Hi

Free postage accross all categories I believe.

Benefits compared to ebay ;

Items gernerally have a higher selling price.

Lower fees.

No listing period , items stay on until sold.

Although I say its frustrating at time but as a seller it's "another window in your shop".

Fo me as a small trader play.com is a realitvely easy way of making a nice little earner...

Buy 500 dvds , spend a day listing on play.com and wait till they sell , pop to the post office and once all items sold = Nice little earner that will get me a week in the sun.

If I had the cash to invest in 20 000 blu ray / dvds I would be looking to use a listing tool that would allow me to auto list on play, amazon, ebay as the would all be "another window in my shop".

If i were you I would go for it , spend a day listing X amount of your inventory at a price that your going to make a comortable margin (nice little earner) on and see how it goes.

Cheers

Phill

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: jenkonline Member since: Aug 28, 2007
  6. pbsdirect

pbsdirect UKBF Contributor Free Member

75 11
    Ok so we started a couple of years ago with this. When I started and signed up ect I didnt realise that there are "closed listings" They maintained send us a feed with URL's ect and we will add everything to our catalogue... This was always such a lengthy process that by the time we sent the feed they had like uploaded it weeks later by which time we had sold out of stuff. Also in feeds we sent were lots of items that they listed and then hounded our suppliers and bought themselves barring us from selling ..
    So the major neg is that we had quite a lot of sales, not one left feedback unless it was negative.
    We have opened a new account in the past few months and are trying again. So yeh do not expect a massive volume of sales, but we are willing to give a second shot, there is only A&E + them - its all just advertising in the end of the day m expensive but brings sales..

Posted: Mar 27, 2012 By: pbsdirect Member since: Aug 12, 2010
  7. j600com

j600com UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

741 201
    In my experience the numbers are significantly lower than eBay and Amazon so I'd look at those first (if you aren't already doing them of course).

Posted: Mar 28, 2012 By: j600com Member since: Apr 27, 2011
  8. danny156

140 5
    Surely the volumes can't be that low that you might not cover your costs ?? :S

Posted: Mar 30, 2012 By: danny156 Member since: Jan 11, 2011
  9. AbsolutNut

AbsolutNut UKBF Regular Free Member

173 39
    Play.com (Play Direct) - awful company.

I have commented on Play before. Yes, we sell on there but only get a very small number of sales. Amazon is our main marketplace.

Play.com in Jersey only became so successful because they were able to take advantage of the LVCR (Low Value Consignment Relief) which has now been made defunct from yesterday by the UK treasury (2nd April - and good riddance to it).

They got more and more complacent and customer service is awful. We know because we have purchased a lot from Play.com (and I mean a lot) as we used to flip products by buying from Play.com and re-selling them on the UK mainland.

As a sales platform - no where near as efficient and smooth as Amazon or perhaps even eBay. We have found it cumbersome. You can't even upload more than 1 image of your product if you are adding your own products to their catalogue. Oh, you also can't do this yourself you have to request their team to do it. Too much work and hassle for too little reward.

It will be interesting to see how Play fair now that they cannot use LVCR.

The party is over.

Steve :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    Posted: Apr 3, 2012 By: AbsolutNut Member since: May 17, 2010
  10. danny156

140 5
    Steve

Fantastic post thank you

I had no idea you could list your own products with them that you had to get them to do it for you and as we are apparel and accessories it would be almost impossible to sell some items with 1 image

Thanks again you have really helped me make up my mind

Danny

Posted: Apr 3, 2012 By: danny156 Member since: Jan 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.